Bittersweet Guitar Acquisition (Rickenbacker content)

bee3

• Members

I've sort of inherited this guitar, at least for now, from a troubled friend of mine. You may remember a post I made a few years ago where a couple of friends of mine and I had done an intervention for him and tried to get him help. At that time, we pooled together some money and bought him a guitar and amp as well... something for him to focus on as he worked through his troubles.

Things didn't really pan out... he's gone downhill even further. I found out a few months ago that he jumped ship and moved to Key Largo... and now is in jail. It's terribly sad. He left all his possessions behind at a mutual friend's house, one of which was a Fender Rhodes I had given him back in the 90s. Long story short, our mutual friend asked me to come over and help sort through his stuff... he has to find somewhere to store it. I retrieved my Rhodes and rescued this Rickenbacker 330/12. The Ric was something he always offered to loan to me indefinitely for as long as I needed it... On my way home from getting this stuff, I called him... (this was before he was in jail)... and let him know that I have the Rhodes and Ric and when he comes home, they'll be all fixed up and waiting for him.

Yesterday, I finally took the Ric to a friend who is really savvy with guitar work. He's cleaned it up... said it had 20 years of filth and grime caked on it... he's cutting a new pickguard as we speak. Can't wait to see it.

Here's to hoping my buddy makes it back up here and gets playing again. In the meantime, this beautiful Ric is in good hands.

IMG_2514_zps0af4f808.jpg

• Members

Sorry to hear of your friend's misfortunes. At least he can rest easy in knowing some of his valuables are with a true friend rather than a pawn shop. Maybe incarceration will straighten him out and you'll get your friend back. In the meantime, enjoy that Ric in great health and conscience!

• Members

As far as 12 string electrics go -that would be my choice . i own an old 60's era Vox phantom 12 ( need tuners -which are impossible to find )

The rick would be my choice if i could ever swing it -

your a nice person for doing that - i know having a decent guitar around threw tough times helps -

your friend will appreciate what you did for him - God bless you !

Archived