Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Portable PA & the Solo Performer

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been following the EMX series closely with the reviews posted in MF and other online music stores. But I can't find any reference to a EMX 312MG. I get EMX312sc and EMX512sc. I dont believe that is what you are referring to though ??!!

Comment

Yeah, it's the sc's. That's what I get for trying to remember the exact product name when I'm not at home. People love or hate Apple, but dammit, imagine if the "iPhone" was named the "CR384HB" or something. Apple's probably one of the few tech companies in the world that knows how to freaking name products.

I mean, what the hell is EMX312sc? Some acronym from hell. However, I very much love it, for what it does. And what it does is sound good without weighing 40 pounds.

Oh wait... just re-read my original post. Where I said I wasn't sure of the exact model name. I was pretty close, actually.
      ---
      Richard MacLemale
      My Website at www.richardmac.com

Comment

I mean, what the hell is EMX312sc? Some acronym from hell. However, I very much love it, for what it does. And what it does is sound good without weighing 40 pounds..

Richard,

what speakers are you carrying with the EMX312sc? I apologize if you had mentioned before. I thought you mentioned Mackies, and the reason why I ask this ; is as we well know; what good is a mixer without the right speakers!
        It appears that Musicians Fr suggest 2 yamaha BR15 15" 2-way speakers.
        thanks
        K

Comment

I do a lot of solo nights & have done some upgrading recently. I sold all my passive speakers & two powered mixers and picked up the following:

EV SxA250 (main)
          EV Sxa100 (monitor)
          Soundcraft EFX8 - should arrive this week.

The single main is still plenty for the biggest place I play & the powered speakers are a huge improvement over my old passives (Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie).

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

Richard,

what speakers are you carrying with the EMX312sc? I apologize if you had mentioned before. I thought you mentioned Mackies, and the reason why I ask this ; is as we well know; what good is a mixer without the right speakers!
            It appears that Musicians Fr suggest 2 yamaha BR15 15" 2-way speakers.
            thanks
            K

I own a pair of Peavey PR12's, as well as a pair of Peavey PR15's. If I want, I can power all 4 with the EMX - it's 4 ohms per side then, and the EMX is delivering 300 wpc. When I want a big but not loud sound, I can do that. The PR12's go up on poles and the PR15's sit on the ground. If it's an outdoor show and I need more than 300 wpc, I've also got a Mackie power amp that's 200 wpc into 8 ohms (the EMX is about that, too.) So I can power the two PR15's with the Mackie and the two PR12's with the Yamaha. That gives me about 800 watts total. I'm a solo guy and even when I play outdoors we're not talking huge crowds, so it's enough for me.

My problem is monitoring. For a small show in a coffee house, I don't really need a monitor. But for an outdoor show, if I have to really crank it, feedback would be a problem. I've been getting around this by borrowing more equipment, but eventually I'm going to most likely pick up a powered monitor to add to my rig.

By the way - I've heard the Yamaha BR speakers, and in my opinion, they don't sound as good as the Peavey PR series. But the BR's are heavier and they cost more money. The Yamaha Clubs sound better than the Peavey's, but I was not impressed at all with the BR's. The Clubs cost quite a bit more than the PR's.
            ---
            Richard MacLemale

Comment

I just got my Soundcraft EFX8 and I love it. Only thing is that I wish it had some type of main graphic EQ, but it sounds amazing. The effects are awesome. I plan on eventually buying a graphic EQ.

I do a lot of solo nights & have done some upgrading recently. I sold all my passive speakers & two powered mixers and picked up the following:

EV SxA250 (main)
              EV Sxa100 (monitor)
              Soundcraft EFX8 - should arrive this week.

The single main is still plenty for the biggest place I play & the powered speakers are a huge improvement over my old passives (Peavey, Yamaha, Mackie).
              Anthony

-Gibson Songwriter A/E Guitar
              -Martin DC1E A/E Guitar
              -Alvarez PF90SC A/E Guitar
              -Soundcraft EFX8
              -2 JBL PRX 512M's on stands
              -TC Helicon VSM300XT Personal Monitor
              -Radial JDI Passive Direct Box
              -Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box
              -Electro Voice ND767A Mic
              -Sure Beta 87C Mic
              -Audio Technica MB4k Condenser
              -Tascam US144 MKII USB Interface

Comment

I just got my Soundcraft EFX8 and I love it. Only thing is that I wish it had some type of main graphic EQ, but it sounds amazing. The effects are awesome. I plan on eventually buying a graphic EQ.

We used it last Saturday for a trio gig (3 vocals, 2 guitars) & it sounded great. Agreed about the effects; much better than the FX on my Mackie. Even with a good deal of hall reverb, the articulation was still there. I thought about the EQ too but if it sounds this good as is, I may go without.

I still want to get it set up so I can tweak for a couple of hours at stage levels. Maybe this weekend.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." -Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Comment

We used it last Saturday for a trio gig (3 vocals, 2 guitars) & it sounded great. Agreed about the effects; much better than the FX on my Mackie. Even with a good deal of hall reverb, the articulation was still there. I thought about the EQ too but if it sounds this good as is, I may go without.

I still want to get it set up so I can tweak for a couple of hours at stage levels. Maybe this weekend.

I agree, I still need to play with mine some more to learn my way around it. I know it's not that complex, but I still want to become more comfortable with everything on it. I've only had the chance to use it at home since I got it.

Youre right though, it sounds great as is even without a graphic EQ. And it may not make a big difference for what I do (solo acoustic guitar/vocals). But it would be nice to have. It's just another thing to add in that would take a little more time during set up to get right. But in the alot of settings it could really tweak out the sound.

I have been contemplating buying a rack setup and mounting the mixer in it, kinda like a mini gig rig type. Only problem there is most of the good ones weigh between 40-50 lbs empty! Add in the mixer and a few rack components and it will be a beast! I just think everything is neat and tidy in those units.
                  Anthony

-Gibson Songwriter A/E Guitar
                  -Martin DC1E A/E Guitar
                  -Alvarez PF90SC A/E Guitar
                  -Soundcraft EFX8
                  -2 JBL PRX 512M's on stands
                  -TC Helicon VSM300XT Personal Monitor
                  -Radial JDI Passive Direct Box
                  -Whirlwind IMP2 Direct Box
                  -Electro Voice ND767A Mic
                  -Sure Beta 87C Mic
                  -Audio Technica MB4k Condenser
                  -Tascam US144 MKII USB Interface

Comment

I agree, I still need to play with mine some more to learn my way around it. I know it's not that complex, but I still want to become more comfortable with everything on it. I've only had the chance to use it at home since I got it.

Youre right though, it sounds great as is even without a graphic EQ. And it may not make a big difference for what I do (solo acoustic guitar/vocals). But it would be nice to have. It's just another thing to add in that would take a little more time during set up to get right. But in the alot of settings it could really tweak out the sound.

I have been contemplating buying a rack setup and mounting the mixer in it, kinda like a mini gig rig type. Only problem there is most of the good ones weigh between 40-50 lbs empty! Add in the mixer and a few rack components and it will be a beast! I just think everything is neat and tidy in those units.

Yeah, that'd be too much for me. I'm trying to get the best sound possible out of a simple, stripped-down, easy to transport & set up system.

I got one of these to carry my EFX8 around. Fits it perfectly: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKB1615-Mini-Mixer-Case?sku=544512&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=2604 6252

Comment

The first comment is from a Pro Audio engineer:
                      Bose engineers are clever. So are the marketing people there. They use well-known principles of acoustics and then claim that they have some amazing new technology. This vertical line array is a perfect example. Bose uses cheap Chinese drivers which require all sorts of electronic massage, (i.e.signal processing) to mask the cheap driver's strange high end effects.
                      If you want the beneficial effects of a line array, you could build a better system for 20 percent of this ludicrously inflated price.
                      Of course, if you like to support a gigantic corporation that takes credit for laws of physics as if they invented them, and takes advantage of consumer ignorance, and spends WAY to much on advertising directed at the technically illiterate, then fine, waste your money on the Bose name. If you prefer to get maximum value for your dollars, avoid this and all Bose products

This second comment is from a Pro Musician :

I played in a medium volume electric blues band and thought we could use this for PA system. Sure it sounded great in my house, and I was willing to overlook the made in China labels. But when I tried it at a gig, in an actual bar, it sounded like an AM radio even with both bass modules. I would love to have a pair of these for my home theater, but there's no way to justify the price for that type of application. Yes they are high Fidelity, and they have a wide sound dispersion but they will still feedback like anything else. At least with a regular speaker you can point it away from the microphones a little bit. Sure this is fine for an acoustic gig but hardly worth the money. Instead after returning it I purchased 3 powered EV 15 inch two-way speakers and beringer mixer for about the same price, and quite simply it just blows the pants off of the Bose system. Plenty of bass, crisp and clear sound and more than enough volume for a loud rock band. I aim two at the audience and one at the band. Bose may have great marketing, but this piece of crap Chinese product is nothing more than a gimmick

Comment

I don't think that these generic types of comments are particularly helpful especially if they are not fully accurate. I'm also not quite sure what exactly qualifies someone as a "Pro Engineer" or "Pro Musician".

Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss any concerns, features, design decisions, applications as long as they are reasonably specific.

Comment

I don't think that these generic types of comments are particularly helpful especially if they are not fully accurate. I'm also not quite sure what exactly qualifies someone as a "Pro Engineer" or "Pro Musician".

Anyway, I'd be happy to discuss any concerns, features, design decisions, applications as long as they are reasonably specific.

Thanks for replying. Maybe you could explain " the Vertical line array" referred to by the so-called Pro-Audio eng. And also the "cheap Chinese Drivers".

Let me say that I have had this Bose unit demo'd to me recently, and it sounded great. So I am really on the fence presently. But as a consumer I am also cautious.

Comment

Glad to help.

"Vertical Line Array"
                            The L1 is definitely a vertical line array. That simply means you have a sound source that's much taller than it is wide. The consequence is that sounds radiates very widly left & right and very little above and below the speakers.
                            That leads to the very interesting property that the sound fall off with distance is a lot less than with a conventional speaker (e.g. a compresion driver with a horn).

For example you can have a decent sound level in the audience and still put your ear right up against the L1 without hurting yourself. That has a lot of very beneficial effects. Sound on stage and in the audience (with a reasonable distance) is quite similar and you don't need monitors and rarely a mixer. In essence it's a similar playing experience as an acoustical or backline-only gig, it just fills a larger space.

Off course as with any systems, there a limits in terms of reach, range, SPL, audience etc. I personally play with 10 piece rock&soul cover band (Earth wind & fire, Tower of Tower, Motown, etc.) and we do general business gigs up to maybe 300 people. We take out 3-5 systems depending on the occasion.

Cheap Chinese Drivers
                            Our drivers are made in indeed in China. They are not cheap. As a company we nearly always custom design a driver for a new product and manufacturing is chosen based on a variety of factors, not just cost. We manufacture our own drivers in the US and Mexico and buy transducers from all over the world.
                            The L1 driver was designed in the US but is currently manufactured in China. Our Chinese partner has excellent manufacturing quality and also significant design capability. For example, they own Celestion. They also happen to make some products that are very highly regarded in this board.

We also host a message board at http://bose.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x where you can talk existing users and some of the designers.
                            Hope that helps.

Comment

Couple of comments;

I've always disliked the usual club sound.
                              Beamy. peaky, with hot spots, dead spots, wolf tones.
                              And now people have decided they need " highs" and " lows" so that means
                              edgy harsh tweeters and
                              big bass bins with loud unfocosed rumble below 35 HZ.
                              Of course i'm weird. I dont have a pod, still have all my hearing, and like to play with dynamics at lower volumes.
                              I think the better you are, the less you need to blast the audiance out
                              with a wall of noise.
                              And having to play behind the speakers and rely on moniters- PITA.
                              More clutter, incosisitant sound, more stuff to load in, have to stay in
                              a small sweet spot, etc.
                              I think bose has correctly identified this as a problem.
                              I just think most people have gotten used to the staus quo, and have no imagination. The bose stuff just looks too different.
                              The price should be cut in half, also.

So i've tried a bunch of stuff.
                              My current setup is a set of "dawn" speakers currently sold by Kustom.
                              I can tell people are dubious because they re so small. They refuse to
                              believe thier ears.
                              I think they sound more natural and i don't need monitors.
                              Maybe i will paint some carboard boxes to look like speakers
                              and stack them up behind me

I do run electric bass through them and they put out the low E.
                              I don't understand why you need any more bass than that
                              unless you are doing contemporry club dance or metal.

I'm using a gigrac from soundcraft.
                              600 watts, compact, built into it's own case, and the effects are fine for
                              club/coffe house.

I'd like to try the fishman. Looks like you might need a small sub for full range repro.
                              The sangreal looks good, say's it's for full range, but pricey.
                              Don't know how much spread you get out the speakers, either.
                              The alto looks portable, would have to hear in person.
                              The key for me; can i stand in front and not have to use monitors.
                              And can i carry or roll it up a flight of stairs without breaking into a sweat.

I would love to beta test some designs or just be an unpaid consultant to
                              help design a better system. I have a lot of ideas. Anyone?

As for the comment about made in china; What isn't these days. Even stuff
                              assembled here is often out of made in china parts. Hard to compete with $2 per day labor.

Comment

I do run electric bass through them and they put out the low E. I don't understand why you need any more bass than that
                                unless you are doing contemporry club dance or metal.

How about background tracks that have a kick drum?
                                ---
                                Richard MacLemale

Comment

Working...
                                X