Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least Karaoke is a step up from the lip synch fad in the 80s. I can't be the only one that remembers that disturbing trend.

I signed up for Mili Vanilli once at karaoke and was shocked that I had to sing it myself.

Naturally I blamed it on the rain.
    Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dream.

The show, no matter how retarded, must go on. This is why musicians drink so much, alcohol helps them cope with facts by enveloping their brains and auditory senses in a haze of thickly applied B.S.

Comment

The club last night only uses Karaoke or a DJ

Last night during load-in the bartender asks me :
      ".....so what is it that you do again? You sing and play guitar?? Is there any music???"
      SELLING
      $40 Washburn Lyon wah
      $50 Korg EXP2 expression pedal
      $80 Ernie Ball VP Jr volume pedal
      $60 Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
      $600 Rivera TBR1 2 channel preamp stereo power amp
      $150 Roland GP100 preamp/multi effects/ speaker emulator
      $140 Carvin DCM 150-150 watt stereo power amp

www.jpaulmusic.com
      www.facebook.com/jpaulmusic

Comment

Because, pretty obviously, if Christina Aguleira walked into a karaoke bar and got up and sang a song, everyone there would consider that a "live performance", wouldn't they?

I don't think so- although Christina fans might be more LIKELY to. And even those would know the difference between her singing to karaoke tracks vs with a band, IMO- regardless of the semantics or labeling involved.

But what if CA jumped on stage with an amateur live band, that just happened to suck at playing her songs? In that case the band's performance wouldn't be very professional, but it would still be a live performance (just not overall a very good one) instead of karaoke.
        Gear: a room full of really LOUD plastic crap

Comment

What am I missing?

I think what is missing is not whether or not something is or isn't live music but rather what is or isn't entertainment that will make the club owner money and therefore get you hired.

Music is art and I'm guessing almost anyone can paint a picture. But if you are looking to make a living the question becomes can you sell that painting. How did a guy playing records on 2 turntables ever displace live musicians in the eyes of an audience? And what can musicians learn form that to get back on that stage and make a living from it (assuming that you do want to make a living from it)?
          Don Boomer

Comment

I signed up for Mili Vanilli once at karaoke and was shocked that I had to sing it myself.

Naturally I blamed it on the rain.

Once again, you've made a statement that I desperately want to put into my signature.
            Music, music, I hear music

Comment

The club last night only uses Karaoke or a DJ

Last night during load-in the bartender asks me :
              ".....so what is it that you do again? You sing and play guitar?? Is there any music???"

This is where you remove a glove from your jacket, slap him with it, and challenge him to a duel for your honor.
              Music, music, I hear music

Comment

I think what is missing is not whether or not something is or isn't live music but rather what is or isn't entertainment that will make the club owner money and therefore get you hired...........
                And what can musicians learn form that to get back on that stage and make a living from it (assuming that you do want to make a living from it)?

That's more of a bigger picture perspective ...
                This club is not an entertainment destination.
                There is no pole dancing, dog show night, free movie night, family bowling, dart tournament, ball shaving contest, bingo, ad infinitum....

It's just a place to drink beer after work in the middle of nowhere. If they didn't have karaoke their business would drop MAYBE 5% at the most... so (in this particular instance) it's not a matter of convincing a buyer of the entertainment value. It was a matter of just staying out of the way and making the sell.

There is a sign outside that says "Live Music" .....(turns out he has never had a band there). So I walked in cold turkey (w/ no research) on the way home from a show got the info, called the owner the next morning (based on a sign that says " Live Music")....
                it actually took awhile for him to understand that I wasn't a DJ / Karaoke guy.
                To him karaoke IS live music
                SELLING
                $40 Washburn Lyon wah

www.jpaulmusic.com

Comment

Perhaps the owner thinks Live person = Live music? end of discussion in the owners eyes.

Comment

Perhaps the owner thinks Live person = Live music? end of discussion in the owners eyes.

yeah I think you're right,
                    (yesterday somebody posted "tonight : Live DJ"....... lol, same thing)

That's why I made this thread because for all I know he is an isolated example and it's just his opinion,
                    but if more and more people feel the same way as he does, then he is not isolated.
                    SELLING
                    $40 Washburn Lyon wah

www.jpaulmusic.com

Comment

This is where you remove a glove from your jacket, slap him with it, and challenge him to a duel for your honor.

The hell of it is
                      it went really well and a bunch of peeps were dancing and having a ball (and tipping)
                      and then they got chased out at 10 when the bar closed early....

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2965815-guilt&p=47110334&posted=1#post47110334
                      SELLING
                      $40 Washburn Lyon wah

www.jpaulmusic.com

Comment

Do you guys have a live band karaoke where you're at??

There is a venue around here that does band karaoke. Always with the same band - and I think on a weeknight? I'm not sure if the band that does the karaoke plays anywhere else.

But that same venue has full bands on the weekends.
                        * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
                        My cover band

HARD WORK BEATS TALENT WHEN TALENT DOESN'T WORK HARD

Comment

I don't think so- although Christina fans might be more LIKELY to. And even those would know the difference between her singing to karaoke tracks vs with a band, IMO- regardless of the semantics or labeling involved.

Yes, that's my point. People WOULD know that she was singing live either way, and would therefore consider it a live performance by her. I don't think they'd give a **************** whether she sang with a band or not. Or where the tracks came from or how they were produced. Hell, I'm a musician and I'M having a hard time seeing why the difference between somebody singing along to a karaoke machine and somebody singing along to 'tracks' and calling themselves a "solo act" is so large that one can be objectively be called live and the other not. And if I'm having a hard time with that distinction, then I really can't see how non-musicians are going to make it.

A lot of this seems to come to: musicians expecting the general public to draw lines that nobody but musicians care about. Well, here's the truth: they aren't gonna care. They are just either going to like what they see or not.

So rather than trying to berate audience members or clubowners into understanding the fine lines between when a performance is 'live' and when it is not because of how the backing tracks were made or the nature of the type of singing it is, the only thing to do is be a better product.

Few clubowners are going to pay you more money than the karaoke dude just because you insist that what you do is 'real' and 'live' if he can make as much money or more with the karaoke act. Not if he's interested in staying in business, anyway. So be better than karaoke. Is that really such a high bar to attain?

Beats sitting around complaining about how stupid everybody is because they don't know what "real" music is anymore, doncha think?
                          https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                          http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

And going back to something I complain about a lot: I think a lot of the confusion stems from the fact that so much of what passes for 'live music' has sucked so much for so long.

The difference between 'live music' and karaoke is like the difference between a real sporting event and the TV show "Wipeout!". While the people participating in "Wipeout!" are trying very hard to be good, the real reason the public watches the show is because they want to see people make fools of themselves. Just like karaoke. Difference is: there's little confusion between "Wipeout!" and real sporting events because the real sporting events that people are expected to pay money (or watch advertisements) to see are miles and miles about the level of athletic ability and competition seen on "Wipeout!" The two things can co-exist in the same universe because real, professional sports has done so much to make sure they are much better than common folk making fools of themselves.

If only most "live music" was that much better than karaoke, I doubt anybody would confuse the two....
                            https://www.facebook.com/JumpStartYourParty
                            http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/jumps...587fe5f12.html

Comment

The hell of it is
                              it went really well and a bunch of peeps were dancing and having a ball (and tipping)
                              and then they got chased out at 10 when the bar closed early....

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2965815-guilt&p=47110334&posted=1#post47110334

Maybe you've expanded their notion of "Live Music..."
                              Just-Got-Lucky
                              ----------------
                              My blogs: http://lwgat.blogspot.com/
                              My Music: http://www.fall-to-earth.com

Comment

Portland, OR has had a live band with karaoke-style guests for about 15 years now. It caught on so well that now there are two bands in the region that do that.

It was attempted here in the Palm Springs area about 4 years ago, and didn't fly.

Lately it's seemed to me that live music is in a little bit of a comeback. I hope.

Comment

Working...
                                X