New Mexican guitar-thing day

sixgunner455

• Members

I hope this picture attaches!

My wife and I are on vacation in Cozumel with some family, and we went to the music store here today, since the tropical storm we're sitting under made going to the beach kind of pointless. I was hoping that they had something decent, different, and interesting. There certainly were some things. I don't have a 100 dollar Mexican guitar, so I didn't feel like I was wasting my time, no matter what they ended up having in the store.

Got this 1/2 sized guitar, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than any pint-sized instrument ought to. Like they really mean to play them. The shop owner calls this a "rey qinta", and he told me to tune the top and bottom strings to A. In other words, when tuned, it should sound like a regular guitar with a capo on the fifth fret. Sounds kind of like a ukelele, but with more body.

Lots of interesting instruments in the shop. Big old guitarrons, manolins (mandolina, here), tenor ukelele, etc. Thought about getting one of the tiny little armadillo-backed things (can't remember the word), but I decided that this is different enough. Let's not get too crazy, here!

There was a picture of Willie Nelson in the shop of him playing a guitar in the shop back in 1997.

• Members

Requinto Romantico...usually tuned a 5th higher than a conventional guitar and often the "lead guitar" in a mariachi group.

esta3se1.png

HNGD nice looking guitar :thu:

Only one thing missing there Terry in the pic is the Hula-hoop lass in the straw skirt

Mind ye a prefer to see a Mexican guy play guitar wearing the sombrero

just sitting outside some bar Clint Eastwood style like in the

spaghetti Westerns :)

• Members

HNGD nice looking guitar
:thu:

Only one thing missing there Terry in the pic is the Hula-hoop lass in the straw skirt

Ummmm...that would be Hawaiian...
:p

Mind ye a prefer to see a Mexican guy play guitar wearing the sombrero

just sitting outside some bar Clint Eastwood style like in the

spaghetti Westerns
:)

Yeah, that's a valid option, too... :poke:

mariachi-torrez.jpg

• Members

Requinto Romantico...usually tuned a 5th higher than a conventional guitar and often the "lead guitar" in a mariachi group.

Aha! I thought you would know exactly what it is. It's fun to noodle around on it. Strings are settling down a bit, so it's holding a tune quite a bit better than it did yesterday.

Thanks for the goats and monkeys, everyone. :D Haven't seen any monkeys yet. Bunch of iguanas, though.

• Members

Aha! I thought you would know exactly what it is. It's fun to noodle around on it. Strings are settling down a bit, so it's holding a tune quite a bit better than it did yesterday.

Found me one a few years ago and spent the 1st few months trying different string sets, hoping to find one where I could tune it E to E...no luck, so far.

Thanks for the goats and monkeys, everyone.
:D
Haven't seen any monkeys yet. Bunch of iguanas, though.

Iguanas are often called "pollo si los

• Members
I hope this picture attaches!

My wife and I are on vacation in Cozumel with some family, and we went to the music store here today, since the tropical storm we're sitting under made going to the beach kind of pointless. I was hoping that they had something decent, different, and interesting. There certainly were some things. I don't have a 100 dollar Mexican guitar, so I didn't feel like I was wasting my time, no matter what they ended up having in the store.

Got this 1/2 sized guitar, but it sounds a heck of a lot better than any pint-sized instrument ought to. Like they really mean to play them. The shop owner calls this a "rey qinta", and he told me to tune the top and bottom strings to A. In other words, when tuned, it should sound like a regular guitar with a capo on the fifth fret. Sounds kind of like a ukelele, but with more body.

Lots of interesting instruments in the shop. Big old guitarrons, manolins (mandolina, here), tenor ukelele, etc. Thought about getting one of the tiny little armadillo-backed things (can't remember the word), but I decided that this is different enough. Let's not get too crazy, here!

There was a picture of Willie Nelson in the shop of him playing a guitar in the shop back in 1997.

Once, wandering around the back streets of Tijuana (in simpler, safer times), I stumbled into what was clearly not a tourist oriented stringed instrument shop. I think I followed in a couple of guys who had the look of seasoned mariachis. In addition to guitarrones, guitars, quatros, quintos, etc, they had this wild lute on acid thing and a bunch of other stringed instruments that I wasn't familiar with. The shop had the dark, well-seasoned, woody feel appropriate to such a business, a couple of craftsmen in the back in shop clothes. It was utterly cool.

Archived