Yamaha Pac 921 disection pics ...

webwarmiller

• Members

Other instrument manufacturing companies are only deluding themselves into thinking they are the best.

Yamaha guitars stand up to any other product at any price point. I'm surprised that they are not more popular than they are.

I do have one issue with Yamaha and that is the fact that they discontinue some really outstanding products such as the DG series of amplifiers and the absolutely fantastic SA2200. I regret not picking up an AES1500 when I had the chance because they are gone too.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

and Plek'ing could get very pricey...

The 604 appears to have the metal plate strips as per the 921 one the OP discusses - any idea if the 412V will be the same? As I remember there are no strips, just recessed washers.

All help appreciated!

You'll find this neck joint on the the early 90's 500, 700, 900 and 1200 series guitars. I just dug out my 1992 Yamaha catalog and saw that the 800 series Pacifica's used the Access Angle Neck Joint that's similar to the "Super Playabilty" joint system that had been used on the ealier RGX line. The joint used 2 recessed plate and a scooped carve out on the heel but there isn't an aluminum base plate on the neck. I believe other models that followed adopted the same set up (my 604WH has it). I think the AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) type attachment didn't appear on the Pacifica's to the late 90's early 2000's.

Interestingly when Rich Lasner went to work for Peavey in the latter 90's a similar joint appeared (sans the recessed plates) on the Peavey Detonator AX, Impact Milano and the Cropper classic. Here's some pic of my Peavey Detonator AX which I bought as a disassembled project. (I have the non-Floyded version too :) )

IMGP0182.jpg

IMGP0165.jpg

IMGP0166.jpg

IMGP0169.jpg

IMG]http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo173/superstrat_k/Untitled.jpg[/img]

Untitled.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

• Members

You'll find this neck joint on the the early 90's 500, 700, 900 and 1200 series guitars with bolt on necks. by the mid 90's yamaha started using the "Super Playabilty" joint system had been used on the RGX line. The joint used 2 reaccessed plated but there isn't an aluminum base plated on the neck. I think the AANJ type attachment didn't appear on the Pacifica's to the late 90's early 2000's.

Interestingly when Rich Lasner went to work for Peavey in the latter 90's a similar joint appeared (sans the recessed plates) on the Peavey Detonator AX, Impact Milano and the Cropper classic. Here's some pic of my Peavey Detonator AX which I bought as a disassembled project. (I have the non-Floyded version too
:)
)

IMGP0182.jpg

IMGP0181.jpg

So he worked for Yamaha, peavy and Ibanez? did he do something like this on an Ibanez model?

• Members

Speaking of sleek neck joint and 9xx series, the heel on my 904 is a thing of beauty and the part of the neck that goes into the body is thicker than the neck. More neck, less body wood in that part of the guitar. This would be surely expensive to do as a lot of wood is gone when shaping the whole neck. This big starting chunk of wood also allow to make a tilted headstock so that no string trees are need.

Heel.jpg

Contour.jpg

Headstock.jpg

• Members

So he worked for Yamaha, peavy and Ibanez? did he do something like this on an Ibanez model?

Not that I'm aware of. His stint at Ibanez preceded his association with Yamaha. IIRC He's the mastermind behind the original RG, Saber, Radius, and Maaxas line of guitars.

• Members

Back home now and have had a look at the 412V - it's a standard bolt on with no plate as Flogger59 suggested. I'll get this one [stainless steel] re-fretted when the time comes, but for now I'm replacing the stock pickups as they just sound way to thin for my taste. Got an EMG 81TW for the bridge and plan on acquiring a pair of EMG SLV single coils for the mid and neck - should be a great sound to compliment the 604 which has EMG 89 and a pair of EMG SA's.

Look like my 604 will be getting re-fretted too, rather than attempting to find a replacement neck with the plate, as there are no suppliers I can find for Yamaha style necks. I know Warmoth did them years ago but alas, no more.

Jkater: Very nice 904! Love the string tree less headstock - wish mine didn't have the string trees either...

• Members

Is that a Yamaha Image/MSG in your avatar?

Yes, it is - I've been a fan of them for years and have owned 3 Standards. Sadly I don't have any at the moment - hope to get another Standard someday...

I have a site [ongoing updates and improvements] which I set up a couple of years ago, as I was struggling to find info on them: http://www.yamahamsg.net

• Members

Look like my 604 will be getting re-fretted too, rather than attempting to find a replacement neck with the plate, as there are no suppliers I can find for Yamaha style necks. I know Warmoth did them years ago but alas, no more.

Jkater: Very nice 904! Love the string tree less headstock - wish mine didn't have the string trees either...

Thanks! That 904 is something to behold. it has so many cool features that are rarish on standard guitars. Like the light ash thick cap/alder combination for the body (front/back), the compound radius fretboard, sleek finish on the back of the neck half way between satin and high gloss (LOVE it, chunky neck, too) while the front of the headstock is high gloss. And I dig the look of the abalone inlaid Pacifica logo. It is recessed, so definitely not a sticker of sorts and it looks like real abalone. Must have been cut with very precise computerized machines.

Pacificacropped.jpg

• Members

Thanks! That 904 is something to behold. it has so many cool features that are rarish on standard guitars. Like the light ash thick cap/alder combination for the body (front/back), the compound radius fretboard, sleek finish on the back of the neck half way between satin and high gloss (LOVE it, chunky neck, too) while the front of the headstock is high gloss. And I dig the look of the abalone inlaid Pacifica logo. It is recessed, so definitely not a sticker of sorts and it looks like real abalone. Must have been cut with very precise computerized machines.

Pacificacropped.jpg

The 'hand written' style Pacifica logos are tasteful - Yamaha have used a garishly large uppercase logo in the past, which I find just eugh. The inlaid abalone logo is definitely classier than the transfer normally used.

The differences in neck finish also intrigues me - my 604 is gloss, which compared to the satin back of my 412V, feels a bit cheap [i do own a MusicMan luke with a gunstock waxed neck and that kinda sets the bar high!], but it's still very playable - bar the extremely worn frets [hence the search for info on the neck join in preparation for neck replacement or re-fretting], but I wonder why the variation?

Would love to find a 904 in a different finish - sunburst has never quite done it for me...

• Members

which I set up a couple of years ago, as I was struggling to find info on them:

Thanks for the website. I had searched for info on the Image for a while but I gave up so I'm glad you pointed me to your site.

I used to have a really nice standard but I sold it to get a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion.

I got the guitar back for a while (I traded a Red Knob Twin for it) but then I traded it in on an ES-137 Custom. The 137 is nice but I could have waited and saved up to buy one but sadly the Image is gone because I was smitten with the 137 and in too much of a hurry.

• Members

, but I wonder why the variation?

Would love to find a 904 in a different finish - sunburst has never quite done it for me...

Enjoy the sunburst and the logo. Those are the things I wish my 921 had- the logo on it is just a decal, and it's a standard black finish. So many nice features on it but it's not the most beautiful guitar.

• Members

I just added to & corrected info my earlier post:

You'll find this neck joint on the the early 90's 500, 700, 900 and 1200 series guitars. I just dug out my 1992 Yamaha catalog and saw that the 800 series Pacifica's used the "Access Angle Neck Joint" that's similar to the "Super Playabilty" joint system that had been used on the earlier RGX line. The joint used 2 recessed plate and a scooped carve out on the heel but there isn't an aluminum base plate on the neck. I believe other models that followed adopted the same set up (my 604WH has it). I think the AANJ (All Access Neck Joint) type attachment didn't appear on the Pacifica's to the late 90's early 2000's.

• Members

I just added to & corrected info my earlier post:

I just dug out my 1992 Yamaha catalog...

Old catalogues, so wish I still had a lot of my old ones from that period [i still have a handfull] - I cleared out a load of stuff when I moved house in 2000 and lost a bunch of paperwork, including many guitar magazines and catalogues. Wish I could have them all back as I love reading through them from time to time - the web just isn't the same...

• Members

If anyone's interest in a Pacifica 412V has been piqued, there's one currently on: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/105470640/yamaha-pacifica-412v.html

Looks like I may be selling off my 604 [minus pickups]. I'd rather invest in my 412V to get that set up spot on than replacing Sperzels, frets and tremolo on the 604... I'll probably end up putting the body / neck up on ebay as a spares / repairs item and use the electronics in something else in the future.

• 3 years later...

Archived