Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Latin Band with Horns (Need suggestions)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Latin Band with Horns (Need suggestions)

OK, I need a few suggestions here (And if any of your suggestions can be found on iTunes...ALL THE BETTER).

I am in the process of writting a number of new tunes, and they are very Latin sounding. I wold like to add some good horns to them, but would like to listen to a few other bands to gain some fresh ideas.

Can anyone here recomend a few bands that with some GOOD latin horn sounds?

Most of the Latin music I listen to is Flamenco, and it is VERY guitar driven, and I really need something to inspire me that has a lot more horns.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome!!!
    DJ Breckheimer
    www.myspace.com/AcousticTones

Are you looking for like some good latin jazz? Thats actually what I am looking for. Something more jazz, with latin flavor... like Art Blakey's version of A Night In Tunisia. Someone had suggested Willie Bo Bo to me, but when I listed to his stuff it was too latin and not enough jazz for me.
    Personal Website: LANSTARR.COM * Band: DirtyBathWater.com

Comment

Actually, I've got Jazz commin' out of my ears. So I'm pretty much lookin' for the solid latin feel with some great horn arrangments.
      DJ Breckheimer

Comment

Lots of Tito Puente on iTunes. Don't get much more Latin/Salsa than that. Or if you'd prefer Cuban, Jane Bunnett and the Spirits of Havana. Or Mongo Santamaria.
        All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Comment

And, now that I think of it, you might want to check out some Soca music (there are two Soca samplers on iTunes: Soca 101 vols 1&2). Soca (SOul CAlypso) comes from a horn-heavy (in all senses) and very Latin-esque tradition and some of the newer stuff features synths covering what used to be the horn parts. Lots of rhythm loops to boot. Not to mention that most of it's just good fun.
          All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer (1788 - 1860)

Comment

Thanks guys. I know that a lot of the latin music out there has a TON of horns, but I know that a lot of people on here also have a wide range of suggestions as well. So any and all suggestions are welcome.
            DJ Breckheimer

Comment

Listen to "Malo" from the 70ies (the band of Carlos Santana

Comment

Cool, thanks.
                DJ Breckheimer

Comment

Watch/tape/TiVo "Sabado Gigante", the huge variety show. I don't remember if it's on Univision or Telemundo. I catch parts of it when I'm channel surfing on a Saturday night. There is always a great salsa band (or 2) with a hot horn section that will give you some ideas.

Comment

For some elemental brass albums:

Gaucho - Steely Dan
                    The Lonely Bull - Tijuana Brass
                    I am ...
                    Words with no voice
                    Vision with no eyes
                    Love with no heart
                    Perfect, if only I didn't exist

Comment

-Cubanismo!
                      "Take two and butter'em while they're hot."
                      - fatherly advice re dinner rolls

Brian

Comment

Just find a band who does a good rendition of "Sun Cat". That was my favorite tune from Jazz Band. So rhythmic. Very hot.

Comment

Los Lobos. Particularly 'Colossal Head' has some great brass.

I find it hard not to be inspired by Senor Coconut.

Comment

Originally posted by Doug Gifford
                            And, now that I think of it, you might want to check out some Soca music (there are two Soca samplers on iTunes: Soca 101 vols 1&2). Soca (SOul CAlypso) comes from a horn-heavy (in all senses) and very Latin-esque tradition and some of the newer stuff features synths covering what used to be the horn parts. Lots of rhythm loops to boot. Not to mention that most of it's just good fun.

Remember that Soca and Latin music have some simialarites but are entirely different music. Soca is music form Trinidad, Antigua, Dominca, Saint Vincent etc... It is great music.
                            "Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

Comment

Juan de Marcos' Afro Cuban All Stars for a traditional approach.

Eddie Palmieri for a more jazz influenced sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X