Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gibson GA-20T Ranger-The Holygrail of Tone?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm so glad I joined this forum. It's so nice to talk with people who actually know what the heck they're talking about.

LOLOL

Lurk moar poast less.
    Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

Aaaaaaaaaand they're off!

Noobness and spam aside, the vintage Gibsons are one hell of an amp and bargain. I believe him when his says "holy grail of tone" because I was in the same boat once - until I played an old Gibson amp. It was a simple Ga-5t skylark, 5w of pure sex. Cranked up, it wiped the floor standing against an Orange Rocker 30, Marshal DSL, and a Vox AC50 (I owned all of these amps at one time). I now have a Ga-8t Discoverer and a Ga-200 that just simply sound awesome.

I would say that the assessed value is a bit on the high side (perhaps $200-300 at most), but the tweed Gibsons are the most valuable variant amongst the Gibson amps. It was a time were design and sound were at an overall best. The Ranger in particular is very rare and hard to come by especially in such shape.

The closest thing I can think of in comparison is an old Princeton Reverb. I would safely bet though that the Ranger sounds better in comparison - and overdrives more like a Marshall than a Fender.

Edit: Its so hard to find clips of those who really want to crank the amp and get the gushy glorious raunchy overdrive, but the cleans on this are simply angelic:

...^excuse the apathy^...

SPAM & EGGS

Do you has?:

FS/T: AX84 SEL kit build. KT88, upgraded premium Sprague filter capacitors.

FS/T: Maxon U-1000 pickups, alnico II. Japanese T-tops/PAFs.

Originally Posted by NaturalBornBoy

Life gets boring with a rig that can kill small children???

Originally Posted by Help!I'maRock!

The only thing i get is the "why do you need more gear" line. I ask her why she needs more shoes, and the subject is quickly dropped.

Comment

TruSlice! The only one aside from myself with a computer and a brain. That's pretty gay to just post stuff and say things out of the wrong end peeps. Hate all you want, but it just makes you sound like a moron. This amp didn't impress me just cause it said Gibson on it. This does have the original tweed finish, in very good condition. All original, cause it sat in the back of a church for almost 40 years and wasn't played. Now to explain the price to the primates, there's this thing called Google. Typing the amps information in it will bring up pretty pictures, web pages full of words 'n stuff, and even sometimes prices. These average $900- $2500 depending on there condition. I know at least 1 person will understand this, while at the same time cure the boredom of the rest of the retards by giving them a new post to poke fun at. Have at it kids.

Comment

Attn: N00B

You must have at least TEN (10) posts before you may refer to other forumites as "morons" or "retards."

Also, it's spelled "moran."
          Originally Posted by nightflameauto

You'd think the guy that argues faith as logic would let us all believe in the unicorn.

Originally Posted by draelyc

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here posting to you. You're locked up in here posting to me.

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

I'm helping you, for the future. This way, instead of humping life's doorknobs, you'll perhaps someday open one.

Hardvalve is like Nelo without the class or intelligence.
          Think about that and try not to get an aneurysm from it.

BLOG!
          TUNES!

Comment

TruSlice! The only one aside from myself with a computer and a brain. That's pretty gay to just post stuff and say things out of the wrong end peeps. Hate all you want, but it just makes you sound like a moron. This amp didn't impress me just cause it said Gibson on it. This does have the original tweed finish, in very good condition. All original, cause it sat in the back of a church for almost 40 years and wasn't played. Now to explain the price to the primates, there's this thing called Google. Typing the amps information in it will bring up pretty pictures, web pages full of words 'n stuff, and even sometimes prices. These average $900- $2500 depending on there condition. I know at least 1 person will understand this, while at the same time cure the boredom of the rest of the retards by giving them a new post to poke fun at. Have at it kids.

Quoted for ban.

buh-bye ****************stick.
            Gibson Ibanez Diezel / Fender / Dan Hall

Originally Posted by Sixtonoize

This.

I couldn't have said it better.

Originally Posted by K-Bizzle

Yeah I'm with Abstract here...

Originally Posted by Bob Savage

I like your style, and attention to reason.

Originally Posted by TornadoOfSouls

Just don't buy it from Dewy / Musicians Friend.

Originally Posted by justcrash

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Great deals with: MHenson, Honkridge, Ledvedder, Rik-Guitarstudi, ***1776***, shane159, chriscnb, LA-Ü-RA, LoopQuantum, exafro, Silvervox325, EdgeOfDarkness, Ricky Bobby, Valtiel, Fretless, 100 watt...

Comment

See ya later*, slick!

*Never
              I had a signature once...

Comment

See ya later*, slick!

*Never

Originally Posted by newbie chick

My internet brilliance hinges on finding the critical balance point of pseudo-intelligence and snarky attitude.

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

i like boobs. but after a little while, i'm ready to take the party downstairs

Originally Posted by Mr. Awesome

All my threads are 100% serious and life changing topics, I have no time for being funny.

Comment

Lulz with a side o' style.

You'd think the guy that argues faith as logic would let us all believe in the unicorn.

Originally Posted by draelyc

None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here posting to you. You're locked up in here posting to me.

Originally Posted by LoopQuantum

I'm helping you, for the future. This way, instead of humping life's doorknobs, you'll perhaps someday open one.

Hardvalve is like Nelo without the class or intelligence.
                  Think about that and try not to get an aneurysm from it.

BLOG!
                  TUNES!

Comment

JC FTW.
                    BG Pickups are awesome: www.norcalguitars.com

Arend @ Sweetwater =

Originally Posted by Guitarist+

I don't need your empathy.

Comment

Wow.  I was just looking for info on these amps and came across this thread.  I really hope this guy didn't get banned.  It was the "super contributors" who were in the wrong here... and in so many ways.

And, for the ill-educated... this amp is easily worth $800-1200.  Anyone saying it is worth anything less is a fool.

These folks should be ashamed of themselves. 

Good deals with: Tres Mellow, Invader.CC, tb_308, fliprose, Bengal, thewizardsofhop, 02-Fatboy, playonj, andrewbrisbin, Andrewsonfire, Mark Cearlock, ZanaZulu888, super56k, mikeyElite, Tone Meister, michaellambson, cratz2, devnulljp, stratedge09, deadllama, TMKeckler, object47, scotty66, thesockmonster, cstamper and several others I can't remember.

Comment

• Wyatt
                        Wyatt commented
                        Editing a comment

mrlutton wrote:

Wow.  I was just looking for info on these amps and came across this thread.  I really hope this guy didn't get banned.  It was the "super contributors" who were in the wrong here... and in so many ways.

And, for the ill-educated... this amp is easily worth $800-1200.  Anyone saying it is worth anything less is a fool.

These folks should be ashamed of themselves. 

Not really.

I follow to used Gibson and Valco amp market (not as much as I used to, for reasons I'll list below).

$800-1400 is what people are asking for, but those amps are sitting around collecting dust. The average selling price of a good tweed GA-20T is $400-800 (the two-tones will draw maybe $600-900).

While I admit prices are rising fast, it's a sucker buy as gear. The amps used the cheapest possible componenets available...parts so bad Gibson had to actively seek them out because they could have bought better parts at the local electronics store. As a result, the electrolytics caps were cap when they were new and all need to be replaced. Their coupling caps are often leaking DC voltage and have drifted well out of tolerance. And typically (as with all old amps) the plate resistors are all baked. Plus, I rarely find a Gibson push-pull output transformer that has remained balanced.

The reason Gibson amps were never a successful competitor to Fender, and remained so cheap for so long was because they were made like sh!t, and weren't reliable to gig and tour without a lot of TLC. These amps really aren't worth more than $500 as a tool; but they keep appreciating -- so one can buy it, stick it in a basement and collect a profit in a few years.

All this sh!t said, the f?cker was spamming and didn't like it when people busted his balls.

Working...
                    X