X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powerwerks PA question

I noticed some positive comments about the powerwerks PAs here. Aren't they all underpowered for use as a primary gigging PA? I don't know the first thing about wattage etc, I just know it's enough or not enough when i hear it.

Is the biggest PA (200 watts, right?) enough to use as a primary for a solo or duo? I'm not going to be playing a concert hall, but some of the bars and wineries aren't tiny andf there is usually quite an echo esp with people talking etc...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">The &quot;artist&quot; formerly known as RKO</div>

obviously 200 watts is going to limit the size of the places you play. But is it 200W total, per channel,...peak?
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Looks like I was wrong about 200watts. there is one model with a 100 watt amp and 2 speakers capable of carrying 50 watts each. the other is a single unit, like an L1 or soloamp that's 100 watts.

I don't actually see a 200 watt model on the website.

Wonder why they don't make something more powerful...
      <div class="signaturecontainer">The &quot;artist&quot; formerly known as RKO</div>

Comment

It'll depend on how loud you need to be, and if you can get the speaker up over the audience's heads (human bodies absorb sound). I do a lot of restaurants and indoor wineries, small private parties and weddings (that hold up to 100 people) w/ a single 50 watt "mini PA" (Crate Limo50) on a stand, but these're situations where you're not required to blast out anyone's hearing.

For loud, rowdy and/or larger gigs, 200watts is probably about the minimum.

When shopping for a sound system, buy for the largest gigs you can envision playing, as a powerful system can be turned down, but a small systen can only be cranked so far.
        God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

• RobtM
          RobtM commented
          Editing a comment

Power isn't the only issue here.  Yes, the PW100T has a 100w amp, 200w per pair.  But you can daisy chain any number of them, building a system that's totally scalable.  Multiple cabinets can be positioned to best coverage  BTW: I've done outdoor concerts with less.

The low power consumption CAN be a good thing.  Unless you're playing concert halls with wiring designed for heavy duty use, you'll probably be using standard 15 amp wall outlets.  The max that such a circuit can put out is 1,560 watts (15a x 110v).  A system with more wattage - a pair of QSC K12's, for example - pulls 2,000 watts.  You'd have to plug each speaker into a separate circuit (not just a separate outlet).  The new Mackie DLMs, at 4,000w per speaker, would require a power tap according to the company.  Plenty of power, yes, but you'd better have a sound man who's also a licensed electrician.

There's also the question of portability.  They're small and relatively light weight, making them ideal for solo or duet artists with small cars.  A pair could also be used as monitors (though you'd have to make an angled stand for them).

It also matters what kind of music you perform and how many performers there are.  The PW100Ts appear to be designed primarily for acoustic music.  They've gotten excellent reviews for guitar, violin and cello.  I'm not sure I'd choose them for a knock your socks off rock band.

Sounds very underpowered, and at that low price the sound quality must be terrible. I've used a single JBL eon 10 (60 watts) before for very small rooms which isn't bad for ac guitar and vocals. But very larger rooms it can only be used as a monitor.
        Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

Due to travelling by bus and train, I was forced to replace my BOSE L1 and ended up with a Yamaha DXR8, e small powered fellow loaded with 1100 W.

It is capable of playing loud, but I miss the BOSE soundwise. The yammie is Nice sounding, but it is something with the Line Array and dipersion that I miss...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wkendhacker
            View Post

I noticed some positive comments about the powerwerks PAs here. Aren't they all underpowered for use as a primary gigging PA? I don't know the first thing about wattage etc, I just know it's enough or not enough when i hear it.

Is the biggest PA (200 watts, right?) enough to use as a primary for a solo or duo? I'm not going to be playing a concert hall, but some of the bars and wineries aren't tiny andf there is usually quite an echo esp with people talking etc...

If you're going to "play out", you really do not want to get into this level of gear. This is stuff for kids to play with in the basement. If funds are tight, you'd probably be better off buying something more serious, in the "used" market.

Don't just take my word for it though,,,, go out and listen to some of this gear before taking the plunge. Take your time, and get to know a bit about the performance and limitations of the gear. Standing 4-feet away, and a three-minute audition listening to a CD,, is not a way to assess how the system performs.
            Veni, Vidi, Velcro;

(I came, I saw, I stuck around)

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Bajazz
              View Post

Due to travelling by bus and train, I was forced to replace my BOSE L1 and ended up with a Yamaha DXR8, e small powered fellow loaded with 1100 W.

It is capable of playing loud, but I miss the BOSE soundwise. The yammie is Nice sounding, but it is something with the Line Array and dipersion that I miss...

I thought the Bose L1 was easily portable? I've seen the Yamaha, it's like a foot square and 18" tall, so I guess that is smaller, but it must weigh ~30 lbs, and you still need a stand...and how does that 8" speaker handle 1100W?
              "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by wkendhacker
                View Post

Looks like I was wrong about 200watts. there is one model with a 100 watt amp and 2 speakers capable of carrying 50 watts each. the other is a single unit, like an L1 or soloamp that's 100 watts.

I don't actually see a 200 watt model on the website.

Wonder why they don't make something more powerful...

100W will work in some settings, but as mentioned regarding 200W, it will limit the rooms you can use it in. They make a 200W subwoofer so it looks like all their systems are woefully underpowered, and that is how they keep their prices so low. The one that runs 100W and looks like the Fishstick is $200, but you need to add their stand for another $70 (stands can be bought for a lot less)... if their 'system' info is right, you can link two of these together, and add the sub...and for ~750 you would have an 'adequate' system for small rooms...but for that $, you'd do better with that Yamaha DXR8 for ~$550 and a speaker stand (which can be found for under $50)...or a used Fishstick.

Comment

The PW100T is a line array type speaker system/PA and is 100 watts. However, it is highly recommended to use the PA112S 200 watt sub to get the full benefit of the system. The Powerwerks system is the same as the Kustom system that's sold in Europe.

I have yet to hear a bad review of the unit by anyone who is knowledgeable of the actual unit and has used the system as it's designed to be used.

<div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

200 watts into what? If it is into 8 ohms I would think that would be a lot of power. Correct?
                    NSA - The only government agency that actually listens to what you have to say.

Comment

• tlbonehead
                      tlbonehead commented
                      Editing a comment

Telecruiser wrote:
                      200 watts into what? If it is into 8 ohms I would think that would be a lot of power. Correct?

huh?

• RobtM
                      RobtM commented
                      Editing a comment

No, not really.  Even though that would probably work out to about 200w into 4 ohms (which seems to have become the new standard).  The QSC PLX-3102 for instance, has an RMS output of 1,000w into 4 ohms, 3,100w with both channels bridged.  Their RMX-5050 puts out 1,800w RMS / 5,000w bridged into 4 ohms.

Power is relative to 3 things:  1) the speakers you're driving [number, dispersion angles for the horns, and efficiency), 2) the size of the hall or area you're trying to cover - larger area obviously means more speakers for effective coverage, and 3) the dynamic range of the audio you're reproducing.

That said, I remember doing an outdoor stage at a county fair (lots of ambient noise) quite effectively with a Peavey 130w mono head and a pair of 4x12 columns (no horms).  This was in 1971 when high power amps weren't really available.  That same PA head and a pair of Peavey 110H box monitors did sound for the 3,000 seat Ocean State Theater around 1981.  And, paired with a couple Altec 210H monitors on stands, it was more than adequate for most of the gigs we were doing then - coffeehouses and church sanctuaries with 100-200 person capacity.

I've pretty much given up on the Powerwerks PW100Ts for mains though the portability is still very attractive.  The piezo tweeters are a definite red flag.  But as monitors, given an angled stand, they might be just the ticket for a small acoustic group.

The "Watts" in a powered speaker system doesn't really tell you anything. Well it does tell you how much heat is created, but what you want to know is how much sound is put out, right?

What you want to compare when looking at speakers is the "maxSPL" spec and it's very hard without being an engineer to actually get an apples-to-apples figure.

In any event, what you question "was is will this work for me?". And that all depends on what you intend to do. If you are gonna sing and play acoustic guitar at restaurant levels and indoors I would expect this would work fine. If you have drums and bass in the performance then I'd expect it to be about 1/4th of how it would work in the first situation. There is also a quality component and I don't know what quality you expect. Distortion in speakers rises exponentially as the level goes up.
                    Don Boomer

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Telecruiser
                      View Post

According to the manuals the head is 100 watts into 4 ohms. The sub is 200 watts into 8 ohms.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">Still Kickin' cancer's ass....<br><br><a target="_blank" href="http://www.bwsvw.org">Blue Water Sailors of the Vietnam War</a><br><br>HCGB Trooper #246<br><br>Psalm 19 Society<br><br><div class="bbcode_quote"><br><div class="quote_container"><br><div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div><br><br>I can't really imagine experiencing the desire for multiple women; one has proven to be taxing enough as it is.<br><br></div><br></div><br></div>Thanks Offy

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by daddymack
                        View Post

I thought the Bose L1 was easily portable? I've seen the Yamaha, it's like a foot square and 18" tall, so I guess that is smaller, but it must weigh ~30 lbs, and you still need a stand...and how does that 8" speaker handle 1100W?

The L1 is portable, but with 2 subs, 2 poles and the main unit, it's much more items to haul than the Yammie.

For the size, the 8" speaker makes a lot of noise. It's rated at 131db/1m so for 100 ppl, and testing it in practical use I found it to be OK. Got the punch but not the dispersion and clean even sound of the L1, although some would disagree. And yes, I know that watts isn't the final specs, but nor is db spl. Specs lives it's own life paralell to practical use.

I tried a lot of things when I was searching for a micro PA, and ended up with the DXR8.

Comment

And oh, beer crates makes nice speaker stands!

Comment

Working...
                          X