48th Street Custom Guitars

go cat go

• Members

I was replying to a thread regarding 80's guitars and I was remembering my favorite guitar shop at the time.

Around 1985 or so I worshipped Akira Takasaki from the Japanese band Loudness. My moniker comes from his answer to Eruption. He used to play custom ESPs. I used to go to 48th St. Custom Guitars when they first opened and just drool over their selection. They had a very close relationship with ESP. As well as ESP they carried Schecter (Tom Anderson was still there), Charvel/Jackson and Robin guitars. Some of the guys that worked there at the time didn't even speak English. I think Andy (can't remember his last name.)was the only non-Japanese in the shop. They were extremely cool and would let me play with all the high end equipment. This was after they realized I respected the equipment as much as they did. Yoshi was thier #1 luthier. He worked on all my ESP's. He was only about 20 years old. I was told he had studied and graduated from a luthiery school in Japan. His work was pretty amazing. John Suhr worked across the street at Rudy's. John did the best work on the street with Yoshi not too far behind. On the second floor there was a huge selection of necks and bodies. There were all types of necks hangin on pegs. Charvel/Jackson headstocks with or without binding, strat headstocks, all types of fingerboard combinations, the selection was pretty incredible. There was blank wood ready for cutting as well as custom built bodies. I have two of thier Jackson/Charvel necks and they are impeccable, quartersawn maple, 3 piece neck, with the middle piece in the opposite direction of the other two.

I think the shop changed owners sometime in the early 90's. Of course, the vibe changed too. It became more of a vintage type of store with older Fender and Gibsons and less emphasis on shredder guitars. It's not around anymore. Sam Ash ate it up. If you see any any 48 St. Custom guitars up for sale pick them up ASAP. They were made with premium ESP parts and assembled on the 2nd floor by Yoshi.

...I miss the 80's.

Merry Christmas everone!

• Members

I remember that too. 48th street used to be such a mecca for the worlds best guitars and luthiers. I remember going into 48th street custom and seeing all the ESP's, all the custom graphics, all the one of a kind stuff. Pictures of all the famous ESP players on the walls etc. They would have built you anything you could dream up. There was such talent on that block. It's really a shame that much of that type of place has been either bought out by the big names or just forced out of business.

I miss the 80's too.

• Members

That store had an awesome selection. Tyler, Anderson, Grosh, Schecter, and other cool stuff. Service was inconsistent though. The Japanese guy there was very rude and seemed dishonest, but all the other guys were very cool.

There was one very strange thing going on with that store: Every time I went in, they were all eating Chinese food.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Man, you must have been really bored if you found this thread.

I still play some of the riffs, though not as well as I used too. I lost my shredder chops and have become mostly a classic rock, blues rock type of player.

PM regarding classic Loudness.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

That really was a unique area, nothing else like it in the country. I spent many a visit with Rudy, that's when I was Sales Manager at EMG. Many a great luthiers were spawned from that group of people.

You could always also drop in and see Benny at Manny's as well.

• Members

its saddening to see what its become now. Not only has Sam Ash owned Rudy's for quite some time, but now they've totally taken it over and its the site of the Sam Ash guitar store
:cry:

Sam Ash owns Rudy's now? I knew they had taken over Manny's, but had no idea they owned Rudy's. I haven't lived in the city for about three years now. I used to love Rudy's pedal room...bought many a good pedals from there.

• Members

Sam Ash owns Rudy's now? I knew they had taken over Manny's, but had no idea they owned Rudy's. I haven't lived in the city for about three years now. I used to love Rudy's pedal room...bought many a good pedals from there.

Not true - OP must have meant Mannys. Rudy's is still there and independently run.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I grew up in NY in the 60's and 70's. What a thrill to go down to 48th Street back in the day, just too cool to describe. every store was cool in one way or another back then. Met a bunch of famous people, played every amazing guitar around and just had one hell of a good time. I still go there once in awhile, but it's just sad walking down that block now after the way it used to be.

Archived