Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ummmm.......ALWAYS tape up your pickups with masking or gaffers tape BEFORE you use the steel wool.

just speaking from experience

Wrapping the body in something helps, I find. However you do it though, keep the stray bits of steel away from the magnets or you'll be cleaning it up forever...
    Guitar '98 Godin SD [SD Custom Custom @ bridge] / '98 Gordon-Smith GS1 Doublecut >> Vox AC15CC1

Norman B-20

Bass 2005 Warwick Corvette Std Active (Ash) >> SWR Workingman's 10

Comment

the ****************?

I used super glue, it's VERY hard once set up. Lasts a long, long time. Simple to apply, just fold over a paper towel until you have it down to about a 2-inch square or so. Run a bead of super glue down the back of the neck and spread it before it sets up, just wipe it into a good coat on the back of the neck. Let it set up until it's hardened, then just steel wool it smooth. If you have slight imperfections or spots where the finish isn't covered well, just do a second coat. My custom strat's neck has one coat and I built it in 1991, I haven't worn through it yet. It's turning a nice shade of yellow now with age, too. Just don't do this type of finish in a small closed in space, as you need good ventilation because of the glue's fumes.
      SupportMusic.com - Help keep music education in your local schools!

Comment

I used super glue, it's VERY hard once set up. Lasts a long, long time. Simple to apply, just fold over a paper towel until you have it down to about a 2-inch square or so. Run a bead of super glue down the back of the neck and spread it before it sets up, just wipe it into a good coat on the back of the neck. Let it set up until it's hardened, then just steel wool it smooth. If you have slight imperfections or spots where the finish isn't covered well, just do a second coat. My custom strat's neck has one coat and I built it in 1991, I haven't worn through it yet. It's turning a nice shade of yellow now with age, too. Just don't do this type of finish in a small closed in space, as you need good ventilation because of the glue's fumes.

Sometimes you gotta huff a little glue, BFD
        http://rosecassidy.bandcamp.com

Comment

Sometimes you gotta huff a little glue, BFD

some white pill = gateway to glue huffing....hugz
          tits

Comment

some white pill = gateway to glue huffing....hugz

You're my gateway drug

Comment

I do this to all my glossy necks! I always run a neat tape line even with the nut on the back of the headstock to give a nice clean line a la Musicman
              First Act Delgada/ Greco LP Custom/ Partscaster Strat/ Squier Jazzmaster/Kramer Striker>Pitchblack > WH10> Organizer > Fuzz Factory> Tonebender MKII Pro> STUD > Octavio> Whammy IV > V3 Big Muff; Super Hard On > Whetstone> Instant Lo Fi> PS3> Delaylab>AC30My Good Transactions

Comment

I've always been curious about doing something like this to my Les Paul..... maybe I'll try it out on my SX bass first though, just to see how it goes. Thanks for posting that vid, Joel!
                Guitars: G&L ASAT Classic Custom & Gibson Les Paul Studio || Amp: Dr. Z Maz 8 Studio
                Pedalboard: Disaster Area DPC-5 > Diamond Compressor, Skreddy LMMD, Timmy, Turbo Tuner, Strymon Timeline & Flint

My YouTube Channel

Comment

He's got alot of great videos about setting up different guitars and stuff.

Perfect.
                  GOOD TRADES LINK

Formerly known as The Gas Station

Comment

I've always been curious about doing something like this to my Les Paul..... maybe I'll try it out on my SX bass first though, just to see how it goes. Thanks for posting that vid, Joel!

Thats what I did. Just did it to my John Lennon, FEELS AWESOME.

Comment

Am I the only one who LOVES super glossy necks?
                      BOARD, RIG

Originally Posted by Bob Marley

Emancipate yourself from mental slavery

Good deals with: booher, Coach, leer43, blueballoon, schismed, pigeontoe, Rgkchile, wiklund87, conky, Sidd, bennintexas, PumpkinPieces, Sunsetcarcrash, hivedestruction, Gearhunter, 6StrngStrangler, duderanimous, marshmi, TerrorStorm, wrathchild1, goodhonk, T ned

Comment

Consider green scotchbrite pads.

Comment

Am I the only one who LOVES super glossy necks?

Nope
                          AimmarCair wrote:EHX could clean out my anus.Delicious HOG enema.

Comment

No probs bro

Everyone should sub to that guy, I love his vids.
                            YouTube - Mostly App Reviews

YouTube - Crappy Pedal Demos (and other random bits)

YouTube - Really crappy demos

Trade my cool cat drive for your TS7 or bad monkey?

Transactions with: cleverbastid, grayeyes777, Small Stone

Comment

I used a synthetic steel wool on my Sheraton.
                              Smooth as **************** now!
                              Don't Sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things

Comment

When I read stuff like this, I really feel like I should care about more aspects of my guitar than I do.

I never really cared what the neck felt like, I never really cared how high the action was (as long as it wasn't ridiculous in either direction), I never cared too much what gauge of string I use (although I use .10's out of habit now). I just accept the quirks in my guitars, and sort of learn to deal with them. Maybe I should start caring about details more.
                                Blakemore Effects (I now sell Dr. Scientist and DMB pedals in addition to my own.)
                                My pedal company.
                                Facebook page for Blakemore Effects

Comment

Working...
                                X