karaoke IS live music

J.Paul

• Members

I don't think that any clubs around here would promote Karaoke as 'live music'. Bands are sort of marquee entertainment. Karaokee is something that happens on Tuesdays with $.25 Hot Wings night. In fact, aside from small bars that don't book live bands, I don't see any bars that host karaoke on the weekends. I would think it would affect acoustic and solo acts more than bands. Unless the bands themselves didn't have any draw.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In fact, aside from small bars that don't book live bands, I don't see any bars that host karaoke on the weekends.

For a couple of years I hosted a very successful weekend karaoke show in a bar that sat around 100. It is on the smallish side, but they used to occasionally book bands. The bands couldn't fill the place up like the karaoke show did.

I could have done that show indefinitely but moved it to it's current location on weeknights because it's a bigger room, better pay, and I get to DJ on weekends (something I really wanted to get into).

I think someone mentioned rotation management which can be a struggle with singers unfamiliar to karaoke shows. I just calmly explain that everyone sings once before they can sing again. If that doesn't work security "explains" it to them :lol:

I'll have my hands full this Wednesday night. The night before Thanksgiving is huge and there are always newbies who don't understand how karaoke works. Some won't get a chance to sing at all even if they get a slip in two hours before close.

There are nights when I really earn my pay.

• Members
Oh and another thing seen this many times the KJ (dj) get's up and sings and everything SOUNDS GREAT, then when a joe blow goes up they turn the mic and the tracks down so everyone else sucks. That's a big pet peeve of mine.

I have seen that as well and it speaks more to the nature of the guy running it than anything else; it's sure is pretty crappy, right up their with those that run Karaoke and sing 4 or 5 songs in a row while gobs of people are signed up and waiting. Newsflash, if ya wanna be the only singer than just form a band already so these drunk crooners are not mislead and can go warble someplace else.

Whups, little derail there :)

• Members

There is an element to this thread that no one has addressed yet:

Some bars are "Karaoke Bars"
but
some venues are just bars that currently have karaoke in them (and perhaps through months and years gets rotated with DJs, Comedy, Bands, Trivia.... whatever).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vanlatte

View Post

I have seen that as well and it speaks more to the nature of the guy running it than anything else; it's sure is pretty crappy, right up their with those that run Karaoke and sing 4 or 5 songs in a row while gobs of people are signed up and waiting. Newsflash, if ya wanna be the only singer than just form a band already so these drunk crooners are not mislead and can go warble someplace else.

Whups, little derail there smile.gif

Oh amen brother, 2nd pet peeve, have to watch them do as you say not 2 in a row always 4 to 5 WITH multiples lined up. Not only is it bad for business it's terrible service.

Works better to play top 40 between tunes, lot of times you get dancers and the party begins and the Karaoke is forgotten about for a while, gives your ears something good to listen to and best of all sells more booze!

• Members

Question: Do you know how to tell the difference between a boy worm and a girl worm?

Answer: It only matters if you are a worm.

So my question back to the OP is, given the context of "music" in "bars" does it make any difference what you call it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul

View Post

There is an element to this thread that no one has addressed yet:

Some bars are "Karaoke Bars"

but

some venues are just bars that currently have karaoke in them (and perhaps through months and years gets rotated with DJs, Comedy, Bands, Trivia.... whatever).

...or Guitar Hero (don't guess that trend lasted, though) or, in the case of my local club (and current primary employer), MIDGET WRESTLING.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin

View Post

Works better to play top 40 between tunes, lot of times you get dancers and the party begins and the Karaoke is forgotten about for a while, gives your ears something good to listen to and best of all sells more booze!

That's another good point about entertainment. The Karaoke business that understands what you just said, making it a party with song snippets between singers (booty shaking stuff), contests, etc. are a hell of a lot more fun than random bored dude with more money than ambition that plops his PA down and waits around for people to come up and sing.

Now that I think about it there is a guy in my area that really gets it, I was there for Halloween. He did it all; good sound clips between singers, raffles, prizes for singing something Halloween themed and ...the guy didn't sing once the entire night. But he did a hell of a job keeping that place packed.

From a bar owners perspective I can see how somebody like that would appeal as a good "live music" investment.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer

View Post

Question: Do you know how to tell the difference between a boy worm and a girl worm?

Answer: It only matters if you are a worm.

If you go to a sports bar while the Superbowl is on and all they have on is basketball does it matter? It's sports.

Quote Originally Posted by dboomer

View Post

So my question back to the OP is, given the context of "music" in "bars" does it make any difference what you call it?

In terms of marketing, it does to me.

The obvious "we spent all this time learning to play and now karaoke is taking over"argument, to me, is another issue and belongs somewhere else. That's not what this thread was supposed to be. The issue of perception (by the buyer, the the entertainment , and the audience) is my intent. So yes, being able to market and sell live music matters to me when the definition (and what it's called) changes.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by J.Paul

View Post

If you go to a sports bar while the Superbowl is on and all they have on is basketball does it matter? It's sports.

In terms of marketing, it does to me.

The obvious "we spent all this time learning to play and now karaoke is taking over"argument, to me, is another issue and belongs somewhere else. That's not what this thread was supposed to be. The issue of perception (by the buyer, the the entertainment , and the audience) is my intent. So yes, being able to market and sell live music matters to me when the definition (and what it's called) changes.

Getting back to the orignal concept. No, I don't know anyone, music or non-music, who would go to a bar advertising "Live Music" and accept Karaoke as a substitute. We did sort of skirt aorund the issue. I love Karoake, but if I'm expecting to see "Live Music" I want a band.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by vanlatte

View Post

Whups, little derail there smile.gif

I do karaoke as a fill in host when the regular host isn't there.

I might sing a song or 2 at the beginning. If the night is hopping I won't sing again. I do have my songs on a list ready to go, if someone is taking to Long or "will be right back" I might sneak in an extra song or two...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OldGuitarPlayer

View Post

Hey just because I think karoke is a joke doesn't mean people don't enjoy themselves getting drunk once a week and make fools out of themselves for free at the karoke bar. Sorry but when I perform in public for strangers in a night club or bar I expect to get paid for it. Same reason why I only host open mics ( I get paid for it) and not play at them for free.

I think karaoke is a joke too. I do it for a lark, and sing songs id never sing in a band.

Crazy by Gnarles Barkley

Short skirt long jacket

New York new York

Etc.

I'm not too good to perform for free. But my band is a different story.

thumb.gif

• Members

That's the way I approach it as well. I got up on stage to sing Duran Duran's "Rio" some months back when I went to Karaoke. I never sang it in front of people before in my life, so it was an interesting experience. Called up the wife to duet on "Jackson" just for the hell of it (neither of us ever sang that one) and I threw in "Dear Prudence" just to see how well I could sing it in its original key (answer: not as well as I hoped). Still got compliments for it anyway. I guess I feel I shouldn't go to Karaoke because I actually get paid professionally to sing in a band and it's kind of unfair to take up that slot from those that are doing it for fun or just on the amateur level, so I almost never do it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22

View Post

I think karaoke is a joke too. I do it for a lark, and sing songs id never sing in a band.

Crazy by Gnarles Barkley

Short skirt long jacket

New York new York

Etc.

I'm not too good to perform for free. But my band is a different story.

thumb.gif

You can sing "Crazy" in the original key ?! Good on you!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

I guess I feel I shouldn't go to Karaoke because I actually get paid professionally to sing in a band and it's kind of unfair to take up that slot from those that are doing it for fun or just on the amateur level, so I almost never do it.

Don't ever feel like that! As a karaoke host I encourage the lead singers of the bands in the area to sing. I know most of these guys (and a couple of the ladies) from when I was in bands myself, so when they sing I always identify them as lead singer for "X" and then plug their next gig while I'm at it. You always want the best singers in the room up on that stage...

I'm running a fully professional tri-amplified system with dual 21" subs, Yorkville Elite EF-508 tops, three Mackie 450 monitors, compete lights with lasers, and can even turn the fog machine on for their turn if they want it. They love it and often tell me that they wished they looked and sounded that good when they're in their own band.

I was going to take a few pictures of Thanksgiving Eve but just got too slammed to do it. We were absolutely packed, and then had a pretty good night on Thanksgiving too.

I've got DJ gigs this weekend. Next karaoke night is Tuesday and coming off Thanksgiving week it will probably be off. But the club will still be half full.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

You can sing "Crazy" in the original key ?! Good on you!

It's half falsetto so it's a little weak in spots, but it's fun as hell. No point me singing a band song for the millionth time.

Some other fun ones:

STP songs

Alive by pearl jam

2 out of 3 ain't bad

Satisfaction is always a good singalong

Holiday by green day

Haha here's one...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin

View Post

Oh amen brother, 2nd pet peeve, have to watch them do as you say not 2 in a row always 4 to 5 WITH multiples lined up. Not only is it bad for business it's terrible service.

Yeah I've gotta say - after running karaoke shows for years I seldom sing myself except for duets when requested. If rotation is light I will throw in a dance track or two rather than sing - simply because it works better. This is my job.

Last night I had one table who kept shouting "Sing us one KJ". They were new to the room and probably were just testing me to see if I could actually sing. So at the end of the round I sang "One More Night - Maroon 5". It was weird because the whole room went silent. The regulars were so shocked to even see me do something like that. It's been months...

Anyway generally speaking the most successful KJs don't do much singing. The first rule you learn hosting karaoke shows is:

They are not here to listen to you. They are here to listen to themselves.

Archived