Our solution for mounting 2 tops over our subs.

• Members

We have 2 SRX718 subs and 2 SRX715 tops per side. Sometimes even tho the room is big, our stages are limited in space. Here's what I came up for a solution.

The pedestal screws into the existing thread-in hole in the top of the sub. There are 4 rubber feet on the bottom of the pedestal to protect the finish on the sub. At the top of the pedestal, the width of the speakers can be adjusted and locked into place with a locking knobs. This will allow splaying the tops, or facing them forward. Since there are 2 holes in the SRX715s to allow them to be tilted down, you can face the inner speaker down at the dance floor, and keep the outer speaker faced forward. Or both can be tilted down.

I was worried about it being top-heavy, but it's really not at all. If we were playing in a place where I was concerned about people bumping against it really hard, I'd strap the lower subs to the upper subs. But I don't think it will be necessary. The tops weigh 95 lbs for the pair, and the stand weighs about 20 lbs.

My son fabricated these out of aluminum for me. I think they'd hold 500 lbs!

Facing straight:

SpeakerStand2-2.jpg

Splayed (kind of hard to see from the shot):

SpeakerStand1.jpg

SpeakerStand3.jpg

• Members

What kind of trussing is that? It would look really awesome if you fit a small 'flat' par in the center of the trussing as a 'truss warmer'.... just sayin' ...
;)

The truss is custom-built by my son, but that's a great idea! I was thinking about powdercoating it black, but I could just as easily powdercoat it silver and put a light in each. We're already using all LED lights with a DMX controller, and it'd be really easy to add them into the light system. Thanks for the idea!

• Members

Very nice! I'd anodize or paint if black myself but it might also polish up nicely
:)

I'm planning on powdercoating them, but wanted to use them before I commit. Just in case we need to make any changes. I was going to do a black finish, but I like dcastar's idea of putting a trusswarmer light in each so I might go with silver.

• Members

Very nice work, looks great, but you are putting a lot of faith in that threaed joint on the sub. I hope it can hold up.

I agree. But I have the JBL poles, and this seems so much more stable than the thread-in pole with 1 top on it. If it comes down on the dance floor, I'll post pics! ;)

• Members

Very nice work, looks great, but you are putting a lot of faith in that threaed joint on the sub. I hope it can hold up.

What might concern me more is the top sub not being connected better to the bottom one.

Edit: he did say he could strap them together...

• Members

very cool. glad the truss is locked into the pole cup. from a layman's POV I'd be nervous, but since it's locked in.

Funny thing is when I don't have much room (wedding etc) I don't need much PA. But generally 2 single 18's or a dual on its side it too wide.

• Members

Nice work. I like the adjustable width feature which lets you configure the tops in several different ways.

Very purdy :) I'd light it myself. I've seen DJs light vertical trusses like that (although longer ones usually with moving heads on top) and it always looks distinctive.

• Members

Looks good to me, the short nature of the truss minimizes the moment of rotation pretty well and the subs are lower profile then they seem from the photo. The only thing to do is test out it's stability in real life.

I would also clip or round the corners of the truss endplates and roll the plate edges a bit so they don't become finger knives.

• Members

Looks good to me, the short nature of the truss minimises the moment of rotation pretty well and the subs are lower profile then they seem from the photo. The only thing to do is test out it's stability in real life.

I would also clip or round the corners of the truss endplates and roll the plate edges a bit so they don't become finger knives.

Good idea! I'll do that before we powdercoat them. It's off to the gig tonight to test 'em out.

• Members

Here are a couple of crappy phone pics. This was a fairly large place, and the owner likes it pretty loud. We positioned the tops so the outside ones faced straight out to cover the back of the room. The inside tops faced in and tilted down to cover the dance floor. It worked out very nicely.

Now, I'm going to round the corners, powdercoat them silver, and put lights in them. Thanks for the suggestions!

2012-03-31_19-45-29_5.jpg

2012-03-31_19-45-49_328-1.jpg

2012-03-31_19-45-17_560-1.jpg

Archived