Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Yamaha Pac 921 disection pics ...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 921 sold on eBay a few months back for $94. They're outstanding guitars at 10x the price.

That aluminum block is an absolutely brilliant idea, BTW.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font size="3">Giant Kudzu</font><br><br><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://fb.bandpage.com/GiantKudzu">Facebook</a> • <a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/giantkudzu">SoundCloud</a></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font size="2">&quot;I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I <strong>dominate.</strong>&quot;</font></div><br></div></div>

Comment

I'd love to see the rest of the guitar.

$150... It boggles the mind. I never got it when it comes to how cheap some of the unique top end Yamahas sell for on the used market. Can someone explain that one to me?
      __________________________________________________ ___________________

Yamaholic --- PpP --- Old geezer with a grey beard

Comment

I'd love to see the rest of the guitar.

$150... It boggles the mind. I never got it when it comes to how cheap some of the unique top end Yamahas sell for on the used market. Can someone explain that one to me?

"Yamaha? Don't they make jet skis? They can't be any good!"
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font size="3">Giant Kudzu</font><br><br><font size="2"><a target="_blank" href="http://fb.bandpage.com/GiantKudzu">Facebook</a> • <a target="_blank" href="http://soundcloud.com/giantkudzu">SoundCloud</a></font></div><br><br><div class="signaturecontainer"><div align="center"><font size="2">&quot;I wear Abercrombie so bïtches know I <strong>dominate.</strong>&quot;</font></div><br></div></div>

Comment

All pretty awesome innovations that should be on every guitar of this type IMO.

Comment

I think the Yamaha Pacifica series are the all time, best value-for-money guitars available. Their quality is always superb. Price for price nothing beats them.
            Howard

Comment

I got to play a friend of mines Pacifica Mike Stern signature. It was a lot of fun to play.
              <div class="signaturecontainer">Member of the Mazi Bee Militia<br />
              Current Guitar Gear - 03 Gibson Les Paul Classic, 03 Highway One Strat, 05 Taylor 210e, 1941 Gretsch Model 250, 2011 Fender Baja Tele, 2001 Martin 000-16GT<br />
              Amps - '60 Ampeg Mercury M12, Marshall Class 5, Music Man 65 112<br />
              FX - Fulltone OCD Version 2, Boss RC20 XL, Fulltone Clyde Wah, BBE Boosta Grande, EH Holy Grail Plus</div>

Comment

^ bumping the old thread because I bought 521 today and that neck joint is awesome and worthy of new eyes.

The coolest thing about that joint is that it allows for neck pup positioning way further up the neck than a regular joint would have (while maintaining the super upper fret access)...I couldn't figure out why it was designed like that but it has the sweetest neck pup sound you could ever imagine. Absolutely wonderful guitar regardless of the fact I got it for crazy crazy cheap at a local thrift store.

Mine has a slighly offset single coil stuck up front instead of the neck humbucker and the 2-4 tones are as strat as you can achieve (1 is bridge humbucker, 2 is out of phase neck/bridge coil, 3 is in phase neck and other bridge coil, 4 is neck, 5 is blank right now because the middle pup has been pulled...I am thinking of putting a mini humbucker or soapbar in there.
                <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;Go to the musicians, in the work of a few musicians you can hear every aspect of this conflict between light and dark within the soul.” - Hugh Maclennan/The Watch That Ends the Night<br />
                <br />
                &quot;And the guitar players, they look damaged...they been outcasts all their lives&quot; - Jagger/Richards</div>

Comment

Does anyone have any idea which other models in the Pacifica range have these types of heels? I have a 604 and a 412V at home that I'd like to get re-fretted and I expect I'll need to remove the necks. Out of interest I considered a replacement neck as the cost of a decent re-fret [stainless steel of course] and Plek'ing could get very pricey...

The 604 appears to have the metal plate strips as per the 921 one the OP discusses - any idea if the 412V will be the same? As I remember there are no strips, just recessed washers.

All help appreciated!
                  <div class="signaturecontainer">Yamaha Pacifica 604<br />
                  Yamaha Pacifica 412V<br />
                  Ernie Ball MusicMan Luke 2<br />
                  Carvin Bolt+ [Modified]<br />
                  <br />
                  Sadly no Yamaha MSG's at present, but I do run: <a href="http://www.yamahamsg.net/" target="_blank">http://www.yamahamsg.net</a></div>

Comment

412V won't have it, neither does my 904. Early 90's 700 and 900 series had them, maybe the 500 series, but memories fail.
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote">
                    <div class="quote_container">
                    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Originally Posted By <b>Trace-P38</b><br />
                    Flogger wins.

</div>
                    </div>
                    </div> <div class="bbcode_container">

Originally Posted by <b>Uma Floresta</b> View Post<br />
                    Because we floggers won the music war some time ago.

</div>
                    </div>
                    </div> <div class="bbcode_container">

Originally Posted by <b>Mike Riley</b> View Post<br />
                    <i>Preaching to the choir Rush in on a whole different level to quote a movie You might listen to Rush but you cant here Rush</i>

</div>
                    </div>
                    </div> <a href="http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14" target="_blank">http://www.box.net/shared/x85lhnst14</a></div>

Comment

Does anyone have any idea which other models in the Pacifica range have these types of heels?

Seems like you could just remove a neck screw and if it's a machine screw (not a wood screw) you could assume it has the plate.

Comment

Other instrument manufacturing companies are only deluding themselves into thinking they are the best.

Yamaha guitars stand up to any other product at any price point. I'm surprised that they are not more popular than they are.

I do have one issue with Yamaha and that is the fact that they discontinue some really outstanding products such as the DG series of amplifiers and the absolutely fantastic SA2200. I regret not picking up an AES1500 when I had the chance because they are gone too.

you can't control the wind but you can learn to sail

contentment is true wealth

Comment

and Plek'ing could get very pricey...

The 604 appears to have the metal plate strips as per the 921 one the OP discusses - any idea if the 412V will be the same? As I remember there are no strips, just recessed washers.

All help appreciated!

You'll find this neck joint on the the early 90's 500, 700, 900 and 1200 series guitars. I just dug out my 1992 Yamaha catalog and saw that the 800 series Pacifica's used the Access Angle Neck Joint that's similar to the "Super Playabilty" joint system that had been used on the ealier RGX line. The joint used 2 recessed plate and a scooped carve out on the heel but there isn't an aluminum base plate on the neck. I believe other models that followed adopted the same set up (my 604WH has it). I think the AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) type attachment didn't appear on the Pacifica's to the late 90's early 2000's.

Interestingly when Rich Lasner went to work for Peavey in the latter 90's a similar joint appeared (sans the recessed plates) on the Peavey Detonator AX, Impact Milano and the Cropper classic. Here's some pic of my Peavey Detonator AX which I bought as a disassembled project. (I have the non-Floyded version too )

IMG]http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/superstrat_k/Untitled.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

You'll find this neck joint on the the early 90's 500, 700, 900 and 1200 series guitars with bolt on necks. by the mid 90's yamaha started using the "Super Playabilty" joint system had been used on the RGX line. The joint used 2 reaccessed plated but there isn't an aluminum base plated on the neck. I think the AANJ type attachment didn't appear on the Pacifica's to the late 90's early 2000's.

Interestingly when Rich Lasner went to work for Peavey in the latter 90's a similar joint appeared (sans the recessed plates) on the Peavey Detonator AX, Impact Milano and the Cropper classic. Here's some pic of my Peavey Detonator AX which I bought as a disassembled project. (I have the non-Floyded version too )

So he worked for Yamaha, peavy and Ibanez? did he do something like this on an Ibanez model?

Comment

Speaking of sleek neck joint and 9xx series, the heel on my 904 is a thing of beauty and the part of the neck that goes into the body is thicker than the neck. More neck, less body wood in that part of the guitar. This would be surely expensive to do as a lot of wood is gone when shaping the whole neck. This big starting chunk of wood also allow to make a tilted headstock so that no string trees are need.

Comment

So he worked for Yamaha, peavy and Ibanez? did he do something like this on an Ibanez model?

Not that I'm aware of. His stint at Ibanez preceded his association with Yamaha. IIRC He's the mastermind behind the original RG, Saber, Radius, and Maaxas line of guitars.

Comment

Working...
                                X