Is anyone else tired of seeing the same pedals over and over?

• Members

Well, I'm new here, so maybe a rant topic isn't the best start, but it's the kind of person I am. I can't speak entirely for this site, as I have seen many posts on here about cheap, and even more obscure pedals, but...if you're on instagram and following pretty much ANY major gear page, all I see are the same freaking pedals all day. Over and over. And ALWAYS receiving so much hype and blown-smoke through all the comments. Now, maybe it's because no one wants to be the jerk that has nothing but negative stuff to say, but honestly, it's a little disheartening to say the least. I try hard to analyze my feelings and whether or not it's just a form of jealousy, simply due to the fact that I don't have the money to piss away on Strymon and all analog, vintage pedals. After much pacing and sorting my feelings out, I can honestly say, it's just plain annoying. There are PLENTY of pedals that out-perform an old DMM or DM-2, and even sound better. There, I said it. And don't even get me started on the Klon. You can tell me all day long how there's something about old, analog chips, but these comments are coming from the same cork-sniffers with 3 Strymon pedals on the same board as their vintage pedals. To me, that only proves that it's all about the price tag, and showing off. I have NOTHING against working hard and spending money on nice things that inspire you, but I have yet to hear anyone admit that it's all just for show, and the hot air that gets blown straight up their shorts when they post online. Anyway, the point that I'd like to make is this, Can we just see something different for a change? There are more than 8 pedals out there. Show me a professional board with some Joyo, Biyang, DOD, Behringer...hell, even First Act apparently has a half-decent delay. The problem is, people get scared of the reaction. Just like that neighbor kid you knew growing up that sanded off the "Squier" from his headstock. Or was he the one who just put a sticker over it? The bottom line is, everyone already knows what a Gibson through a Marshall amp sounds like. We all know what a Strat and a DMM can do. Give these kids some inspiration. Show us the pedals you're scared of instead of letting all these rich, wannabe musicians with too much cash to blow, rule the internet. The BEST success stories come from MAKING something less than desirable work for you. Not buying something off of the top shelf and never even having to take the risk yourself. The results are guaranteed with top shelf products, that's why they're there, but my goodness, take some advice from Fleetwood Mac and "go your own way". Any thoughts? Maybe it's just me?

Well' date=' I'm new here,[/quote']

Welcome! wave.gif

so maybe a rant topic isn't the best start, but it's the kind of person I am. I can't speak entirely for this site, as I have seen many posts on here about cheap, and even more obscure pedals, but...if you're on instagram and following pretty much ANY major gear page, all I see are the same freaking pedals all day. Over and over. And ALWAYS receiving so much hype and blown-smoke through all the comments. Now, maybe it's because no one wants to be the jerk that has nothing but negative stuff to say, but honestly, it's a little disheartening to say the least. I try hard to analyze my feelings and whether or not it's just a form of jealousy, simply due to the fact that I don't have the money to piss away on Strymon and all analog, vintage pedals. After much pacing and sorting my feelings out, I can honestly say, it's just plain annoying.

I think some of it is snobbishness, sure - but a lot of it is genuine too. People like nice pedals, in the same way people like nice cars - even if they don't own them themselves, they can still appreciate them.

And as far as Strymon goes, I think you might be going a bit hard on them. Have you ever tried some of their pedals? They make very high quality pedals that have loads of features that people like, and they use seriously high powered (and not inexpensive) SHARC DSP processors.

There are PLENTY of pedals that out-perform an old DMM or DM-2, and even sound better. There, I said it.

If we're talking about modern analog delays, or even some modern analog-voiced digital delays, sure - I agree with you... but many of those pedals are based on, or inspired by the original DM-2 and DMM. I for one wasn't a fan of my old DMM when I owned one back in the early 80s, because it overloaded too easily for my tastes... but the modulation on it is still among the best sounding that I've ever heard.

And don't even get me started on the Klon.

Ever tried one? It's a brilliant sounding "transparent" overdrive... but I personally wouldn't pay the going rate for one - not when you can get something very similar in a under $70 EHX Soul Food. But that's just my preferences - for me, it's about sound and capabilities more than it is the brand and bragging rights.

You can tell me all day long how there's something about old, analog chips, but these comments are coming from the same cork-sniffers with 3 Strymon pedals on the same board as their vintage pedals. To me, that only proves that it's all about the price tag, and showing off. I have NOTHING against working hard and spending money on nice things that inspire you, but I have yet to hear anyone admit that it's all just for show, and the hot air that gets blown straight up their shorts when they post online.

Maybe it is for some people, but for others, it might be more about features, sound quality and overall performance as opposed to love of specific chips or whatever.

You should see my boards and my pedal collection. I have "old" stuff and "new" stuff. Digital and analog. Rare and expensive stuff sitting right next to ultra-budget stuff. It's about what *I* like, and what meets my needs. I really don't care about bragging rights at all.

Anyway, the point that I'd like to make is this, Can we just see something different for a change? There are more than 8 pedals out there. Show me a professional board with some Joyo, Biyang, DOD, Behringer...hell, even First Act apparently has a half-decent delay.

There are plenty of people here who have and use pedals from those companies. Whether or not they get used by "professionals" as much as other brands is certainly subject to debate, but pros tend to be less concerned with price and more concerned with sonic performance, durability and other things that go beyond just the lowest price.

The problem is, people get scared of the reaction. Just like that neighbor kid you knew growing up that sanded off the "Squier" from his headstock. Or was he the one who just put a sticker over it?

Again that's snobbishness, and IMHO, just silly. If you're more concerned with the "reaction", or with what other people think, IMHO, you have your priorities mixed up.

The bottom line is, everyone already knows what a Gibson through a Marshall amp sounds like. We all know what a Strat and a DMM can do. Give these kids some inspiration.

There's a reason those pieces of equipment have stood the test of time and remain popular - they're good! Should everyone stop using Les Pauls just because they've been around since the 1950s? Just because something has been used previously doesn't make it inferior to something "new" - although I do see your point about getting new sounds - but even that can be done with gear that has been around for ages.

As far as inspiration, IMHO, as musicians, we can inspire each other from time to time, but ultimately when it comes to gear, you need to find what inspires you and not rely strictly on others to provide that for you. smile.png I tend to be more inspired by brilliant writing and performances than I am by a particular musician's choice in equipment. What works for them may not necessarily work as well for me.

Show us the pedals you're scared of instead of letting all these rich, wannabe musicians with too much cash to blow, rule the internet.

Who said they "rule the Internet?" lol.gif Again, I think you might be giving too much credit where it isn't due. Why should what they use concern you so much? And again, for the record, I am not the least bit afraid or "scared" of telling people what I like and use - whether it be my rare Lovetones or my inexpensive Danelectro pedals. I can't begin to tell you how often I've recommended the Fish & Chips EQ and Chicken Salad Vibe on these very forums, and highly praised other inexpensive yet great sounding gear... while I'll pay big bucks for something if nothing cheaper will suit my needs nearly as well, I've ALWAYS appreciated stuff that delivers big bang for the bucks.

The BEST success stories come from MAKING something less than desirable work for you. Not buying something off of the top shelf and never even having to take the risk yourself.

While I do appreciate players like David Lindley who can make great music with gear that (to be charitable) I'd consider to be of questionable quality, I have no desire to play cruddy gear that I have to struggle with just to brag, any more than I am interested in selecting gear simply because it is expensive enough to win the approval of those who judge things solely on how expensive it is.

I'm not sure what kind of a "risk" you're referring to, but professionals tend to not like to take risks on something dramatically inferior or sub-standard. A pedal that sounds noisy, or that is unreliable is not as likely to show up on their board... it's not a smart career move to rely on low-quality tools, regardless of your profession. Pros need gear that they can rely on, and that works for them, not against them.

The results are guaranteed with top shelf products, that's why they're there,

I respectfully, yet strongly disagree with that statement. The gear doesn't make you a great player. It may make some things easier, or less difficult, but you can hand someone with no driving experience whatsoever the keys to a Ferrari, and Jeff Gordon the keys to a Yugo, and Gordon will win the race every time - assuming he can get the Yugo started...

but my goodness, take some advice from Fleetwood Mac and "go your own way". Any thoughts? Maybe it's just me?

I think you'll find there are plenty of people here who do exactly that... and I'd include myself on that list. Find what works for you, and go with it, and don't get too wrapped up in what everyone else is using - I totally agree with you on that. smile.png

Once again, welcome to HC. wave.gif

• Members

Finally, a real conversation. Haha. It's not like I don't understand the desire, or the draw towards high end gear. And believe me, I know that owning a $10,000 guitar doesn't do anything for your personal skill set. I guess maybe I'm a little more angered about how these pedalboard posts become worshiped overnight, it seems. I'm talking almost entirely about instagram uploads from some of the most followed sources. I was really just trying to reach out to the people I respect on this site and see if anyone else feels the same way I do. Who knows, maybe no one else really gets on instagram or social media sites where the bigger companies or gear pages repost pedal and pedalboard pictures? I think a lot of it is centered around pride. Pride from the pedal owners, and pride from the pages who are in the business of selling high end merchandise. I just see it creating a desire to spend more and more money on things that aren't exclusively the only things that will give you the best sound. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I'd like to believe it's not about creating lust and consumerism, but seeing as how we can all agree that there is much better gear out there for cheaper, it becomes pretty clear that this is the case. I guess it makes sense to see it in any business, it just hurts when it gets into an art that you love and respect. It's all part of the circle that keeps things moving, I just wish there were more people out there trying to save people from working their butts off at their jobs to blow it on stuff that isn't even the best at what it does. I have a lot of respect for the few that do. Shnobel and InTheBlues to mention a couple favorites. Anyways, my apologies to everyone for being redundant, or boring, or whatever I'm going to be accused of. I just respect everyone here, and I finally decided to test the waters here.

• Members
@1001gear If you need any help sounding out the words' date=' just PM me. We'll work through them together.[/quote']

Well, that's pretty salty... :cop:

Phil wrote a very reasoned reply for which you voiced appreciation. In response, you posted this:

I'm talking almost entirely about instagram uploads from some of the most followed sources.

This board is pretty slow these days and it may be that the admittedly small number of users who have seen your post do not share the same concerns.

In relation to retailers posting things, yes, I do believe their goal is just to sell product. As for the buyers, I think it is very difficult to judge the merit of their purchasing rationale. Not enough for me to get worked up over, anyway.

A little like Phil, I just appreciate folks making great music and making some cool sounds myself. If what other folks play makes them happy, great! :rawk:

• Members

I couldn't agree more. Honestly, I was just reaching out and curious as to whether anyone else gets tired of seeing the same pedalboards over and over, give or take a few changes. It was more just a topic to discuss in forum fashion, which is what I believed this site to be about. It's pretty upsetting when the only legitimate response came from the admin, of which I greatly appreciated reading. However, it seems that there are people on here who have nothing better to do, other than post one-word replies with no purpose aside from trying to stir up a negative reaction. Coming from a supposed "guru", as deemed by this site, I would expect a little more class. I came to a discussion forum to discuss, not hear witty remarks and jabs. If you have nothing to contribute but recess humor, then move along to the next thread. At this point, I couldn't care less about the topic, and honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in my first attempt to have an adult conversation with fellow musicians.

• Members
people on here who have nothing better to do' date=' other than post one-word replies with no purpose aside from trying to stir up a negative reaction[/quote']

Had you been here in the heyday you'd have had much worse! I think Phil's response shows you why your block of text didn't get the replies you were hoping for - he had to parse it out to give a reply, and most people on the web are just too lazy to go to the trouble.

There are plenty of lesser known pedals and pedal companies that are doing interesting things, but as someone who owns 3 Strymon pedals, I like what they can do. For example, the Mobius does more than chorus/flange/phaser and has some interesting settings and is a knob tweaker's dream. The Timeline wouldn't be my choice as a one and only delay, but it has so many different types that it could fit the bill for someone looking for variety and a quality stereo signal for recording or integration into a live MIDI setup.

I'm not on Instagram, and I only get on the emporium section of TGP unless looking for comments on a specific pedal - but if you look for the battle of the board threads from years past here I imagine it's the same thing you're speaking about. My own board is probably the type of thing you hate, two Catalinbread foundation pedals, a Diamond Comp, BOE Twosome with a Midfi Clarinot, Mobius and Red Panda Particle delay. That doesn't count the pedals offboard (but in my effects chain) on my desk. For a time I wanted to support my hobby of music writing/recording but didn't have tons of cash. I got into pedals because I couldn't afford to get into guitars! And it was fun while it lasted but eventually I think most sane people settle down after trying a few options and finding what's right for them.

I get what you're saying about consumerism - but ultimately those of us who are into making music discover what's right for them by actually buying stuff and trying it with their rig. There is a point of pride in what we play through on here and other sites, but that's because we're speaking with others who know. I can't go to any of my RL friends and have them get excited for me when I purchase a new piece of gear - they don't know what it means. Only other gear heads on the interwebs know, so that's probably why you see so much of it online.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. I wish you could've been here before the great migration of cool pedal peeps when the front page was filled with new conversations about pedals. There was a software switch that was so awful and dragged out time wise that most people went their separate ways. Occasionally one finds their way back, but I wish it could be like it was...

• Members

Thanks for the reply, dude! For the record, I don't have anything against owning expensive gear. It's more about the hype and the image that you're not quite "there" yet until you have all of the most expensive, top-rated, gear. It's not even really one person. It's not always the guy posting about it, and it's not always the individual commenting and praising it. It's the whole lot of them together and the hype it creates. I just wish I could become part of the force that says you don't have to feel inferior because you're playing a Behringer Time Machine instead of a DDM. When I first started buying vintage Harmony guitars and old, tube amps, I used to think, "Man, one day these will be worth even more money, and I can sell them and retire with a Gibson." Then, as time moved on, I realized that I didn't even know why I wanted a Gibson so bad. I love my setup. I have a phaser that I stumbled across on CL that you couldn't give me 6 Small Stones for. At the end of the day, I agree with everyone here, it's about whatever makes you happy. I just sincerely hope I can stop at least one person from fighting with their wife and working OT at a job they hate, just to buy a Klon. I've seen more Klons being sold online than almost any other single OD. That ought to tell you something. I'm not saying they suck, I'm just saying, there are better ways to spend 2 grand. I have a Deltalab tube screamer clone that I RARELY see go up for sale, and it's certainly not because they didn't make many. In fact, there are 3 runs of that pedal. Maybe I'll start a blog? Hahaha

• Members

That's four syllables to you buddy.

Ok, pedals. I'm tired of hearing the same old talent expansion applications and stick to distos and distortions. At least you get a wide range of usable musical timbres. As to guys talking pedals, BFD. Some people collect trains, some people collect stamps or rocks or insects. ALL will develop the yearning to talk shop. They come to forums to find each other and indulge their exhibitionist afflictions. If they don't speak your language, it's their circle. TS.

• Members
I couldn't agree more. Honestly' date=' I was just reaching out and curious as to whether anyone else gets tired of seeing the same pedalboards over and over, give or take a few changes. It was more just a topic to discuss in forum fashion, which is what I believed this site to be about. It's pretty upsetting when the only legitimate response came from the admin, of which I greatly appreciated reading. However, it seems that there are people on here who have nothing better to do, other than post one-word replies with no purpose aside from trying to stir up a negative reaction. Coming from a supposed "guru", as deemed by this site, I would expect a little more class. I came to a discussion forum to discuss, not hear witty remarks and jabs. If you have nothing to contribute but recess humor, then move along to the next thread. At this point, I couldn't care less about the topic, and honestly, I'm pretty disappointed in my first attempt to have an adult conversation with fellow musicians.[/quote']

I think one thing you could do is maybe broaden your circle when it comes to the media that you put so much weight on. Look for other sources when it comes to gear and pedals. I am a pedal fanatic and probably don't have any of the "holy grail" pedals that you talk about. Not that I can't afford them, I just think they are over priced (basically what Phil said).

I get my ideas from places like Premier Guitar's "Rig Rundown" and peer reviews. Also I buy I lot of used pedals that I listen to in the guitar shop.

Sometimes I just look in the back of guitar magazines and find one's I think I like, seek out peer reviews for them, and then buy them.

I think if you just expanded what you depend on for information you will see a lot more, and a lot more variety.

• Members

Interestingly enough, I just bought a new issue of Premier Guitar. It's an issue with a whole section about pedalboards. Not a bad read, and definitely uplifting in the respect of what I'm talking about here. I always enjoy their rig rundown youtube channel. I will read your writing later today! Thanks for the input!

Archived