Just discovered my 15 year old sons piano ability. What should I get?

Cropduster

• Members

My 15-year-old son began piano lessons this year at school. We have discovered he has quite the talent and ear for music. I would like to get a piano/keyboard for the house. Anyone have any recommendations on something under $750?

want 88 keys that are weighted, btw. I'd like synthesizer sounds if possible but not necessary. A piano will do just fine if need be.

The Yamaha P-45 is under-budget and offers pretty much exactly what you're asking for - 88 keys, weighted action, 64-note polyphony... but it only offers ten onboard sounds. It was designed specifically for beginning piano students though. You can always connect it to your computer via USB and use any of a number of free (and commercial) software synths / "virtual instruments" with it to get "more sounds" if that's really important. :)

I have a (now discontinued) Kurzweil SP-2X that I really like. The modern equivalent would probably be the Kurzweil SP4-8. Those run about $999 though, but they come with a lot more (128) sounds, and other goodies, like drum loops. There's the even newer Kurzweil SP5-8, but at nearly $1,400, it's priced so far over budget that I feel bad even mentioning it. Sorry. :0

• Members
The Yamaha P-45 is under-budget and offers pretty much exactly what you're asking for - 88 keys' date=' weighted action, 64-note polyphony... but it only offers ten onboard sounds. It was designed specifically for beginning piano students though. You can always connect it to your computer via USB and use any of a number of free (and commercial) software synths / "virtual instruments" with it to get "more sounds" if that's really important. [img']http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/core/images/smilies/smile.png[/img]

I have a (now discontinued) Kurzweil SP-2X that I really like. The modern equivalent would probably be the Kurzweil SP4-8. Those run about $999 though, but they come with a lot more (128) sounds, and other goodies, like drum loops. There's the even newer Kurzweil SP5-8, but at nearly $1,400, it's priced so far over budget that I feel bad even mentioning it. Sorry. redface.gif

Many thanks, Phil! Just looked at one and I'm pulling the trigger.

• Members
Get an acoustic piano.
For under $750? Good luck w/that.

Nothing will replace the feel that needs to be developed. If he is talented as you say than it's a must to learn on the real thing.
Nonsense. DPs today have come a long way and many of them very close to approximating the real thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The local want ads here are full of people giving away pianos for free or almost free.

I posted mine on Facebook last fall on the local Facebook page in the community I was living in (Dawson City) My ad said "Free piano to the first person to come and take it away"

Within 5 minutes I was swamped with people - people that even offered money.

I wanted a young family to get it and that's exactly what happened, a young family came and picked it up for their 11 year old boy who was starting lessons.

I didn't accept money but I did receive a tasty banana bread by a grateful mother!

Archived