If Apple made a piano...

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I skipped the majority of this thread, but suffice it to say; I've been in this industry since 1993. It's not big enough for Apple or Microsoft to care to build a synth. Mustard packets sell more in the U.S. every year than all of the musical instrument related stores combined. No kidding.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ivorycj View Post
Mustard packets sell more in the U.S. every year than all of the musical instrument related stores combined. No kidding.
Ouch! I am curious about the size of the musical instrumetn retail business.

I figured hardware digital pianos are a small market. What about music-related software? A thought in the back of my mind for the last week or so has been to wonder why Apple is in the business of making music-related software. Perhaps the ROI is pretty good for that even though the market is small. I also wonder if the company will start to get out of its smaller businesses as it grows in size.

• Members

I've been in this industry since 1993. It's not big enough for Apple or Microsoft to care to build a synth.

Yeah, but then how do we explain the fact that Apple bought Emagic in the first place? The next thing we knew, they released GarageBand for free (an underrated and surprisingly powerful program, btw), and with Logic they've kept pace with the other major DAWs.

What I'm hoping is that a company like Apple might someday release not a 'synth' but a *computer* for making music or some specialized hardware/software combo that leverages the MacBook or a future incarnation of the iPad.

What if, for example, Apple made something like Maschine or Akai Renaissance, but gave the controller keys as well as drum pads, and gave it tight integration with the latest version of Logic? It could even have its own AU synths specially designed for its USB controller (or connect via Thunderbolt with built in audio interface).

Apple has always touted that they're the choice of artists and creative people. And the total market for people who use computers to make music is not what I would call small, when you factor in consumer music making apps.

It may be a long shot, but the fact that Apple even *cares* about producing Logic says that they haven't forgotten about music. They know that a lot of their sales come from users who sit down to their MacBooks, pull up iMovie or GarageBand for the first time and say, "Damn this is cool."

Archived