Yamaha club series

• Members

Hi Gang I looking for honest opinions from anyone that has experience with Yamaha club series speakers and P series amps. I need to propose a system for a friend that needs it for church. What im thinking is two SW218V powered by a P7000S and two S215V powered by a P7000S. Would this be something I could be proud of or is it shameful junk?

• Members

Hi Gang I looking for honest opinions from anyone that has experience with Yamaha club series speakers and P series amps. I need to propose a system for a friend that needs it for church. What im thinking is two SW218V powered by a P7000S and two S215V powered by a P7000S. Would this be something I could be proud of or is it shameful junk?

I have club 15s that are make for mains or monitors when i do a larger gig i use them with my elites 408 ,the elites sound much better but the yamaha are ok If i didnt have the elites to compare them too Id probley think they are fine,NEVER have had a problems with them and they seem to be built like a tank,sure are heavy!this is them

• Members

I use the single 15's for tops and the single 2's for monitors. They aren't 'Pro' in that they don't sound like the boxes we sen out to large venues, but for bar gigs/ church setup, you can;t do better for the price. I like the way they sound, and they are nice and light... Have heard rough reviews of the subs, and I'm not a fan of 2X15 boxes (assuming those would be the tops....)

• Members

I use the single 15's for tops and the single 2's for monitors. They aren't 'Pro' in that they don't sound like the boxes we sen out to large venues, but for bar gigs/ church setup, you can;t do better for the price. I like the way they sound, and they are nice and light... Have heard rough reviews of the subs, and I'm not a fan of 2X15 boxes (assuming those would be the tops....)

you think they are light? 60 pounds . every time i load them they feel pretty heavy to me

• Members

I think you can do better on subs (Peavey, Sonic in that price range). Double 15 tops tend to be muddy. The Yamaha 15 and 12 clubs speakers are nice for the money. They sound good but get harsh sounding if you try to push them hard.

My .02 cents.

• Members

60 pounds is nothing, you should load a show with me some day... L'Acoustics Arcs and our home-grown 15 and a horn tops are monsters. I can put the yammies on the stick with no assistance, that's what I call light.

The monitors are nothing near 60 lbs, they feel like toys some times (one day I had been working on our Firehouse designed wedges at work, which are hefty little 12 and a horns, then I went to set up with my band and damn-near threw the monitor when I went to pick it up.... Guess I forgot to switch my brain to Yammie mode)

• Members

60 pounds is nothing, you should load a show with me some day... L'Acoustics Arcs and our home-grown 15 and a horn tops are monsters. I can put the yammies on the stick with no assistance, that's what I call light.

The monitors are nothing near 60 lbs, they feel like toys some times (one day I had been working on our Firehouse designed wedges at work, which are hefty little 12 and a horns, then I went to set up with my band and damn-near threw the monitor when I went to pick it up.... Guess I forgot to switch my brain to Yammie mode)

ok im a wimp! mine do wieght 60 pounds tho

• Members

thats some great info guys thanks for your posts. I will rethink the tops and probably suggest the single 15"s. How bout the p series amps anyone used them?

I've owned the older P3200 and more recently the P5000. I loved both and both gave me years of trouble free service. The P5000 and P7000 are amazingly light and amazingly powerful. They look pretty cool too. :thu: Al

• Members

I own and regularly use a bunch of Yamaha club series. They work great. I agree that the dual 15 tops isn't quite the right direction. I prefer having two horns instead and would suggest 2 S112Vs each side. You'll get a smoother more balanced coverage, great vocals. The P series amps work well and are light weight.

• Members

Not junk, but poor choices, IMO. You don't want dual 15", especially w/subs, and definitely not in this price range. And the Yam subs always seem pretty weak. The FR cabs are ok, but there are other cabs for similar or a little less money that I'd rather have.

• Members

I have a bunch of the Club IV 115m wedges. They are great for the money, we use them in most of our club/bar gigs. We don't get any complaints about them. The reason I like them is because they sound decent, you can get good volume out of them, I can run a little bass thru them if I have to, and most importaint is that when the drunks spill their drinks into the horns and cook them the eminence drivers are cheap and easy to either replace or fix. ...Not thats usually a problem for a church, lol. :D

• CMS Author

I agree with a lot of the points made in this thread:

The subs are weak. IMO for similar money consider the Peavey SP-118 and SP218.

The 1x15 and 1x12 are good performers...plenty of volume, easy to EQ, doesn't sound bad, though they can be harsh if driven really hard without EQ.

Forget the 2x15 arrangement. This is a very common mistake for beginners....it's got more drivers and it's bigger, so it must be an improvement, right? Nope. Until you get up into the $1000+ price range, most are muddy, but don't deliver the bass response they're hyped for.

I would consider the Peavey SP series, or some of the good Yorkville alternatives in the same price range, and decide based upon what sounds best and importantly, what is available and serviced locally.

• Members

One thing I need to mention is that I am aware that there are other brands that may be a better choice. Howeve for loyalty resons my client (a good friend) wants to work with a certin dealer that is only able to deliver Yamaha products.

I am completly ruling out the dual 15"s. What I was trying to acomplish was geting the tops to a 4ohm load and I think putting two of the single 12"s on each side of a P5000S would do nicely. So the system would be.

SW218V

SW218V