ABY Pedal Help.....

hellion_213

• Members

I know this is slightly OT, but I recently bought an ABY Pedal, its my avatar right now. I run all of my pedals (see Sig) minus the Purple Smoke in front of the amp. I've tried plugging the ABY in before and after the pedalboard and cannot get my 6505 to Not squeal with the pedal engaged in any configuration. I'm splitting with a White Horse Half Stack, which accepts the signal fine. Any ideas? Id like to keep the Decimator and Sonic Stomp in line for both amps if possible. Dedicating the Whammy and Wah is an option......I don't know, I'm kind of stuck. I was hoping to have the ability to run two amps on stage. I'm the only guitarist, and thought it'd be cool to cover both sides, different tones.

• Members

Is that box just a passive split or a buffered one with a power supply? If just passive the amps aren't going to enjoy themselves as you switch to Y in my experience. A buffered one that feeds each output as if it's the only amp is definitely a win.

I'll get called a cork-sniffer for this no doubt. ;) "Back in the day we'd use a piece of tinfoil and we LIKED it. You ever see Hendrix with a buffered ABY box?"

• Members
Is that box just a passive split or a buffered one with a power supply? If just passive the amps aren't going to enjoy themselves as you switch to Y in my experience. A buffered one that feeds each output as if it's the only amp is definitely a win.

I'll get called a cork-sniffer for this no doubt. ;) "Back in the day we'd use a piece of tinfoil and we LIKED it. You ever see Hendrix with a buffered ABY box?"

I think you have some valid points there. In Y mode You are essentially connecting the two inputs with a single cord if the pedal is at the end of the chain. He may have some input impedance issues between the two amps when this is done. If one amps impedance is higher the second amps impedance may be drawing the first amps impedance down and doing something strange there.

But since he's tried this unit at the beginning of the chain, I'm not sure this is the case. The pedals are in between the ABY and amp and act as a buffer.

First thing I suggest is to open the unit and look to see if there are some bad connections. Maybe there's a loose ground causing a problem or there could be a problem with the switch latching. Take some pics and post them here. I've built dozens of these boxes and they are as simple as can be. I may spot something you don't.

The one amp may not like having an open jack or sharing the input impedance. High gain amps can be finicky about the signals they and share. The box build may actually be causing a microphonic effect to that particular amp. LED's are diodes. If they are connected to a DPDT switch they share the amp signal connection and giving off some resonance that's being amplified. Your better boxes isolate the LED by giving its own row of switch contacts like using a 3PDT instead of a DPDT. It could be the switch isn't fully latching and the DC is leaking into the signal circuit. If it is buffered it has a 1:1 gain stage the amp may just not like.

I can only guess at this point because I have no idea what pedal it is.

One option to think about. If your idea is to run two amps on stage, Using an ABY might be the wrong way to go.

I sure wouldn't want to be the musician on the other side of the stage having to deal with an amp being turned completely off and on. Switching effects on that amp would be one thing. I sure wouldn't want it turned off and on by a Y switch and having to deal with major volume dropouts like that. You'd be screwing with my comfortable volume levels and what's comfortable for me on stage. You either keep it on or off, that's it.

What I suggest is taking that box back and getting a dual looper pedal instead. Use your pedals common to both amps early in the chain. Next split the chain using a pedal that has a mono in and stereo out. Chorus pedals often have this feature and it doesn't have to be on. You can then run pedals independent of each after the split. You can use a loop pedal to combine several pedals for each amp after the split if you choose. Then a single stomp will turn them all off.

How well this might work depends on the pedal order you might want.

I've run stereo amps for decades. I've tried every combination you can think of. I get the best results in simply using a stereo chorus and/or a stereo echo at the end of the chain for the split. The pedals buffered so amps see a signal independent of each other.

Of course I could stick additional effects after the split or in the amps effects loops but i find it winds up getting too complex to operate with a single foot. Your focus stops being on the music as you try and play MR Sound Engineer at the same time. Most people don't give a dam anyway. They just want to see a show not some guy hop around on one leg ass kicking contest (unless you loose your balance and fall which may be talked about)

A pan or auto pan pedal, can be pretty cool too but then you're right back to having the volume dip and rise on the other side of the stage. The Drummer may be OK with this kind of panning because he can hear both amps but the bassist on the other sides only going to hear 1/2 the sound as you will. Having your guitar disappear behind him when you flip the switch when he isn't expecting it can lead to a train wreak.

Stereo effects are mostly for your benefit of the player, not others. The audience isn't going to hear that effect unless you have a stereo PA and mic the amps. Even then it gets old real quick and you're hauling allot for extra gear to gigs they doesn't get noticed. Your sound man can run stereo effects (if you have one). That's where they can sound the best. On stage, they can be more of a distraction then a benefit. Twice the gear beans twice the tweaking and twice the problems when things go wrong.

Nothing wrong with trying it of course. You wont know what works and doesn't first hand otherwise. Just don't expect it to be as exciting as you envision.

Can you do a basic diagram for us of how you have everything connected? That will help us track down any issues.

You can do it with text if you want... something like...

Guitar -> fuzz A - ABY =>

ABY A Side: Effect 1 -> Effect 2 -> Amp 1

ABY B Side: Effect 3 -> Effect 4 -> Amp 2

Effect Loop: Effect 5

• Members

Some very good points WR. Im mainly going for the stereo thing, make the sound fuller. Would probably suck for the bass if I dropped levels on one side all of a sudden, lol. Unless, of course, you're covering Domination, then it would be expected. I do like the idea of a pan effect, probably wouldn't want to use it more than in one song though.

The stereo delay might be worth looking into. Thanks!

Archived