Guitar strap advice

Elessar [Sly]

• Members

Considering buying a Gibson SG. The problems (as many have suffered) with SG's in the past is the fact they are neck heavy. I know that thick straps help with this but are there any that 'better for this' than other straps? Perhaps some kind of weighted strap?

Also, keep in mind I live in the UK. I don't mind shipping something in from outside the UK, but preferably a place that will ship here. Any help would be appreciated!

• Members

FWIW I play mostly SG's and have yet to find a neck heavy Gibson (a very small amount of Epi ones I've tried have been).

I had a Firebird that was crazy neck heavy. Get a leather strap that is rough on the side that touches you. It still pulls but it won't slide around.

• Members

Get a leather strap that is rough on the side that touches you. It still pulls but it won't slide around.

+1 works like a charm. ... If you go a a local flea market where they sell leather belts for tooling, those are the best. Bring a strap you have that fits, and ask the guys to punch holes in the leather for you.

• Members

suede leather won't slip

Truth.

This is a strap I use for one of my Les Pauls, a Levy's M4. It's 3.5" wide with a suede back. Very comfortable. I have a Studio 50s Tribute LP that has a little neck dive, and when I hook this strap to it, neck dive is a non-issue.

M4Blk-large.jpg

• Members

Neck-heavy guitars drive me nuts. I use suede straps primarily, but I've not found them to be the cure-all for neck-heaviness as others have. Not saying that others are wrong, just wasn't comfortable for me. Although the guitar would generally stay in one place, it seemed to always be pulling on my shoulder, which I didn't like.

So, I tried a "Heads Up" strap, designed by Joe Naylor (Reverend guitars). It actually worked like a charm, however, the strap itself was not very comfortable, and pretty ugly. So, I bought a Couch seat belt strap (got one that was slick so that it was free to move around a bit and wouldn't pull), then duct-taped a lead weight from the Heads Up to the lower end of the strap. This works perfectly for me, and you could find the lead weight just about anywhere. His are 8 oz each, and the one weight pretty much takes care of everything for me.

As to SGs and neck-heavniness, I agree that most Gibson SGs are not inherently neck-heavy, or at least not to a crazy extent. I have found that most copies, even nice ones, tend to suffer from this for whatever reason. I've found SG Classics to be the best at balance, 61 RI's to be the worst, and Standards somewhere in the middle.

Hope this helps. :thu:

• Members

I agree with all the recommendations for Levy's suede straps. :thu: I DISagree with the "real SG's don't neck-dive". I have a Gibson SG standard that has the WORST neck dive. Or it did until I bought a Levy's strap for it. Now it mostly just sits where I put it, but even then it will sneak down when I'm not looking.

• Members

Neck-heavy guitars drive me nuts. I use suede straps primarily, but I've not found them to be the cure-all for neck-heaviness as others have. Not saying that others are wrong, just wasn't comfortable for
me
. Although the guitar would generally stay in one place, it seemed to always be pulling on my shoulder, which I didn't like.

So, I tried a "Heads Up" strap, designed by Joe Naylor (Reverend guitars). It actually worked like a charm, however, the strap itself was not very comfortable, and pretty ugly. So, I bought a Couch seat belt strap (got one that was slick so that it was free to move around a bit and wouldn't pull), then duct-taped a lead weight from the Heads Up to the lower end of the strap. This works perfectly for me, and you could find the lead weight just about anywhere. His are 8 oz each, and the one weight pretty much takes care of everything for me.

As to SGs and neck-heavniness, I agree that most Gibson SGs are not inherently neck-heavy, or at least not to a crazy extent. I have found that most copies, even nice ones, tend to suffer from this for whatever reason. I've found SG Classics to be the best at balance, 61 RI's to be the worst, and Standards somewhere in the middle.

Hope this helps.
:thu:

A suede-backed strap only really works for a mild neck dive. It's just not going to work that well if the SG's body is lighter than average, and maybe with thicker necks, as well. A really neck-heavy guitar with a suede-backed strap will only pull the neck of your t-shirt down with it. Then you could go punk and play shirtless, I suppose. :D

• Members

A suede-backed strap only really works for a mild neck dive. It's just not going to work that well if the SG's body is lighter than average, and maybe with thicker necks, as well. A really neck-heavy guitar with a suede-backed strap will only pull the neck of your t-shirt down with it. Then you could go punk and play shirtless, I suppose.
:D

Any advice to remedy this?

• Members

neck dive it my biggest peeve in a guitar...ive dealt with them on certian models and while a wide suede/leather strap helps...sometimes if its really bad all the strap will do is pull on your shirt...so uluess you play without a shirt there are SOME instances where a grippy strap dosent cure it

• Members

neck dive it my biggest peeve in a guitar...ive dealt with them on certian models and while a wide suede/leather strap helps...sometimes if its really bad all the strap will do is pull on your shirt...so uluess you play withoug a shirt there are SOME instanced where a grippy strap dosent cure it

Part of the reason I got rid of my SG copies. But I miss those guitars and love playing that guitar.

• Members

Part of the reason I got rid of my SG copies. But I miss those guitars and love playing that guitar.

yeah i can put up with it to a point but if its bad it totally ruins it for me, i become too preoccupied..now ill always see how a guitar balances with a strap before i buy it.

• Members

Any advice to remedy this?

Some guys report suede-backed straps will cure some heavy neck dives, so it's a case of YMMV.

Honestly, I've never owned a guitar with a lot of neck dive, because I simply will not tolerate it. Neck dive affects my playing. It makes me uncomfortable. I don't want my fretting hand spending part of its effort just keeping the neck from sagging. It's extra work and it's unnecessary.

If I owned an SG, I'd at least try to find one on the heavier side. An SG with a heavier body should counter the neck diving issue. To me, that's a key to my ever owning an SG.

Kind of a stupid idea, but if you really wanted to, you could apply a counterweight of some kind to the tail of the guitar. That would balance things out for a neck diving guitar.

• Members

Neck-heavy guitars drive me nuts. I use suede straps primarily, but I've not found them to be the cure-all for neck-heaviness as others have. Not saying that others are wrong, just wasn't comfortable for
me
. Although the guitar would generally stay in one place, it seemed to always be pulling on my shoulder, which I didn't like.

Hope this helps.

I tried a Heads Up strap, and had the same results/opinion. I bought a diving belt weight. It's designed to be put on a belt, so it threads onto a strap nicely, and it's coated, so it won't scratch. Works great, but if you jump around a lot on stage, it might not work for you.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

me

Hope this helps.

Anyone have a link to where to purchase the weights themselves? and not the strap?

Archived