Do you have a Go Bag?

Shaster

• Members

Over the years I've had a number of calls from my agent for last minute gigs. This month I've already had two. The last call I got was at 1745h for a gig that started at 1700h. I already had a gig that started at 2100h, so I had to reconfigure my gear list, find appropriate dress that would work for both gigs and boot it downtown.

I seem to recall discussing this in a previous thread but this is a bit of an update... I'm still working on a Go Bag (or two) that would serve my different gigs - solo, duo, band, and PA tech on briefcase gigs. This month I went and purchased over $500.00 worth of cables, pedals and so on, so I could have two or three separate systems ready to go - at the appropriate gear level. Being the guy who will answer his phone, and show up last minute to a gig has paid off in the past, so I figure I should continue down that road.

I know some folks have their gear ready to go, or maybe sitting in their car. Does it pay off for you? Any tales of last minute gig mania? On my last substitute gig, the hotel room manager yelled at me for being late! I firmly but politely set him straight.

• Members

We have only one situation, the duo, so it's easy.

All our gear is either (a) on the gig (b) in the van on the way to or from the gig or © locked up in a secure room of the house with the alarm set.

It's always all together, and it goes in the van the same way every time so it's easy to tell if I left something at the gig or not (plus we both do a double check before leaving).

I've minimized my gear through the years, so it gets easier and easier.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Moderators

discretion is the better part of a happy marriage...:cool03:

in answer to your question, though, no, not a separate 'go bag'; I have everything for my solo gig included within the 'rig'... cables [plus spares] in the fishstick coverbag, each floor pedal has its power supply and interface cables in its respective case. Mic/adapter/ also in the fishstick, Originally, before I reorganized, I did have a bag for the mic, cables cup holder, clipboard, etc., but it has been eliminated. I am still working on a new pedalboard, and now that I added the ditto, it will be a bit smaller, and will require its own custom case...time to dust off the table saw and router...

• Members

I applaud anyone who aggresively goes after gig-work. But,unless it pays really well...I am not sure it pays off. It certainly will make you a better performer. A Go-bag? I think you should always know what you need and have what it takes to deliver. Have backup gear..or a plan, at the very least. Me? I don't have an emergency-gig bag. I am in NY and leaving gear in the car isn't smart. And I've always felt...you should be able to make a gig happen with a minimum amount of gear.

• Members

Like Shaster I have different types of gigs that require different setups. I have one bag that's for old folks homes and this is the simplest setup. I have a much bigger bag that with more xlrs, extension cords, etc. that will handle most DJ gigs and solo bar gigs.

A 3rd bag has more of the same for when I need to set up more than one system (wedding ceremonies etc.). Right now I wouldn't be ready to just get in the van and go if I got a call for a gig tonight. Most of my equipment is in the house since the last two months have been lean gig wise. I shouldn't ever show up with anything missing now days, I've done that enough in the past!

• Members

Since every gig is different there really is no "standard" go bag.. However take it from a roadie, these are the things you need for every gig: Cables, Guitar, XLR ,1/4" patch, adapters to turn XLR into 1/4" plus I keep some RCA and mini patch, plus adapters like RCA to 1/4", just in case.

Tools. As a roadie there are two tools that are an absolute must. A Leatherman or Gerber multi tool, and a roll of Gaff Tape. Not Duct tape, real actual Gaff tape. With those two things I have pulled arena shows out of my ass minutes before house lights. Another good tool is a Guitar Multi-Tool, a few companies make them and they have every size screwdriver, and hex set you would need to fix a guitar, they also have them with string winders built in. Also a tuner and spare strings never hurts. I also keep microfiber cloths, a spare set of stage clothes, and a spare SM58.. All this stuff will fit in a small gym bag and can save your ass in a pinch..

• Moderators
A Leatherman or Gerber multi tool
experience, at least for me, has determined that these are the wrong tool for any occasion; I prefer to carry some actual needlenose pliers, a wire stripper/cutter and a small pocket knife rather than those Brookstone/Sharper Image money suckers...YMMV. Other than that, you're list is pretty much right. Also good to have: a multi-tip/multi-voltage DCV wallwart, some AA/AAA/9v/3025 batteries, a small flash light [preferably with a magnetic base], a VOM and spare tubes if you use a tube amp. I used to also bring a soldering iron, but that just became too much.

• Members

OK I can compromise on that one. My situation is a bit different though, I know it's almost always the "wrong" tool, but when you are climbing up a truss 10 minutes before an arena show, there is no way to carry everything you need. Not to mention it's dangerous if you drop something. So I can usually fix whatever it is with my Leatherman and some Gaff, or at least make things functional so the gig can go off without a hitch.. Also, I know they are stupid expensive, I didn't even consider that since I usually get one as swag every few years. Once you go on the road there are a few things you will never have to buy again, flashlights, backpacks, leatherman, jackets and especially t-shirts... One year we(the tour) got 20 cases of Black Sharpies, still going through those :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived