Epiphone freebie...

hrcnsfan

• Members

Hello all. Been a while since I've been here but thought I'd post and ask a question. A few weeks ago a buddy of mine gave me this Epiphone and said to do with it what I want...sell it, play it, whatever. He bought it used a number of years ago with the intention of learning to play...but that never happened. Anyway, at first I didn't give it much thought. But after putting on some new strings and a couple adjustments it was feeling pretty good. So I decided to rewire it with some new pots and orange drop caps. I also replaced the pickups with a set of Rio Grande Texas/BBQ humbuckers (that I recently bought used for $100). I know some might equate that with putting lipstick on a pig but it plays, feels, and sounds fantastic now...much better than I ever would have expected. The serial number tells me it's a 1991 G-400. Made in Korea. Trying to decide if I should keep it or sell it. Does anyone have an educated opinion on what I should ask if I decide to sell? I searched but couldn't find any info on sales of a G-400 from this year. Here she is. Total investment...$140 and about an hour of time. Opinions welcomed. 98721965-762D-4063-89A7-A1F192015A6D_zpskstlnter.jpg

• Members

Yeah I've got other pickups I could put in if I decide to sell. Either the original ones or a set that's currently in my Carvin. Those are a Classic 57 neck and a Seth Lover bridge pickup. I'm curious how the Rio Grande set would sound in the Carvin anyway. Oh well, not too worried about selling right now. Just gonna play it for a while I think.

• Members

I'd keep it. Sounds like a keeper for sure.

PS: Your free Epi is a lot better than the free Epi I go about 10 years ago. My free Epi was a plywood "Strat" with a maple bolt-on "Explorer" neck. I ended up giving it to a co-worker about a year later to give to his kid. The kid is in college now and still has that geetar.

Archived