Closest guitar to a Martin D-28?

Verence

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Based on my experience (somewhat limited) and what I frequently read, Blueridge probably does the Martin sound better than most. I played one of their models, based on pre-war Martin bracing, etc. and it was thunderous. Rumbled quitre a bit more than my HD-28.

• Members

Blueridge models in spruce & rosewood. Aria AD-80 is close to a dead ringer for a D-42 (which is Martin of the D-28 ilk with more bling).

Here's a pic of my AD-80, with my "real" Martin D-41 on the left and Johnson JO-27 in the middle:

IMG_0302.jpg

The AD-80 is a VERY good sounding guitar; I paid $549, shipped with a case.

• Members

A friend brought his D-28 over to my house last year. I have a Sigma DR-41 which is modeled after the Martin D-41 and is authorized by Martin. The headstock even says Sigma Martin.

I got to compare these very carefully for about 20 minutes back and forth. This was in addition to jamming with my buddy for a couple hours.

My Sigma DR-41 compared very, very nicely. I knew he was coming over, so I put new strings on to make my guitar shine. Both guitars played with rich harmonics and balanced tone. The D-28 had a better bottom end. It was tighter and louder. The D-28 is a better guitar, but the DR-41 is no slouch....especially for $400.

I believe the DR-41 has been discontinued and prices are not going down. I see ebay auctions for used ones around $300 or $400 with HSC. On mine, the top bowed up a tiny bit. I lowered the saddle and the action is nice.

Also, if appearance makes any difference, the DR-41 has abalone inlay on the fretboard and and rosette. It looks very nice.

My DR-41 will be getting a new friend this week. A Martin 000-15s is on the way.... The DR-41 is a keeper though. I've played the crap out of it over the last 4 years, and just dressed the frets. Ahhhh, that really put the magic back into her!!!!!

• Members

A friend brought his D-28 over to my house last year. I have a Sigma DR-41 which is modeled after the Martin D-41 and is authorized by Martin. The headstock even says Sigma Martin.

I got to compare these very carefully for about 20 minutes back and forth. This was in addition to jamming with my buddy for a couple hours.

My Sigma DR-41 compared very, very nicely. I knew he was coming over, so I put new strings on to make my guitar shine. Both guitars played with rich harmonics and balanced tone. The D-28 had a better bottom end. It was tighter and louder. The D-28 is a better guitar, but the DR-41 is no slouch....especially for $400.

I believe the DR-41 has been discontinued and prices are not going down. I see ebay auctions for used ones around $300 or $400 with HSC. On mine, the top bowed up a tiny bit. I lowered the saddle and the action is nice.

Also, if appearance makes any difference, the DR-41 has abalone inlay on the fretboard and and rosette. It looks very nice.

My DR-41 will be getting a new friend this week. A Martin 000-15s is on the way.... The DR-41 is a keeper though. I've played the crap out of it over the last 4 years, and just dressed the frets. Ahhhh, that really put the magic back into her!!!!!

I've played a number of Sigma DR-41's and found them to be pretty good guitars. They certainly have the look (as they should, since they're Martin's imported budget line). I can't say that I've played one that truly sounded like a D-28, but they do have something of the signature Martin sound. I hadn't heard that they'd been discontinued; if so, that's unfortunate. I used to see the DR-41 going new for around $399. If Martin has given up on them, I suspect it's because of the success of Blueridge, which itself is now getting competition from Morgan Monroe, Johnson and Aria. All of those makers offer all solid-wood Martin-style guitars for not much more than the Sigma DR-41.

The OP might also consider a used Martin Shenandoah D-28. The components for these were manufactured in Japan and assembled in the U.S., and apart from the absence of the neck volute, are pretty close to the U.S. models (albeit with laminate back and sides, like the Sigmas). You can find specimens in excellent condition on eBay for around $800, possibly less. Read more here:

http://www.mguitar.com/services/faq.php?id=17&qCat=Historical

• Members

I would think Blueridge is a great one to look at, I played one a year ago and it was awesome. But I have two Fullerton Batsto model dreads and I'll be damned if they aren't awesome. Workmanship and sound. I liked the first one so much, I bought another one. I think they are discontinued. That Aria looks interesting.

The best guitar I have ever played in my life was a Martin D-41. But... over three grand at that time... out of my league. But man, that is what a great guitar is all about. It was effortless to play.

• Members

Thanks everbuddy, all of your suggestions are appreciated.

I looked for all of the models mentioned, but couldn't really find any good deals. I did find a decent-looking Fullerton, though. Whadda ya' think? Should I save my money and wait for a good deal on an Aria or Blueridge or Takoma or Sigma, or is the Fullerton worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290142174403&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

• Members

Generally, if you move up from a $100 to a $500 guitar, you get tremendous increase in value. I have routinely observed the difference.

From $500 to $1000, the slope continues to rise well.

From $1000 on up, the law of diminishing returns sets in. The benefits of owning a high end guitar are very personal. Even still, part of me wants a $4000 guitar.

I just bought a Martin 000-15S that is on the way. $999 MF. Part of me says $1000 is the most money that is reasonable to spend on an acoustic, even though I can afford a $4000 guitar.

You will not be sorry to get a $500 guitar.

• Members

Thanks everbuddy, all of your suggestions are appreciated.

I looked for all of the models mentioned, but couldn't really find any good deals. I did find a decent-looking Fullerton, though. Whadda ya' think? Should I save my money and wait for a good deal on an Aria or Blueridge or Takoma or Sigma, or is the Fullerton worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290142174403&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

If that Batsto is anything like the one I got when Music 123 was blowing them out, you should be very pleased. Mine sounds more like an all solid wood guitar than one with lam sides and back. I have played or owned several dreads in the $400-500 range that can't hold a candle to it's tone.

I have some decent guitars in my stable, including the HD-28 which some have said exhibits the classic Martin tone (at least post-war). Though the Batsto can't compete with the HD, it still acquits itself quite well, in comparison. It certainly is "reminiscent" of the Martin tone. I know laminate sides and back are not supposed to impart the sound of the tonewood used, but mine definitely has a spruce over rosewood tone. At the price they are asking, it is a great bargain. I am actually tempted to snag it myself for the office!;)

• Members

I just got a Blueridge BR-40 last week at a local M & P shop for $369.00 with no case (had one already) and it is Awesome. I cannot believe this guitar is this nice and sounds so good so cheap. I'm gonna buy another as soon as I get the money in case they ever decide to go up on them.

• Members

In addition to the ones previously mentioned (althogh I'd leave Fullerton out of the equation), look at the used "lawsuit" Takamines if you can find them. I haven't A/B'd them with Martins, let alone an HD-28, but they're supposed to be pretty good, since they were essentially Martin copies. However, IMHO, they tend to be overpriced. Stay away from dealers and try CraigsList or maybe a pawn shop.

• Members

What would be the closest-sounding guitar to a Martin D-28 under, say, $500?

I'm more than willing to buy used.

UMM,A broken martin D-28???...But,If you want to play pretend..Sigma or blueridge..Man if I could produce the guitar you want I would be STUPID_RICH!!!!!!!

• Members

I realize That Yairi's are much more expensive these days, but I had a DY55 for years that was very much a Martin guitar in looks and sound. I bought it used for $300 back in the late 80's. I think you could still find a used one for a reasonable price with a bit of a search.

RT1

• Members

UMM,A broken martin D-28???...But,If you want to play pretend..Sigma or blueridge..Man if I could produce the guitar you want I would be STUPID_RICH!!!!!!!

Notice I didn't say "a guitar under $500 that sounds EXACTLY LIKE a Martin D-28". :rolleyes:

I just want to get as close to that sound as possible. :p

• Members

I've played two lower level Sigma's than the DR-41 that I did not like at all.

I think its reasonable to try to find the Martin sound on a $500 budget. But it sure is satisfying to have the real thing!

I would get a D-28 except that after hearing a few, I could not justify spending the money. My DR-41 is close enough. But when I played the Martin 000-15S, I felt it was a solid $1000 of value. Also, it is different enough not to duplicate other instruments.

Of course that's my own preference and belief structure.

I hope more will chime in with their "My $500 guitar sounds EXACTLY like a Martin" stories!

In my experience, price is a good indicator of performance... of course, according to the law of diminishing returns as discussed above.

That being said, I will soon open a thread about my recent $4000 guitar experience in Kona, Hawaii.

• Members

I own a fairly new Blueridge BR-160, solid spruce/rosewood. Of course the price is a bit higher than someone wanting a $500. dollar guitar.

If you can find a BR-160 to play, and especially change the strings over to Martin "SP" Phosphor Bronze light gauge strings, or medium gauge D'Addario phosphor bronze, that will really bring out the tone of the BR-160.

It's worth the extra money in the long run to reach for this model, if you decide on a Blueridge I mean.

If you decide to stay with a $500. price range, try looking at a Morgan Monroe M-20 solid spruce/rosewood dreadnaught, and the Morgan Monroe M-55V. You can find them at www.centsiblesounds.com or at www.instrumentalley.com

• Members

Blueridge models in spruce & rosewood. Aria AD-80 is close to a dead ringer for a D-42 (which is Martin of the D-28 ilk with more bling).

Here's a pic of my AD-80, with my "real" Martin D-41 on the left and Johnson JO-27 in the middle:

IMG_0302.jpg

The AD-80 is a VERY good sounding guitar; I paid $549, shipped with a case.

Don that's about the 4th time you've posted that picture of your D-42... Please.. please stop posting it. Repeated posting of that picture is going to have seriously implications on my finances which will then have very negative effects on my relationship.

Archived