Electric guitar into PA - how??!!

• Members

ok it might be a stupid question for some -

i've recently started playing in bars. at the moment, have a pa system for microphone and backing tracks (ipod) and a fender blues deluxe amp for the guitar.

it's getting pretty annoying though to lug around the 20kg+ amp but it sounds incredible.

i went out the other night and saw a guitarist play in a bar without an amp - looked like he'd plugged into his little mixer. but he had an incredible tone.

now when i try doing that through my mixer into the PA - it sounds awful!

do i need some kind of preamp or DI box? will it sound as good as the fender tube amp? is it expensive? any recommendations?

thanks

• Members

You need a direct box to go direct to the PA from your guitar's output jack. However, that won't necessarily give you good tone.

A modeler, like a POD, DigiTech RP, or Boss GT, can give you an amp tone direct to the PA. In that lower price range, I prefer a SansAmp, because I like the SansAmp tone better than the Line6, DigiTech, and Boss modeler tones. However, a SansAmp only gives you a good dry amp tone and does not give you effects.

At a higher price point, the Axe-Fx is incredible for going direct and I personally use one for almost all of my gigs.

• Members

There are some amps that inmclude a balanced direct out with cabinet simulation filters for direct connection to the PA. I know, I have designed 5 or 6 of them. They work out quite well for many applications, it depends on the complete set of tradeoffs if it's the right solution for you.

• Members
There are some amps that inmclude a balanced direct out with cabinet simulation filters for direct connection to the PA. I know, I have designed 5 or 6 of them. They work out quite well for many applications, it depends on the complete set of tradeoffs if it's the right solution for you.

The "emulated line out" on the Marshall MG100's is amazing! They don't say it is balanced but just for yucks I used a TRS to XLR cable into the 100' snake and get no noise so guess it must be? It is also the stereo headphone out so looks like it inverts the phase left to right for that otherwise I'd be getting a zero summed? Neat trick...

• Members

As a guy who occassionally carries 1500 lbs worth of stuff, complaining about 20 Kg is silly. Had a drummer who was trying to move to bass because he didn't want to carry a 350 lb set. (Pity. He was a great drummer who could play at any level, read that extremely low, and sound good.)

• CMS Author

ok it might be a stupid question for some -

i've recently started playing in bars. at the moment, have a pa system for microphone and backing tracks (ipod) and a fender blues deluxe amp for the guitar.

it's getting pretty annoying though to lug around the 20kg+ amp but it sounds incredible.

i went out the other night and saw a guitarist play in a bar without an amp - looked like he'd plugged into his little mixer. but he had an incredible tone.

now when i try doing that through my mixer into the PA - it sounds awful!

do i need some kind of preamp or DI box? will it sound as good as the fender tube amp? is it expensive? any recommendations?

thanks

Yes, a DI will help. The reason is because the output from a guitar is very high impedance, and the PA system (mixer) has a very low impedance input. This mismatch causes the tone to be way off, mostly losing a lot of low end and some mids. A DI contains an impedance matching transformer or circuitry that does the same.

Will it sound as good and the Fender all-tube amp. Doubtful, but for a live gig, it's plenty good enough if you find a unit that does what you want.

Note that there are several different types of DI. The most basic is a passive unit that does nothing more than match impedance. Next step is an active unit that has higher output (runs on batteries, AC adapter, or phantom power). Next from there are active units that have tone control, cabinet emulators, etc etc etc and are essentially a preamp.

• Members

It's been said a lot already, but I'll chime in and say the Line 6 POD is a great solution. For a while, I actually used a POD into a small, 400 watt PA head with a Peavey SP-5 PA speaker as my own rig, and after some tweaking, it sounded really good. I have no doubt you can get very giggable sounds with that set up. And, you can find the original POD on eBay for less than $100.

• Members

Will it sound as good and the Fender all-tube amp. Doubtful, but for a live gig, it's plenty good enough if you find a unit that does what you want.

I disagree. Unless you want a full range clean sound, results will be very disappointing unless you use a modeler or preamp and speaker emulation. I wouldn't think of doing a gig with an electric guitar straight in with just a DI.

• Members

I disagree. Unless you want a full range clean sound, results will be very disappointing unless you use a modeler or preamp and speaker emulation. I wouldn't think of doing a gig with an electric guitar straight in with just a DI.

Obviously you won't get an overdriven sound, nor effects, but using suitable pedals befire the DI would accomplish much of this. Then a DI with output filtering, or a console with good eq will get you a lot closer.

• CMS Author

I outlined the various types of DI he could choose, including "units that have tone control, cabinet emulators, etc etc etc and are essentially a preamp."

I also stated that it's doubtful anything will sound as good as an all-tube amp. And in the statement you posted, I specifically wrote, "if you find a unit that does what you want". So I'm not sure what it is you're disagreeing with.

• Members

I outlined the various types of DI he could choose, including "
units that have tone control, cabinet emulators, etc etc etc and are essentially a preamp
."

I also stated that it's doubtful anything will sound as good as an all-tube amp. And in the statement you posted, I specifically wrote, "if you find a unit that does what you want". So I'm not sure what it is you're disagreeing with.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seemed that you were saying a DI without some kind of amp and speaker emulation may sound okay. If that's what you're saying, I'm disagreeing.

• CMS Author

Perhaps I misunderstood, but it seemed that you were saying a DI without some kind of amp and speaker emulation may sound okay. If that's what you're saying, I'm disagreeing.

Is okay. I said it was doubtful a DI would sound as good as his amp, but that for a live gig if he found something he liked, it would be good enough. Guitarists tend to obsess over tone almost as much (lol) as bassists, and think the audience hears the minute nuances they hear, and care. Little could be further from the truth, and if you find a unit that gets in the general vicinity of "your" tone, in a live band setting that's usually more than adequate.

Considering how saturated the market is with "DI's" and floor effects units (such as the Boss GT series) that really are full-feature preamps with an XLR output, the OP should be able to find something suitable. And if his tone happens to be lean, pristine and uber-clean, he could save himself some cash by using a more basic unit, such as a Sansamp.

• Members

Is okay. I said it was doubtful a DI would sound as good as his amp, but that for a live gig if he
found something he liked
, it would be good enough. Guitarists tend to obsess over tone almost as much (lol) as bassists, and think the audience hears the minute nuances they hear, and care. Little could be further from the truth, and if you find a unit that gets in the general vicinity of "your" tone, in a live band setting that's usually more than adequate.

Considering how saturated the market is with "DI's" and floor effects units (such as the Boss GT series) that really are full-feature preamps with an XLR output, the OP should be able to find something suitable. And if his tone
happens
to be lean, pristine and uber-clean, he could save himself some cash by using a more basic unit, such as a Sansamp.

I've played many gigs with a Tonelab direct and been happy with the sound, although I still prefer a good real amp. I just wouldn't want to do it without the amp emulation part in there.

• CMS Author

I've played many gigs with a Tonelab direct and been happy with the sound, although I still prefer a good real amp. I just wouldn't want to do it without the amp emulation part in there.

It's obviously a matter of weighing cost/benefit. If the gig is on the third floor in a city venue with limited or no parking, that Tonelab looks a lot better than the Marshall half-stack. If the place has a loading dock, parking and elevators, the Tonelab will probably stay in the gigbag...

• Members

My son's band uses all Line 6 Pod products.

The lead guitarist uses a Pod Pro with the full footboard.

The lead singer, second guitarist uses a Pod with a full Footboard.

and my son who plays bass uses the Bass Pod XT Live.

The tone is great, There is no backline, so they get everything through their monitors, and I can control the FOH, without having the deal with driven amps behind them.

Also...For those gigs where I don't run the sound...They just walk up to the stage with their equipment in over the shoulder bags, plug into the PA, and away they go.

Just a note.

The Pod Pro has the balanced XLR out.

The pod and the Bass Pod XT live do require a DI.

I use the Active DI from Audiopile,and I have been very happy.

• 1 month later...

Archived