OT - As you wish...

Guest admos

• Members

Hmm. You say, "OT - As you wish." Is this to say you are being sensitive to the interests of the membership, or is there another motivation for your actions? (Or perhaps you can't or won't say?)

You also say, "Don't gloat too much." That sounds almost ominous. Are you upset with those who objected to segregating the OT material?

Hmm. You say, "OT - As you wish." Is this to say you are being sensitive to the interests of the membership, or is there another motivation for your actions? (Or perhaps you can't or won't say?)

You also say, "Don't gloat too much." That sounds almost ominous. Are you upset with those who objected to segregating the OT material?

No other motivations.

I was trying to help and it backfired. Oh well. Next!

• Members

I think you'll find over time that it frequently does with this bunch. My suggestion is to do as little as possible and let them live in their own mess. That policy seems to have been well liked in the past even though I remember the flame wars that resulted because We Don't Need No Stinkin' Admin Tellin' Us What To Do.

We Don't Need No Stinkin' Admin Tellin' Us What To Do.

I've seen too many new members give the HCAG a try and then leave to believe that. Enjoy.

• Members

I've seen too many new members give the HCAG a try and then leave to believe that. Enjoy.

You can say that about restaurants, too. Are you looking for 100% retention? If so, lemme interest you in some ocean front property in Idaho.

Deep says "let them live in their own mess", meaning, it's a measure of something less than his own desires. Simply put, there just isn't a forum anywhere that keeps the guitar-speak interesting enough to be self-evident. You're not gonna get the forum all fired up and constantly stoked on acoustic guitar topics. It's a small device with only so many parts built in a finite number of ways short of gimmickry. How do I know? It's already been exponentially discussed right here. The forum and it's history is old now. It's all grown up. It's a comfortable bar, fishing pier, hang-out and a coat of paint and change in barkeepers isn't going to turn back that clock. You did not fail, though your remark about gloating is symbolic of it. You just don't know people - yet.

So, when will my sig become obsolete?

• Members

:thu:

Wow. Just Wow. Am I the only one here with a functioning sarcasm detector? My comment about not needing admins followed right after "flame wars that resulted". In recent memory, the forum has gotten out of hand and degenerated into flame wars over silly crap but oh, no, we don't need any guidance, referee, hall monitor, etc. We're doing fine, thanks. (That was more sarcasm, BTW.)

I happen to agree that new members have left because of the bickering. One or two have left because there were rules but the majority of new members who have left have done so because of us, not HC's policies or management. To make sure I'm not driving people away, I no longer mention that a thread is several years old; I simply note the creation date and don't post at all if it's an old thread.

When I joined, this was a nice place. It still is, for the most part. But I don't know whether I would've stayed if it were like it is today. For me, Idunno's comment about a comfortable bar can best be interpreted as "We used to get free drinks and nobody kept us from driving home drunk but the new bartender spoiled it all." It's about my desires in the sense that I want a civil community that doesn't bash each other or the management. Perhaps he desires something else.

You did not fail' date=' though your remark about gloating is symbolic of it. You just don't know people - yet.[/quote']

I've been here (HCAG) many times over the past 10 years. I know it all too well. Assuming someone is a just a "newbie", or not a seasoned musician or not intelligent or not worth treating with respect because of their post count is not a gazillion seems to be a reoccurring theme here.

True nuff you guys own this - and you obviously don't think you need anyones help. After all the "admosphere" is the equal to the dark side, right? Especially when the admin has a low post count.

For the record, I own a Big Goose Goodall, a Taylor 314CE for gigging and take my Blueridge on every vacation. Thirty-five years on the acoustic and still going strong. Not bad for a post count of 103 - as far as the HCAG is concerned.

Oh yeah, and 25 years as an software engineer and biz dev guy in Silicon Valley.

A nickels worth of free advice... Assume the best in someone before you assume the worst, and treat all newcomers, even the admins, with respect.

You'll find me over in the Community Voice section if you want to have a conversation.

I leave it at this... Enjoy the world you've created, and continue to perpetuate.

Peace out!

• Members

This place is like an old docker's pub in the middle of a modern containerized port.

You will mainly find old geezers here, people complaining that the good old days of general cargo are gone and that those modern tin boxes aren't the real thing.

Should a tourist or a container gantry crane driver by chance find his way into the pub, he won't be greeted with enthusiasm and it might take a while to get aquainted to the collection of strange personalities here.

Apparently, like the docker's pub, this institution is not going to survive in the long run. The "dark side" attracts a lot of attention, this quaint corner is not attracting as much interest and that's it....

• Members

In times past, a moderator's stern hand would have put an end to some of the flame wars and other blatant unpleasantries. I suppose some would argue that even that would be too much moderation.

In current times, the moderator's control has become a bit excessive. I also suppose some would argue that even that is not enough moderation.

So with too much control, HCAG could become like AGF, admittedly a pretty sterile place... or with not enough control, it could become like the Political Party or Open Jam, admittedly a pretty unpleasant place.

Anarchy is on one side, totalitarian suppression of all free thought is on the other. There has to be some rule of law though. How much law is enough is the question.

As to our rapport with new members, AKA noobs, Karsten's analogy of the bar is an excellent one.

And face it, there are those among us who aren't fooled by the allegedly "innocent noobs" dredging up five year old threads.

• Members

I've been here (HCAG) many times over the past 10 years. I know it all too well. Assuming someone is a just a "newbie", or not a seasoned musician or not intelligent or not worth treating with respect because of their post count is not a gazillion seems to be a reoccurring theme here.

True nuff you guys own this - and you obviously don't think you need anyones help. After all the "admosphere" is the equal to the dark side, right? Especially when the admin has a low post count.

For the record, I own a Big Goose Goodall, a Taylor 314CE for gigging and take my Blueridge on every vacation. Thirty-five years on the acoustic and still going strong. Not bad for a post count of 103 - as far as the HCAG is concerned.

Oh yeah, and 25 years as an software engineer and biz dev guy in Silicon Valley.

A nickels worth of free advice... Assume the best in someone before you assume the worst, and treat all newcomers, even the admins, with respect.

You'll find me over in the Community Voice section if you want to have a conversation.

I leave it at this... Enjoy the world you've created, and continue to perpetuate.

Peace out!

Defeat is an awful badge to wear if you choose to wear it. Evidently, you are a wounded bird and have taken it with your back to a wall of your own making. What's wrong with you? You bring the Charge Of The Light Brigade to an unsuspecting populace minding it's own business, fail at its gates in a marvelous display of Don Quixote pretense and then paradoxically tells us you know what you're doing. Are you front office staff?

Fair well and adieu to you young Spanish ladies

Fair well and adieu to you ladies of Spain

I'm thinking you're short.

Archived