If Apple made a piano...

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quote Originally Posted by Bucksstudent
    View Post

Then there will be an 80's synth revival, but with hipsters.

This is old but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xzocvh60xBU

...WE ALL PLAY SYNTH!
    http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by McHale
      View Post

If they made an iPiano, millions of hipsters would automatically think they are the best and the smartest musicians anywhere and would claim any other keyboard instrument stole from Apple.

AND IT WOULD SUCK. And we'd be stuck with this **************** on the radio 24/7:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uPH6BK6DMI

But since Steve Jobs is dead, it won't happen. All vision and major stealing died along with Steve.

Wow, they made the ****************ing Black Eyed Peas sound good. I thought that was impossible. Mazel Tov!
      http://soundcloud.com/liliththekitten

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by boomboomdrums
        View Post

Not so fast. My wife works for a cell phone company and she brought home a small tablet, about 4" x 6" a few months ago. Yesterday I heard on TV, that Apple is coming out with an IPad mini.

To be fair, the iPad mini has been in the works for a while. I think Apple has timed their product release dates according to a well-planned strategy. Jobs might be gone, but companies like Apple tend to develop a "DNA" that lasts. Our last CEO used to use the word "3M antibodies" when he found himself at odds with the established DNA. This is sort of humorous, but it is also the sort of culture that prevents companies from driving off cliffs and makes them a good investment for long-term "value" investors. I think that Apple is in an interesting and difficult spot right now. It broke the curve in terms of growth - pretty much at a rate considered unsustainable in the long term. The question in my mind is whether they can continue to deliver products that keep the company's value going. I honestly hope so.
        Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

G.H. Hardy in A Mathematician's Apology (London 1941).

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Gribs
          View Post

Bernard I showed my wife the photo above and asked her "do you know who that is?" and she guessed "Captain Kirk?" The Captain Kirk avatar wins over young Steve!

As I look more like my Av than young Steve, I can confirm your wife has impeccable taste... LOL
          世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

if Apple made a piano all the windows fanboys would spam the net with posts how their selfbuild pianos sound so much better and only cost a fraction of the price.
            the difference between theory and practice is that in theory there is no difference
            Album out now! http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/cosmicpassenger
            http://www.vimeo.com/user772171/videos

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wu
              View Post

if Apple made a piano all the windows fanboys would spam the net with posts how their selfbuild pianos sound so much better and only cost a fraction of the price.

Gribs

...Music can be used to stimulate mass emotion, while mathematics cannot; and musical incapacity is recognized (no doubt rightly) as mildly discreditable, whereas most people are so frightened of the name of mathematics that they are ready, quite unaffectedly, to exaggerate their own mathematical stupidity.

Comment

View Post

it's is believed that Apple will start to fall. IMHO, it can't come soon enough.

-Mc

I'm far from an Apple fanboi, but why would you want a successful company to fail? Surely the American economy needs growth and success, not failure?
                Maybe forgiveness is right where you fell...

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BonsoWonderDog
                  View Post

I'm far from an Apple fanboi, but why would you want a successful company to fail? Surely the American economy needs growth and success, not failure?

Failure is important to ensure a strong economy... I am not joking... And, not talking about Apple ;-)
                  世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

I'm sure Apple will trot along way past its expiration date... kind of like IBM.

Dr. Wu is right, by the way, and you know it.
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/christianschulze

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by BonsoWonderDog
                      View Post

1. They are the WORST American company currently in existence. ALL of their manufacturing is where? Oh yah, China made by underpaid children (and adults too...).

2. Though they have more money than our government or ANY company in the US, they make huge demands for VERY huge tax breaks before they will open a new branch of facility... because they need it obviously.

3. The vast majority of their good ideas were stolen by the biggest corporate douchebag in the tech world. Then they have the balls to proclaim they were THEIR ideas and sue those they stole the ideas from.

4. I've supported PC's for a living for many, many years and the Apple "enthusiasts" consider themselves better and smarter than anyone else... and they are usually the most clueless.

5. I could go on but I'm good enough with 1 thru 4.
                      Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

Apple culture is kind of annoying -- especially what you see in an Apple Store in a high tech yuppie city like Austin.

I'm neither a cheerleader nor a hater of Apple products themselves (some things I like, some I don't), but as a company they are turning into the next Microsoft -- or maybe worse in the end.

One thing to remember when considering Steve Jobs's now much talked about meeting with President Obama ("Those jobs are never coming back"), is that Apple *could* remain a very profitable company while paying American workers a decent wage to build their products. The profit margin they're seeing from the sale of their products is actually beyond industry norms. The difference here is between being a very successful company and an OBSCENELY RICH one. Apple chose the latter course, and so they stay with Foxconn which pays their workers about $18 a day. But there IS no real determinism in this -- i.e. it doesn't HAVE to be this way -- and Jobs was disingenuous to insinuate that it does.

I always laugh when people these days like to cite Adam Smith (the "invisible hand") and try to suggest that capital moves overseas as if by its own power, automatically. No. It's a product of choice.

It all boils down to what you value most. And let's face it, lately a lot of people value money over EVERYTHING else. In modern corporate culture, "virtuous" behavior is that which brings profits. Period. The human cost doesn't even enter into it.

As for their products, my biggest gripe would be iTunes (it's just terrible software), and in general the way Apple tries to control the user experience of their products.
                        Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by zoink
                          View Post

...they are turning into the next Microsoft -- or maybe worse in the end.

I don't see how being like Microsoft is a bad thing, but Apple is 10 times worse than Microsoft in every possible way.

Take a look at the Bill Gates foundation and see what he (and they) are doing. Then read about how big of a D-bag Steve Jobs was to his kids, his family, as well as his workers. Tack on the OWS morons that were against evil corporate greed while carrying all these freaking iDevices. They are the dumbest of them all...
                          Response from John from American Musical Supply on why I have received 2 used/damaged Korg M3's and 1 reboxed M3 from Guitar Center (a.k.a. why I'll never buy from AMS again): Footfall wrote:What you're experiencing with these units is the result of our warehouse crew intentionally "overpacking" this product.Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, nanoPAD 2

Comment

View Post

I don't see how being like Microsoft is a bad thing, but Apple is 10 times worse than Microsoft in every possible way.

Take a look at the Bill Gates foundation and see what he (and they) are doing. Then read about how big of a D-bag Steve Jobs was to his kids, his family, as well as his workers. Tack on the OWS morons that were against evil corporate greed while carrying all these freaking iDevices. They are the dumbest of them all...

You have to separate what Microsoft is/was as a company from what Bill Gates is doing now, post Microsoft, to really see them in realistic perspective -- much as you'd separate Andrew Carnegie the ruthless robber baron (even complicit in murder -- see Homestead Strike, 1892) from the philanthropist of later life.

Microsoft engaged in anti-competitive business practices, and got away with it for a longer period, than any other technology company I can think of. They basically forced everyone else out of the PC OS market by making hardware manufacturers license Windows for EVERY machine they sold, making it cost prohibitive for hardware producers to offer any other alternatives. Any other good idea that Microsoft couldn't copy (poorly) and get away with they simply bought -- going back to DOS itself, FrontPage, WebTV, Hotmail, Internet Explorer, Visio, the list goes on. In many cases they'd buy an idea just so they could bundle it with their other offerings and wipe out the competition. Hell, they even worked WITH the Chinese government to promote internet censorship in China.

I could go on: their oppressive business software licensing practices; the things they did to try and corner the browser market with Internet Exploder (sic); etc.

It's well known that Microsoft in MANY ways abused what amounted to a monopoly in the PC operating system market -- and they got away with it because it took years for the legislative process to come up with laws that really addressed or understood the implications of what they were doing.

I've had this conversation with people who finally, in the face of facts, brought out what they thought was their trump card in Microsoft's defense: "Well that's what you have to do to stay on top in business."

Maybe. But I wish more people (especially corporate types) would stop and think about the kind of world they're creating when they do this.
                            Kronos, Fant.G8, PC3X, K2500RS, A6, Q, M3-61, Fant.X7, Motif 8, EX5(x2), V-Synth, K2000(x2), D50, JD800, JD990, JP8080, XP30, MC909, MC505, JX-10, JX-305, TR-707, Juno 1, DR-202, Radias, Triton Pro, Wavest. SR, EMX1, ESX1, ER-1, EA-1, R3, Poly 800, RS7000, FS1R (x2), RM1X, AN200, DX200, QY70, QY100, K5000S, OB-12, Maschine,ASR10,ASR88,ASR-X Pro, EPS,Virus B, Equinox,E-Mu XL-7,MiniAK, Synthstation,X-Station, XioSynth,TG33,Venom,V50,UltraNova,Z1,Spark,Moog LP Stage II, JP8000,Tetra,Supernova 2.

Comment

My argument wouldn't be, "that what's you have to do to stay in business" at all. Far from it. In fact, take a look at Apple filing for patents on things they had NOTHING to do with then suing over them. In every country EXCEPT America, those frivolous lawsuits get tossed out. Here, because it's American company vs. foreign company, they win every time. Apple is BY FAR 10 times worse for this type of anti-competitive practice. They've stolen every good idea they've got. If Microsoft wanted Apple dead, that would have happened. Because Microsoft DIDN'T want to be the only OS in town, Bill gates personally saved Apple. Or did you forget that fact? Microsoft could kill Apple any time they wanted to by NOT offering their software for that platform. Think about how few Macs would get sold to business or schools if Office was no longer available for them. That's all it would take.

As far as Microsoft "making" manufacturers buy their OS, that's completely bull****************. It's called a licensing deal. Like Asus hardware but would like to run MacOS on it? Oh, that's right... Apple refuses to even license their software to anyone else so you are FORCED to buy their hardware if you want their software. THAT is anti-competitive business practices. The fact that Microsoft got sued because they bundle IE with Windows is laughable. Isn't Safari bundled with iOS? What Microsoft did goes on with every company out there NOW. Like baseball? Go to a ballpark and try to order a beer other than the one that got the deal. Same with hot dogs or pizza or... Or how about buying an HTC phone and getting iOS on it. Or a Motorola phone and get Windows Phone OS on it... As far as buying out company's to compete with other products, what planet are you living on? EVERY company does that. Why do you think Facebook bought Instagram? Why did Google buy Motorola?

Your anti-Microsoft arguments are void of reality, son. You're isolating Microsoft for doing what was done before them and has been done after them. If it WEREN'T for Microsoft, Apple would have been out of business around 1997, computers and software wouldn't be as advanced as it is today and there'd be no smartphones. We also wouldn't have many other products that aren't considered computers like synthesizers. There's a reason that Windows is STILL on over 90% of computers and Office is the #1 Office package out there. It's because there IS no competition for them. Sure, there are alternatives but they pale in comparison. That's not Microsoft's fault.

God Bless Bill gates. God Bless Microsoft.

AND GOD BLESS THE USA.

-Mc

Comment

It is interesting to me that economists and capitalists like to quote "Wealth of Nations" but never considering Adam Smith's book "Invisible Hand" or other writings concerning the morality of capitalism and how the purpose is to raise the standard of living for everyone in a nation. The moral model for capitalism in modern USA appears to me to be more like an Ayn Rand philosophy.

In the end, companies that are traded publically are beholden to their share holders. Control and philosophy of business practices come from the board of directors led by the CEO.

Apple is more a design, integrator, and marketing company than anything. It is not a manufacturing company at all, and that is why it relies on external companies to assemble its goods. It is important to note, in my opinion, that the components that go into those assemblies are sourced from and often even designed by outside suppliers. Manufacturing for the components can be done all over the world including in the USA. This is not an argument for Apple's OUS assembly methods but rather an attempt to point out that delivery of an iPad to your hands involves many businesses inside and outside the USA. Apple appears to be the evil empire, but the economic effect of Apple is far reaching and deep in the US economy. That is why I hope the company continues to succeed.

I am one of those guys who builds my own PC system from components and enjoys farting around with the OS and whatnot, and yes it is significantly cheaper to do it that way if you are willing to deal with windows or are a fan of Linux. You pay a premium of about 2X to buy into an Apple desktop that has the same performance. This is not fan boy speak, it is just the way things are. One reason why the Apples are so stable is that they do not have to design their software for any number of different hardware components. There is no competition in the marketplace among e.g. motherboard suppliers. If you are not a tech head then Apple is definitely the way to go, but if you are a hobbyist who wants to tinker it is not.
                                Gribs

Comment

Working...
                                X