Rock n Roll Hall of Fame: Mecca or meh?

Plink Floyd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is most DEFINITELY worth it. It is not all inclusive however - there are MANY important artists missing still. But what is there is awesome and well done. You really need more than a day to do it right. Although some get in and out in a few hours and feel satisfied. Not me.

• Members

The wanderlust is upon my clan. Is the RRHOF worth a four hour drive? I think I could skip it, but my 15 year old shredder lobbies mightily. I think I'd prefer the Henry Ford/Edison museum, but we may roll both into one trip.

I'll probably never live to see either, so I say go to both.

• Members

One sales strategy of the music industry is to give the product an air of 'importance' and 'mythical status' in order to extend sales past the usual 17 weeks. The country music branch of the industry is brilliant at this and the pop branch (rock & roll subsection) has noticed.

MEH

[video=youtube;zlSLQO5mU-w]

• Members

I fall on the Doug Gifford side of the coin and agree with the "mystique" factor that the music business tries to use to sell product and I am also "meh" over "Hall of Fame" for whatever. However, if your kid is into it and the trip would make for a good family activity then I am all for it. The "aspie" in me says that engaging in such family activities are part of the work I signed up for when I signed up to be a dad. I get my enjoyment from spending time with my family and watching my wife and kids having fun, not necessarily from the specific activity itself.

For me personally the fact that I would have to drive for four hours for just one (or even two) things to do scratches the activity off the possible list of things to do. I hate driving long distances, and will do so only if I am going to be engaged essentially for an entire week. Also my younger kids still do not travel well, even for trips lasting about 2-3 hours. Last summer we took a very short trip to Duluth for 5 days to stay at a water park hotel and visit all sorts of interesting spots within about a 50 mile radius. I had to pull over and sit for 15 minutes on the way home (only about 2.5 hour drive) to wait for a temper tantrum my daughter was having to dissipate.

• Members

It's an interesting building designed by I. M. Pei, dude who did the Louvre addition. It's not that big surprisingly. Yeah, it's worth a visit. When I went they had the Sgt Pepper costumes. Those were skinny fellas! It's on the lake and there is a nice view all around. If it were me I'd combine it with a trip to the Cleveland Museum of Art or catch a show at Playhouse Square, lots happening there.

The inductees for the RHOF are a whole 'nother sad story, but I digress. I played in the band for the 2009 ceremony, one of the most awesome gigs I've ever done.

• Members

Never been to the R&RHOF, but I agree with Gribs that if kids are into it, it's worthwhile for that reason alone.

On the other hand, I've been to Henry Ford Museum and Greenfield Village a number of times, and it ranks very high on my scale. If you're even a tiny bit into trains, it's not to be missed. While many find the farm implement historical exhibit a snooze, I think it's fascinating, to see every tiny engineering advance from the hand hoe to a modern combine. Any kids under age 99 would love the car exhibits. Did I mention steam engines? oh my. Sorry, I'm an engineering nerd, but really ... it's a great museum. Really: top notch, from either scholarly or everyday joe point of view.

Greenfield village is probably more interesting to a wider variety of people, especially kids. Either HFM or GV is worth a full day, but it's nice to do both in one visit too. As variable as MI weather is, I'd buy the full pass and go to the village when it's nice out & head for the museum if clouds roll in.

I wouldn't R&RHOF and HFM/GV into a day trip, since they're 3 hours apart.

Another thing in the Cleveland area that's definitely worth a visit: Cedar Point!

• Members

It really should be called the Cleveland Rock and Pop Music Museum. Remove the ridiculous idea that you can have a Hall of Fame for something subjective like art. Can you imagine if someone started the Painting Hall of Fame? They'd be laughed at for the rest of their life for coming up with such a silly idea.

• Members

I'd be interested to see it, although it's not likely I ever will. I was disappointed when they chose the location for the museum. I'm absolutely not saying anything negative about Cleveland as a city, it's just that from a purely logistical standpoint, a lot of people will miss out on seeing the museum. Most people from the US and other countries at some point visit New York or LA and it seems like those would have been a more logical choices. I've lived in the midwest and can appreciate that people in that area must be thrilled and proud to have the distinction of having the museum there, but it just seems like a limiting factor in terms of wider attendance and accessibility. Although I'm sure that if I lived there, I'd be very happy that my area was chosen for that honor.

• Members

Thanks for all of your thoughts. As expected, they run the gamut. Like most of you, I don't care about the self appointed body of experts who arbitrarily award fame. I'll make up my own mind about that, thank you very much. But I think my family (and even me) would enjoy some of the exibits. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the Henry Ford more, but, maybe I'll be surprised. We plan on three or four days to see both spots.

If it were me I'd combine it with a trip to the Cleveland Museum of Art or catch a show at Playhouse Square, lots happening there.

Any chance of catching a Cygnus performance?

• Members

Thanks for all of your thoughts. As expected, they run the gamut. Like most of you, I don't care about the self appointed body of experts who arbitrarily award fame. I'll make up my own mind about that, thank you very much. But I think my family (and even me) would enjoy some of the exibits. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy the Henry Ford more, but, maybe I'll be surprised. We plan on three or four days to see both spots.

Any chance of catching a Cygnus performance?

It depends on when your trip is, I have a zillion gigs coming up.:thu: If I'm in town I'll try to say howdy.

I was disappointed when they chose the location for the museum. I'm absolutely not saying anything negative about Cleveland as a city, it's just that from a purely logistical standpoint, a lot of people will miss out on seeing the museum. Most people from the US and other countries at some point visit New York or LA and it seems like those would have been a more logical choices. I've lived in the midwest and can appreciate that people in that area must be thrilled and proud to have the distinction of having the museum there, but it just seems like a limiting factor in terms of wider attendance and accessibility. Although I'm sure that if I lived there, I'd be very happy that my area was chosen for that honor.

From the Rock Hall, one can walk about 10 blocks to Playhouse Square. There is a plaque outside one of the buildings, in honor of the words that were spoken for the first time at the radio station previously in that building: "Rock and Roll". :thu:

Historically, there are many reasons in addition that Cleveland is where the rock hall belongs. Museums are about history after all, and the history of Rock is Cleveland: the Moondog Coronation Ball was THE first rock concert.

Alan Freed, WMMS radio (home of the Buzzard:cool:), the Agora, Richfield Coliseum. Cleveland was the shiznit. L.A. is for yuppie quiche-eaters, NYC can keep their Wall Street snobs: Cleveland is blue collar and proud of it.

Some Canadian band put out an album and nobody bought it or played it. Someone at WMMS radio loved the album and added "Working Man" to their regular playlist. RUSH was born in Cleveland, baby.:cool::lol:

• Members

:thu: I'll have to watch "American Hot Wax" again. I'll tell my son it's a prerequisit.

I'm thinking Halloween weekend is when we're coming.

Car travel with kids: I've been pretty successful, even on all day rides. We never let our kids watch all the TV they wanted, so when travel time is here, I set up the DVD player & headphone splitters in the car and recind all mind rot restraints. Works like a charm: kids are hypnotized all day & P & M can actually talk for a few hours. And/or nap.

• Members

There are two world-class, must see destinations in Cleveland that will change your life and inspire your kids:

1. "A Christmas Story house". That's right, you heard right. It's the house. It's in a crummy 'hood. You can see the leg lamp. http://www.achristmasstoryhouse.com/

2. The Free Stamp. It's like the Statue of Liberty, except it's a big stamp. It says "free". Why? Nobody knows. It's near the RH. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willard_Park_(Cleveland_park)

• Members

It really should be called the Cleveland Rock and Pop Music Museum. Remove the ridiculous idea that you can have a Hall of Fame for something subjective like art. Can you imagine if someone started the Painting Hall of Fame? They'd be laughed at for the rest of their life for coming up with such a silly idea.

Wow, that is an EXCELLENT point; never thought of it like that. Anyways, I live 20 minutes from it and it sat there for 15 years before I finally went (well, my old wedding band played a private gig there a while back but we didn't go in past the lobby; doesn't count). I'd say it would be worth the drive. I'd also HIGHLY recomment Cleveland's Little Italy if you like to enjoy good food (Trattoria's on the Hill is my favorite). There's a lot of c(rap) in the Rock Hall to be sure, but to see some of the stuff that was actually touched/used/played by someone who may or may not be one of your favorite musicians, yeah. For example, I was pretty impressed looking at little things like the hand-scribbled lyrics to "Walk This Way". And the Genesis case with Tony's Pro-Soloist, Mike's dounble-neck Rickenbacker and Pete's Rael jacket... I gotta confess, may have gotten me a little teary-eyed.

Finally, I picked up come cool coasters for beers in the man-cave! :thu:

• Members

Greenfield village is probably more interesting to a wider variety of people, especially kids. Either HFM or GV is worth a full day, but it's nice to do both in one visit too. As variable as MI weather is, I'd buy the full pass and go to the village when it's nice out & head for the museum if clouds roll in.

Those both sound like they would be more interesting to everyone in my family, from age 5 to age 46. Wife and I both love history, our 13-year old is into history and engineering stuff, and the younger kids like machinery of any kind, especially trains.

When we go on a family vacation or even when taking day trips at home, we do one place per day and only a few hours. Everyone gets wiped after that. Then we go sit down, relax, have some food, and maybe take a snooze for a while. On away trips the afternoon times are spent at the pool or water park, then more eating and relaxing. Kids get burned out really fast.

• Members

There are actually two parts to it: The museum is the main place. There is a separate area in the building that is the "Hall of Fame". There is also another new building at the Community college that has a library and archives, it's not open yet. I do agree with you, "Hall of Fame" for rock is silly, but it's a museum first and hall of fame second.

Archived