X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone SG-400 1966 limited edition vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

Hi guys,

I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and have decided to treat myself on a new electric guitar. Since I'm not really thinking of spending much, I have considered these 2 guitars as they were both sold at the same price on ebay (Brand new).

So here's my question, which of the 2 guitars would you choose and why? Please give me your opinions. (unbias with the shape of the guitar).

Thanks guys!

If your not set on a Gibson type you might hold out and see what the next Fender-Friday deal is going to be. They have been blowing out guitars at great prices recently. Yesterdays was a Fender Blackout Tele for $299 that usually goes for around $600.

At any rate...Of those two I would get the LP type because I am not a huge fan of those vintage SG neck joints.

For the $550 or so on that LP you are kind of close to the used price of a Les Paul Studio with hard case. I would prol' just save the extra cash. You can find them on CL for about $700.

Comment

Both are good choices. If you don't already have a LP-style guitar, that might be a better choice. I would still lean toward the G-400 - it's a really nice, fun guitar with a fast neck and lots of tonal variation.
      i'll meet you at the bottom if there really is one. they tell me when you hit it you'll know it. i've been falling so long it's like gravity is gone and i'm just floating.

Comment

The LP kicks the SG in the pants!
        The LP is heavier, stronger, can be twirled around without fear of snapping a thin neckjoint....
        so of course the choice is yours, but if you don't already own one, I'd say Go For The LP
        FTW!!!
        60's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
        Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass
        Acoustic B200/115
        Sansamp DI/Boss TU-3
        Marshall MGHDFX-100/a
        Digitech RP-355

Comment

I happen to have one of each of those guitars. Plus a strat copy. I play 'em all, switching around from one to another depending on my mood (the strat very rarely though, I'm really a Gibson guy.) I like 'em both, but if I could only have one it'd be the SG, hands down. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

I can't say enough about how much I LOVE that slim-taper neck. Sometimes I think I should buy 3 or 4 of those SGs and keep them sealed in their boxes. Then if I were ever to buy another guitar I'll have an extra Epi SG neck to transplant onto it.

You'll want to immediately put new strings and a better nut on whichever one you get, and I'll be upgrading the pickups on mine soon, but you can wait on that. The stock P'ups aren't awfull, but they're not great either. What can you expect for a guitar at that price though? I'm also planning on putting 500k pots on the LP but that's more a matter of personal taste, and if you go w/ the SG get a pack of 11s. It sounds absolutely fantastic w/ heavy strings.

So I give two BIG thumbs up to the SG. But either way, you'll be happy.

And, for the very best idea- Buy both!!
          You've been told many times before,
          Messiahs pointed to the door,
          no one had the guts to leave the temple.

My guitars

Stock PRS SE Single Cut
          Epi G-400 1966 Limited Edit. w/ split Burstbuckers
          Epi LP Std w/ GFS P-90s

My amps

Bugera V22 w/ NOS glass. Very,very sweet.
          Super Champ XD.
          Raven 20 (Which I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like.)

Comment

The LP is heavier, stronger, can be twirled around without fear of snapping a thin neckjoint....
            so of course the choice is yours, but if you don't already own one, I'd say Go For The LP
            FTW!!!

I worried about the SG being fragile too, but it just hasn't been the case. It's a whisp of a neck, but it's taken some punishment and been just fine in spite of it. It's been dropped and knocked around several times. Had beer spilled on it, been stepped on by my kids, and so far it's OK.

And hell, take a look at YouTube and see how hard ole' Pete had smash those things on the floor to get 'em to break! They're tougher than they look.
            You've been told many times before,
            Messiahs pointed to the door,
            no one had the guts to leave the temple.

My guitars

Stock PRS SE Single Cut
            Epi G-400 1966 Limited Edit. w/ split Burstbuckers
            Epi LP Std w/ GFS P-90s

My amps

Bugera V22 w/ NOS glass. Very,very sweet.
            Super Champ XD.
            Raven 20 (Which I'm embarrassed to admit that I actually like.)

Comment

I've owned an SG, LP and a Sheraton.

From Best to worst:

Sheraton: My main guitar, awesome thing after you change the bridge (sustain) and pickups. All around solid work horse with nice tone.

LP: Solid guitar, could be better, but I didn't expect a lot more for the price.

SG: bitch to keep in tune and I hated the neck, comfortable, but heavy for the body. I think mine was a bad one, but I won't buy one ever again.
              Rig:

Guitars:Gibson SG Special, Gibson LP Junior
              Acoustic:Epiphone EJ200ce, Yamaha FG411
              Pedals & FX: EHX Big Muff, Noisemaker FX supernova,
              Line 6 DL4, Onerr Tremolo, Fender Tuner
              Amps Vox AC15, Fender Mustang I

Comment

Thanks for the reply, guys.

The retail price for the sg is AU$799 while the retail price for the lespaul is about AU$1000. Both have similar hardware. (eg. the grover tuners, mahogany neck, and the crappy muddy alnico pickups) Pickups don't bother me since I'll be changing them anyway. I really don't see why should the lespaul be worth more than the sg when they have similar hardware. If it's the wood, they don't use very good wood for epiphone anyway, right?

Assuming i'll be getting 1 bad guitar, and then save up for 1 good guitar, which combination would be best/ideal/wise..etc?

Epiphone SG-400 1966 ltd edition + Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus top

OR

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top + Gibson SG Standard

Sorry for all the weird questions i ask. Thanks guys.

Comment

I tried a couple SG's and just didn't get on with anuy of them. I have and Epi Ultra II which is really a nice guitar and the nanomag gives it a nice acoustic effect too. It's an acoustic-electric and a traditional LP all wrapped in one and worth the extra$, Plus it's light due to the chambered body. By blending the nanomag and the bridge pickup, you can do a pretty convincing semihollow 335ish sound too.
                  "I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

I've never had any issues with tuning stability on my Epi '66 LE G-400. The neck's pretty fast, upper fret access is a breeze, and it's way comfortable in both seated and standing positions.

I replaced the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio Tone Zone, and as much as it improved it's tone, it completely overpowered the stock neck pickup (which was actually nice when the original bridge pickup was there). I found a guy selling a Gibson P-94R for $60, so I'll be installing that tomorrow.

I think at this point you know how an actual Gibson LP's neck feels like, and how it weighs and feels against your body. Either you like it or you don't.

So my vote's for the G-400 + LP Standard Plus Top.
                    Find me and the rest of the guise here: www.guitarampboard.com

Comment

Another guitar to consider is the Hagstrom Super Swede. I feel it is a better guitar than and EPI +Top. The neck is to die for, almost in the shredder guitar league and the finish is outstanding. The body and neck have Les Paul Custom style multi-ply bindings too. The pickups are better than Epi and also feature a coil tap that makes very convincing telecaster tones too. I got mine off ebay and was very pleased with it. I sold my + top after I got it! Same goes for the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Both guitars are just a cut above the Epi for the same money. I wouldn't worry about buying either one off ebay unplayed.
                      "I've got a briefcase of thin air. I can play some tricks on you, pretend that I don't care." The Contrast

Comment

FTW!!!

1966 G-400 ftw. I have one...

[COLOR="White"]for sale.
                        Don't be a slave to public perception.

Good Deals: Drasp, Blueballoon, Islandamp, DarkAegis, GregOvertone, OnWingsofLead, Matterday, Erim, Drummerdarko, Patrick F

Comment

Thanks everyone! I think I've read enough to know what I want.

Comment

Gulp!!
                            They have a really SWEET deal going on the '66 right now.
                            I might just have to get one myself.
                            $349 (cherry) $399 (Silverburst)
                            Free case Included?
                            Free Shipping?
                            Hmmmmm.....
                            I like the cherry myself.
                            It's good to hear confidence on the neckjoint.
                            I like the guitar alot.
                            60's Classic Vibe Jazz Bass
                            Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass
                            Acoustic B200/115
                            Sansamp DI/Boss TU-3
                            Marshall MGHDFX-100/a
                            Digitech RP-355

Comment

Gulp!!
                              They have a really SWEET deal going on the '66 right now.
                              I might just have to get one myself.
                              $349 (cherry) $399 (Silverburst)
                              Free case Included?
                              Free Shipping?
                              Hmmmmm.....
                              I like the cherry myself.
                              It's good to hear confidence on the neckjoint.
                              I like the guitar alot.

I know, it bugs me. I was trying to sell mine then this deal came around. I'm trying to keep it on the DL
                              Don't be a slave to public perception.

Good Deals: Drasp, Blueballoon, Islandamp, DarkAegis, GregOvertone, OnWingsofLead, Matterday, Erim, Drummerdarko, Patrick F

Comment

Working...
                              X