Rock n Roll Hall of Fame: Mecca or meh?

Plink Floyd

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I lived in Cleveland from 1991 - 2001 and was peripherally involved with the opening of the RRHOF. I have been through it twice, when friends were in town and will echo what others have said - if you really want to see everything it takes at least an entire day or more.

Frankly, I have never been into it that much, but then again I am not a person who is easily into "stuff." If you're into seeing "stuff" then you might ooh and aah over a George Harrison handwritten lyric sheet or Janis Joplin's car. If you're into the historical aspects of popular music, tracing its roots, etc., then the RRHOF is a gold mine.

The architecture of the museum and lakefront location make it a worthy destination as well.

In addition to 1991 - 2001, I lived in the Cleveland area for another six year period (went to high school there) and have a great love for the city.

• Members

Oh. Look at that.
:lol:
Thanks Cygnus, I had no idea! (This is what I get for trying to be a smartass.)
I can't imagine WHY I might ever be in Cincinnati
, but I'll have to check it out if I am!

Your imagination is acquiring rust. They don't call it 'Sin City' and 'The Nasty Nati' for nothing!

• Members
There is. Seriously, there is.
:lol:
It's in Cincinnati.
http://www.americanclassicalmusic.org/web/home.aspx

What do you know about that? It is a hall of fame for "American" classical music, which means "United States of American" only and not all of N and S America.

I skimmed through the list of inductees. Apparently one has only to have lived in the USA and worked on music while doing so in order to be eligible. Was Antonin Dvorak *really* an "American" composer? I suppose there are arguments both ways, but he is one of my favorite composers in general. I think it is sort of funny that two of inductees from the relatively short list of ensembles inducted are from Ohio. I don't disagree that both belong there, but it is also surprising that some other ensembles like Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra are not there. Perhaps I am just showing a bias towards my own home town... though I am certainly not biased enough to want to live there.

Pardon the derailment...

• Members
These your digs, Cyg?

My place is way smaller, but our neighborhood is waaaaaaay better.:lol:

it is also surprising that some other ensembles like Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra are not there. .

RPO= the Geddy Lee of the Classical Hall Of Fame.:lol:

I'm guessing that some of the inductees haven't even heard of it.:lol: It's apparently a picture gallery in the concert hall. Of course the Cincy symphony is there: it's like when you're a kid and that weird neighbor boy owns the hockey equipment, so you let him play with you so you can use his stuff.:lol:

• Members
A few questions:

- What are the gun laws in Ohio? Can we bring our Red Ryders?

Yup, they changed today. http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2011/09/ohio-bars-open-doors-today-to-gun-owners/

- Will the flagpoles be dangerous in November?

It's supposed to snow tomorrow.:lol:

- Is there a monument to Harvey Pekar?

It's coming. http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2011/07/22/pic-of-the-day-harvey-pekar-statue-planned

• Members

I have lived in the northeast Ohio area my whole life, and have never been to the Rock Hall, but do plan on it someday. For those of you talking abiut making the journey, there's plenty of other things to see and do here, and I suspect that's true of most places to live. We have the lake, a wonderful park system, the Cuyahoga Valley National park, some crappy ski areas, a nice change of seasons, rolling farmland (where I live), Cedar Point, the Lake Erie Islands, an incredible orchestra and art museum.

I was angry when they built the RRHOF, not that they built it in Cleveland, but rather WHERE they put it in Cleveland. On valuable lakefront property. I should have been in an area called 'The Flats' in my opinion. Rock 'n Roll is music for the masses, the common folk. The Flats was (at that time) an area of music venues and bars, with an active night life, near the mouth of the Cuyahoga river. An area where I had played in a few bands over the years. Seemed a good fit in my opinion for the Rock Hall. A warehouse type building converted to a museum on the banks of the Cuyahoga, rather than a shiny glass modern structure on the shore of a lake that could have been more of a park or something that took better advantage of the Lake Erie setting.

Just my opinion, and has nothing at all to do with the Rock Hall itself. If any of you plan on the trip, feel free to PM and I'll be happy to help you with an agenda of other things to see here.

• Members

Very good point on the flats vs. the lakefront. Ahhh, the flats... in '88/'89. Saw Trevor Rabin's solo tour at Peabody's... I think my ears are still ringing from that. Also opened for Steve Morse there with an original project we had at the time. Great fun.

• Members

I was angry when they built the RRHOF, not that they built it in Cleveland, but rather WHERE they put it in Cleveland. On valuable lakefront property. I should have been in an area called 'The Flats' in my opinion. Rock 'n Roll is music for the masses, the common folk. The Flats was (at that time) an area of music venues and bars, with an active night life, near the mouth of the Cuyahoga river. An area where I had played in a few bands over the years. Seemed a good fit in my opinion for the Rock Hall. A warehouse type building converted to a museum on the banks of the Cuyahoga, rather than a shiny glass modern structure on the shore of a lake that could have been more of a park or something that took better advantage of the Lake Erie setting.

In hindsight, they may have made the correct choice. The Flats basically shut down in 2000 due to the three drowning deaths and all the crime down there. It's the huge problem with Cleveland: finding somewhere that is actually safe to build something. PLayhouse Sq has had a ton of crime, most of it under-reported. Where it is, the Rock Hall is a lot safer than the Flats.

• Members

I was in Cleveland on business about a year ago and was able to visit the museum after work. IMHO it is a must-see if you're in the area. The exhibits are all very interesting and the headsets provide a lot of background information so that even a jaded old fool like me was interested and impressed with all the memorabilia. My two favorite exhibits are the exhibit of costumes - many of which you will recognize from 80's videos - and the short documentary film they made for the museum about the inspiration for some of the most popular rock songs. Also, if you love the Talking Heads, they have the More Songs About Buildings and Food album photo collage cover art right as you walk in - it's very big and mondo cool, and one of my favorite album covers of all-time. It is a bit commercial when you finish walking through the exhibits, but that's how all museum's are set up. It's probably one of the better (and only) music retailers that's left in the area.

I give the museum four and a half out of five stars. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A few years back my wife decided that we were going to her family reunion. Unfortunately I live in upstate NY and her family is in Cherokee, Iowa. For those not knowing, its a long 2 day drive. The conditions that we agreed on were a night in Chicago and a stop at the RRHOF. Had a great night at Buddy Guy's place and headed home. Stopped at the HOF and spent a good 4 hours wandering around. I have to say that it was amazing to stand there and look at the original hand written notes for what turned into "Stairway to heaven." The only really negative thing I had happen while there was to turn a corner not paying attention and banged my knee hard on the bumper of Janis Joplin's VW. I enjoyed it and would go back. Your mileage may vary!

Archived