Rock n Roll Hall of Fame: Mecca or meh?

Plink Floyd

• Members

Your imagination is acquiring rust. They don't call it 'Sin City' and 'The Nasty Nati' for nothing!

When I was about 6, a family with a kid my age moved in next door to us in Saginaw Michigan. That kid was a nuisance, always talking about back in Cincinatti this, back in cincinatti that, as though Saginaw was a turd pile.

Many years later, when I did finally visit Cincinatti, I found that the little {censored} was right. Saginaw is a turd pile!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, Ima see it. We'll have a minimum of two days to bask in the splendor that is Cleveland. Supposing that we tire of Rock & Roll famery in that time, these additional attractions that have been suggested are of interest:

- The Christmas Story house. The kids are adamant about seeing this. (OK, me too a little).

- Cleveland Museum of Art. I dunno, I'm pretty lowbrow. Do they have a room dedicated to R. Crumb?

- Playhouse Square Looks like fun. The week after we're there is Aretha! But we get Tony Bennett.

So, any other suggestions, hopefully teen-centric? How about good music stores near downtown? For that matter, I may return via Ft. Wayne to visit Sweetwater again. Anything of interest in Toledo?

• Members
So, any other suggestions, hopefully teen-centric?

West Side Market. I don't know how teen-centric it is, except that there's good eats everywhere.
http://www.westsidemarket.org/

How about good music stores near downtown?

There's a Sam Ash and a Guitar Center (one block away from each other) in a suburb called Mayfield, about a 20 minute drive from Downtown.

I don't have kids so I don't know that scene. When I was a teen I loved smoking pot. I'm sure you can find some in East Cleveland.:lol:

The BIG thing in NE Ohio is "Haunted Houses", i.e. the kind where actors run around and scare people. There are an insane amount. If that would appeal to kids, pick up a "Scene Magazine" in town and they will have a million.

On the same night as Tony Bennett, Quicken Loans Arena has the Cleveland Crush, part of the Lingerie Football League. The teens might like that better than Tony Bennett. Tony Bennett might like that better than Tony Bennett.:lol: There is also Hockey the night before. It's a nice arena.

There's a place downtown called Tower City. It's a mall of sorts with a few nice restaurants and a movieplex. WARNING: Cleveland is a tough city. There is severe crime. There will be scofflaws and scroundrels in Tower City. It's not horrible, it's probably fine at most times but there can be problems down there. Ditto for Playhouse SQ, where my car was stolen during a "Nutcracker" show.:mad:
http://www.towercitycenter.com/ It should be fine though, caveat emptor. I've been there too many times to count and never had a problem. Food court for the kids, Hard Rock for parents.

Cleveland has one of the finest park systems in the world. It's called Metroparks: http://www.clemetparks.com/ Hiking trails, events, a zoo, hayrides, all kinds of stuff. It's also peak time to see it with the leaves and all, assuming the snow holds off.

There is also "Amish Country". http://www.visitamishcountry.com/

Cleveland Museum of Art. I dunno, I'm pretty lowbrow.

It's oldskool for sure. The area it is in "University Circle" is the primo neighborhood in Cleveland. CIM, Art Museum, Severance Hall, Case Western (which has a Gehry building), all that stuff is in one area. http://www.universitycircle.org/

Alas, the only thing Cleveland doesn't have around that time is Cygnus, I'll be in Pittsburgh.:cry:

• Members

All good suggestions. I'll add the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, between Akron and Cleveland. There's hiking, biking, restaurants, and a cool passenger railroad that runs through it, with multiple stops along the route. Also the Lake Erie Islands with ferry service, about an hour west of Cleveland, but that season is fast drawing to a close. If Cedar Point is still open, it's quite an amusement park, also west of Cleveland, about halfway to Toledo. Lots to do there for all ages, and one of the best amusement parks in the world.

• Members

If Cedar Point is still open, .

It will be on the weekends, they have some sort of "spooky weekend" stuff.

I'll add the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, between Akron and Cleveland.

This is where the Blossom Music Center is, an amazing outdoor venue. Too bad that it's assumedly closed up, it's a summer venue.

Here's a link to the local "Scene" magazine, it will have specifics as to what is going on. http://www.clevescene.com/

• Members

Wow, Cygnus, you're the best travel agent I've ever had! Thanks for going to all this trouble. :thu:

I don't have kids so I don't know that scene. When I was a teen I loved smoking pot. I'm sure you can find some in East Cleveland.

Ahem, er, as a Dad, I wouldn't know anything about that, uh... :fidget:

Cleveland Crush, part of the Lingerie Football League

:eek: Wow. I had no idea... I've never been a sports fan, but, yeah, wow. But since half my contingent will be wimminz, I doubt if it will make the agenda. Pity.

No Cygnus, I'll be in Pittsburgh.

More's the pity. But maybe just as well, we probably would've gotten into trouble. ;)

Thanks as well for the rest of the info, all! :thu:

• 11 months later...
  • Members

So yeah, I had a great time at the museum, well worth the visit. I saw all I wanted in one day, and didn't feel rushed.

Speaking of, here are the nominees for 2013:

Rush :lol:

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Chic

Deep Purple

Heart

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

Albert King

Kraftwerk

The Marvelettes

The Meters

Randy Newman

N.W.A

Procol Harum

Public Enemy

Donna Summer

Some pretty good ones for a change, I thought. Not that it matters...

• Members

How is it that Rush isn't already in there??

It is a head scratcher but after seeing the complete {censored} that IS in the HofF, I wouldn't be too upset if I were them. It's not all good company. Plus, you did see the picture of ALL of the synthesizers there that I took a couple years ago when I was there, right? I was able to fit them all in one picture but had to sneak the pic with my cell phone. I'll dig it up if you haven't.

• Members

As of 2 or 3 years ago, here's ALL of the synthesizers at the Rock and Roll H of F. Bonus points if you spot the error in one of the pics.

Moog Liberator. :lol:

I was about to snap a pic of the same item when the pic nazis stopped me. I had no idea pics were prohibited. What is the logic behind that, anyway? Are they afraid people will say "oh I saw pics of that stuff on the internet so I'm certainly not going to pay to see it in person now".

And as of about a year ago, they didn't have many more synths than when you visited. There was Tony Bank's Arp Pro Soloist. And the Mellotron II that the Beatles used for Strawberry Fields. Not a true synth but pretty cool anyway. Here is a pic of it that was not taken by me:

f846964f06309a26882fc43e78d3b9d1.jpg

• Members

Moog
Liberator
:lol:

I was about to snap a pic of the same item when the pic nazis stopped me. I had no idea pics were prohibited. What is the logic behind that, anyway?

Because if you snap your own pics, you won't buy their $40 book which is just pictures of SOME of the stuff there. I got yelled at for taking pictures of the Pink Floyd's The Wall stuff which are freely visible to the people that haven't even paid yet.

• Members
They're a love-em-or-hate-em type of band with a huge cult following. Of course, you can say that about the Grateful Dead, which got inducted in 1994.
:idk:

It took Jon Lord dying to get Deep Purple a HoF nomination.
:facepalm:
I'm going to guess that Rush and Deep Purple are shoe-ins out of that list though.

Alice got inducted in 2011.
:thu:

Oh, good! Now, what's their excuse for no Jethro Tull? Yet the Beastie Boys are in? Ridiculous.

• Members

I do like me some Rush.
:love:

But I really, really, REALLY don't like the Dead.
:cry:

Right there with you. I have only had a couple of Rush albums/CDs over the years, but I have always enjoyed seeing them live. I've probably been to more than ten Rush concerts over the years.

The Dead? Ugh. My work took me to a half dozen Dead shows back in the day, and I just couldn't get into it, ever. Maybe it would have been different if I'd been barefoot, unbathed, and totally wasted. But I wasn't.

• Members
I do like me some Rush.
:love:

But I really, really, REALLY don't like the Dead.
:cry:

Right there with you. I have only had a couple of Rush albums/CDs over the years, but I have always enjoyed seeing them live. I've probably been to more than ten Rush concerts over the years.

The Dead? Ugh. My work took me to a half dozen Dead shows back in the day, and I just couldn't get into it, ever. Maybe it would have been different if I'd been barefoot, unbathed, and totally wasted. But I wasn't.

Archived