Gigging- 2nd Acoustic Lowered Tuning?

Potts

• Members

I currently only bring one acoustic to gigs. I've been thinking of bringing a second. Not for alternate tunings or backup, but for songs that are vocally "just" out of my range. There's some cool stuff that might be fun to do like some Rush, Yes, Maroon 5 or a few others that are just out of my comfort level. Does anyone do this?

• Members

yeah... i almost always bring 2 guitars and sometimes 3... one of which is tuned to "D"... we both tune to E flat as a rule but there are several tunes that i am much more comfortable with in "D"... plus the fact that a good friend of ours occasionally joins us on stage with his uilleann pipes which are tuned to "D"... the third guitar is usually alternate tuning...

• Members

Hey Voltan, LOVE the pipes! We just saw Paddy Keenan here in Buffalo. Legendary, classy, nice guy to speak with.

Potts, ever try the Variax? I use the old acoustic version (now at "legacy" status as they don't make it anymore). I use 2-3 tunings a night (standard, DADGAD, open D) and basically push a button to get there. I used to carry an extra guitar before the Variax, but we also have my wife's guitar, a cello, banjo, mandolin, etc, so I get tired of making too many trips to the car. Actually, I try to avoid songs we do with the extra instruments because of the pain it is to carry them in. Dreaming of a single case to carry all the extra instruments.... but that might be off topic.

Dave

• Members

I always tune 1/2 step down. I think I've seen you use a capo. Why not tune 1/2 or a full step down and then capo when you want to be in standard?

To be honest I don't know. One reason is I'd have to get my guitar set up to accomadate the lowered tuning- but that's probably just an excuse. It really would be an easier way to go though.

• Members

Hey Dave! I love the model that you're speaking of...I've never owned one though. Man that must be convenient! I wonder how much they go for now.

Hey Voltan, LOVE the pipes! We just saw Paddy Keenan here in Buffalo. Legendary, classy, nice guy to speak with.

Potts, ever try the Variax? I use the old acoustic version (now at "legacy" status as they don't make it anymore). I use 2-3 tunings a night (standard, DADGAD, open D) and basically push a button to get there. I used to carry an extra guitar before the Variax, but we also have my wife's guitar, a cello, banjo, mandolin, etc, so I get tired of making too many trips to the car. Actually, I try to avoid songs we do with the extra instruments because of the pain it is to carry them in. Dreaming of a single case to carry all the extra instruments.... but that might be off topic.

Dave

• Members

I always tune 1/2 step down. I think I've seen you use a capo. Why not tune 1/2 or a full step down and then capo when you want to be in standard?

This^^^^^^^^

My Tak stays in tune and I haven't broken a string in years....and I sometimes hit it pretty good

• Members

Regardless of how it's tuned, it's always nice to have a backup instrument along, anyway. Accidents and broken strings and such do happen.

As soon as I can afford it I want to add a Taylor baritone guitar. Not only a lower tuning (a 4th or 5th down) but it has a uniquely distinctive sound.

I pulled the trigger on an Ovation baritone just this summer and love the sound. It goes low enough, tuned to A, that I don't think I'll ever ponder getting an acoustic bass again.

• Members

all that capo use will trash your frets, but it will take a while.

Must be a long while; I've been using mine for years and have noticed no affect whatsoever. If anything, I'd imagine it would spread the wear out all over the neck, since I use it in so many different positions.

• Members

Must be a long while; I've been using mine for years and have noticed no affect whatsoever. If anything, I'd imagine it would spread the wear out all over the neck, since I use it in so many different positions.

+1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I typically only bring my main acoustic, but for the past 3-4 years, I've been tuning down a whole step for my acoustic shows. It definitely helps makes 3 hours of singing easier, and I like the way the acoustic sounds in this key - seems more resonant to me, but that could just be BS. I use a capo when necessary to bring anything back up that may need it. And I don't think most folks in the audience know (or care) that I'm tuned lower.

• Members

+1 on the Variax. I tend to think that the typical audience doesn't care what type of guitar you're playing, as long as it sounds pleasing. The current production Variax's acoustic models are pretty convincing (not necessarily perfect, but very sufficient for most gigging purposes), especially through an acoustic amp or PA, and you can change tunings on the fly, as well as switch between acoustic 6 and 12-string sounds. As an electric guitar, a Variax is also less physically demanding to play, if that's any benefit for you. I won't claim it's the same thing as an acoustic guitar, but from where the typical audience sits, I'm not sure it matters much.

• Members

Being the lone singer on 4-5 hr gigs, sometimes several nights in a row, my default is to tune down a half-step. It's amazing what a half-step can do for vocal stamina.

Right on. I do the same. But I also change the key of each song to accommodate my vocal sweet spot but still fall well on the guitar. It can take a bit longer to work up the song, but it is so worth it.

Archived