X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of pick are you using?

I use the V-Pick Snake Buffed and Unbuffed. Not too pointy. The pick thinkness is 4.10mm and will set you back $10.00. Cool thing about this pick is it has 3 corners that are the same and last a long time. My right and left hands are more in synch because of this pick.

I also use the Instant Nail Kit. I glue the nails on my middle and ring fingers. The whole kit cost $20 bucks.

snakepick.jpg

kit1.gif

Attached Files
    Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.

orange tortex

Upon hearing this, the master was enlightened

Comment

• liko
      liko commented
      Editing a comment

kolapsar wrote:

orange tortex

This. Anything thinner (even a .58) makes that annoying card-in-the-spokes sound as you strum, and anything thicker (and they don't make anything between 60 and 73) starts bucking in your fingers as you strum. My only question to Dunlop is, why neon orange? You couldn't have chosen any other color? I only just found the Pitch Black line, and they're a custom order from GC, which for a $4 bag of picks that will last me a year or more, just isn't worth it.

A friend of mine got custom picks from Clayton along with his band. They have his band logo and signature on them, and they are 1.26mm delrin. The printing doesn't wear off, and since they're thick delrin, they last a good long time. In fact, I lose them before they wear out. He gave me enough to last me a year or two, given the rate I lose picks.

Oh, but before that, I used 1.14mm delrin whatever brand.
    Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

Oh another one I like is the V-picks Screamer. Not as thick are the Snake, but it is a great pick. I also use the V-Picks slides made out of the same material.

screamer.jpg

Attached Files
      Disclaimer: My threads and posts are created to allow forum members to discuss interesting subject matter.

I reserve the right to change my decisions at anytime.

Comment

Still Clayton Acetal 1.52

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something...

Comment

Was using Fender Mediums, but more and more using some variation on a yellow tortex. Usually with some sort of added grip to it.

Comment

Big stubby. 3.0 mm of long-lasting, easy to hold onto goodness.

DunlopBigStubby2and3.jpg

Attached Files

Comment

• Ratae Corieltauvorum
              Editing a comment

PurpleTrails wrote:

DunlopBigStubby2and3.jpg

Yay!!! Love me a Stubby, only pick I've ever been able to use.............well to play a guitar with anyway

Attached Files

• Jkater
              Jkater commented
              Editing a comment

PurpleTrails wrote:

DunlopBigStubby2and3.jpg

after trying many different picks, I discovered the big Stubbies and it's no going back to anything else. I use the 2.0 one.

Attached Files

My go-to picks are still the Dunlop Tortex. Orange, yellow, green, or blue. Whatever I happen to choose at the time. I'm currently liking the oranges.

Dunlop Tortex

Attached Files
            Originally Posted by csm

The first, and most frequently violated rule of punk is: THERE ARE NO RULES.

"You know, once you've had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that's a hard drug to kick." — David Gilmour

Fender :: Gibson :: Epiphone :: Ibanez :: Yamaha
            Blackstar :: Orange :: Vox

Comment

• DeepEnd
              DeepEnd commented
              Editing a comment

Dunlop .60mm gray nylon.

Fender Heavy, or any facsimile.

Comment

Dunlop Gels.  The yellow ones (XH)

I'm Brian of Nazareth

Comment

• BydoEmpire
              BydoEmpire commented
              Editing a comment

After 20 years of using whatever was handy (mostly fender 0.73s) I switched to Dunlop Jazz IIIs (red) a couple years ago and never looked back.  I embarked on "the great pick hunt" trying to find it.  Red Jazz IIIs are "it" for me.

I switch between finger picking and Planet waves 1.0mm. I used to have a Dunlop stubby in 3.0 but those took their toll on my strings

Comment

• intothevoid
              intothevoid commented
              Editing a comment

For years I used the Dunlop Nylon picks. I liked how soft they felt when playing. I also liked tortex but mainly stuck with the nylon.

I have recently discovered the Tortex H3's though and pretty much won't use anything else, especially for metal. For rock and blues stuff I still pick up the nylons occasionally.

Dunlop H3

Attached Files

Given how picks can alter sound, why do so many of us just stick to one kind (myself included)? Shouldn't we all have picks of varying materials for different sounds?
            Guitars: 3 Fender Strats, Fender Jazzmaster, Squier Bullet, 2 Gibson Les Pauls, Gibson ES-339, Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special, Epiphone Les Paul, Epiphone Dot, Epiphone SG, PRS SE Custom 24, Ibanez AS73, Hamer Duotone, Larrivee D-03R, Takamine EG5013S, 1951 Epiphone Devon, Ibanez SR305 (bass)Pedal Chain: BBE Green Screamer -> MXR Distortion III -> Boss CE-5 -> EH Stereo Pulsar -> Boss DD-20 -> BBE Boosta GrandeAmps: Vox AC4, AC15, AC30, Pathfinder 10, DA5SoundCloud

Comment

• PurpleTrails
              PurpleTrails commented
              Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:
              Given how picks can alter sound, why do so many of us just stick to one kind (myself included)? Shouldn't we all have picks of varying materials for different sounds?

I've tried a fairly wide variety over the years.  I've found that with a very thick pick I can get a pretty wide variety of tones by subtly altering the dynamics of my playing, which I can't do as well with a thinner pick. 

Of the thick ones I've tried, the big stubbies had the clearest tone, they hold up well, and they are easy to grip.  There are one or two others out there I'd like to try, but I get most any sound I want with the big stubby.

• knotty
              knotty commented
              Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:

Couldnt agree more. I have a shaped, very thick wooden pick. Great for smokey blues. A metal pick my grandaughter bought me for bright.

Snarling dog brain pick reds for the rest.

• liko
              liko commented
              Editing a comment

kayd_mon wrote:

Because it's as much a feel thing as a sound thing. Like I said in my original reply to this thread, I use a Tortex 60 because anything lighter gives you too much "slap" of pick on string, while anything heavier makes the pick jump around in my fingers too much (and if I tighten my grip I start becoming scared I'll break strings).

Anyone use those picks made out of cymbal brass? Super bright, those. Probably will shred your strings if you use 9s.

Comment

What's the difference between a Dunlop Jazz III (which I use) and a Jazz II?

Comment

I reckon I use them there red Dunlop Jazz III picks.  When I can't find them I use whatever is handy or just use my dang fingers.

Comment

Working...
                X