Best pickup for 80s hard rock/metal?

danswon

• Members

For those guys, you cant a Seymour Duncan Super V. It's out of their custom shop and cost $160. Its a lynch custom pickup which starts off as a JB, but has overwound coils for extra punch and an A2 magnet to lessen the high end bite. There is another Duncan CS pup called the RTM. It's the Warred DeMartini special pup. I has the tone of Mr. Scary and not much else. It has even more power and bite than the SuperV and has an A5 magnet, which produces more highs and crunch. The smoother of the 3 is the Super V. It will help you out with the slash stuff too.

I forget the name, but there is also a pup that Schaller makes that might work, but its not that easy to find.

• Moderators

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to say the Duncan JB as that was used on a lot of those recordings. Which others are good at nailing that tone eg. DeMartini/Lynch/Slash et al?

The Super Distortion was in many of "those" recordings, however probably outnumbered by the Dirty Fingers, stock on the 80s Vee and Explorers, and the T-Top, stock on pretty much every other Gibson.

The current Gibson pickup range can do that stuff very well, especially the 490s, abd the 490s go at good used prices on Ebay

• Members

I forget the name, but there is also a pup that Schaller makes that might work, but its not that easy to find.

I do not know exactly what it was, but a few years ago I had a 80's vintage Schaller humbucker that was excellent, especially for the kind of sounds being talked about. I spent some time trying to figure out what it was and to find others and never could.

Outside of that, the DiMarzio Super Distortion and what Ratae said about Gibsons.

Having said that, the pups only get you part way there. You also need a Marshall, some chorus, some delay and a lot of hair;)

• Members

Having said that, the pups only get you part way there. You also need a Marshall, some chorus, some delay and a lot of hairspray;)

Fixed. ;)

Warren De Martini swore by the Seymour Duncan JB, and his signature pickup is based on that model. George Lynch has the Screamin' Demon which is actually lower-powered than the JB (one friend says it's actually a highly underrated neck pickup).

I know other 80's metal types love the DiMarzio X2N: "what crack would sound like" was one friend's comment. I'd also look at the Mo' Joe, since that's Joe Satriani's pickup.

Archived