Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

3D printers, Will we be able to print out guitars?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3D printers, Will we be able to print out guitars?

Wake up in the morning and print yourself a les paul..

Good deals lonk

Apparently, they printed the body on this one..

Good deals lonk

Comment

Good deals lonk

Comment

You'd need a pretty sophisticated 3D printer to print out the electronics. Also, whatever bonding agent you were using for the body/neck/bridge would have to be pretty strong to handle the string tension.
        www.shoepedals.com

Comment

You'd need a pretty sophisticated 3D printer to print out the electronics. Also, whatever bonding agent you were using for the body/neck/bridge would have to be pretty strong to handle the string tension.
          www.shoepedals.com

Comment

Come to think of it, you'd pretty much need the replicator from star trek to print out a functional guitar in full.

The body and neck without frets would probably work alright, though, if you used the right materials.
            www.shoepedals.com

Comment

Come to think of it, you'd pretty much need the replicator from star trek to print out a functional guitar in full.

The body and neck without frets would probably work alright, though, if you used the right materials.
              www.shoepedals.com

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by triviani
                View Post

That looks really cool. Almost like it was made out of wrought iron.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by triviani
                  View Post

That looks really cool. Almost like it was made out of wrought iron.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Yap, I know there are parts that cannot be reproduced -yet- but still. Material seems to be pretty resistent, although on that model and others they used a real neck. It's amazing you could print, say the body and the neck, with any shape or design you would want to, and then just add GFS electronics and hardware. Would a neck be possible?

Or we could finally arrive to The Future, and be able to print yourself a Mustang bass while making breakfast.

Good deals lonk

Comment

Yap, I know there are parts that cannot be reproduced -yet- but still. Material seems to be pretty resistent, although on that model and others they used a real neck. It's amazing you could print, say the body and the neck, with any shape or design you would want to, and then just add GFS electronics and hardware. Would a neck be possible?

Or we could finally arrive to The Future, and be able to print yourself a Mustang bass while making breakfast.

Good deals lonk

Comment

Probably not now. As far as I know 3D printers are more for prototyping in these kinds of applications, or at least it would be very cost prohibitive to make a sturdy functioning guitar body that way.

I doubt it won't be too long before printing materials get sophisticated enough that you could print out a guitar that way cost effectively, and then not much longer after that before it's cheaper to print out a guitar out of raw material than it is to chop down trees, cut and treat the wood, shape it, glue it together, etc....

Then everyone from the Gibson Nashville plant to the Squier Indonesia factory loses their job and we argue over the original hand shaped wood guitars vs. printed are better, and whether or not it's ****************ed up that everyone lost their job to robots vs 'why don't those lazy ****************ers just get a better job or work for 10 cents an hour to compete with machines?"
                        Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

Probably not now. As far as I know 3D printers are more for prototyping in these kinds of applications, or at least it would be very cost prohibitive to make a sturdy functioning guitar body that way.

I doubt it won't be too long before printing materials get sophisticated enough that you could print out a guitar that way cost effectively, and then not much longer after that before it's cheaper to print out a guitar out of raw material than it is to chop down trees, cut and treat the wood, shape it, glue it together, etc....

Then everyone from the Gibson Nashville plant to the Squier Indonesia factory loses their job and we argue over the original hand shaped wood guitars vs. printed are better, and whether or not it's ****************ed up that everyone lost their job to robots vs 'why don't those lazy ****************ers just get a better job or work for 10 cents an hour to compete with machines?"
                          Good Deals: Hangwire, mhuxtable, Travybear

Comment

I know our engineering college is making some really cook stuff with this technology. I believe they've made robots, that can control other robots. They're even experimenting with edible food. Don't ask me how this is possible, but apparently it is. On the cusp of some really cool **************** here.

Comment

I know our engineering college is making some really cook stuff with this technology. I believe they've made robots, that can control other robots. They're even experimenting with edible food. Don't ask me how this is possible, but apparently it is. On the cusp of some really cool **************** here.

Comment

Working...
                              X