Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by Mike Martin
    View Post

Hey Midinut, congrats on your T4i purchase. I was considering the 40mm pancake as well, I bought the 50mm 1.8 which is shockingly good for $99. I'm now saving for the Sigma 30mm f1.4

Mike - how do you like the 50mm? The only reason I'm thinking of dropping the extra $ on the 40mm pancake is because of the STM designation which would be better if I dabble with video. After I do the prime my next gotta haves are the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Telephoto Lens and a 430 EX II Speedlite. All that should keep me busy for quite a while I think.
    Korg Kronos 61 :: Korg M3-73 Xpanded (w/Radias board) :: Behringer B212A Powered Speaker :: Variax 300 Sunburst :: PODx3 Live! :: Epiphone Acoustic Guitar :: Mandolin :: Steinberg Cubase 7.5 :: Omnisphere :: Trilian :: V-Collection :: Korg Legacy Collection :: SampleTank 2 XL :: Sonik Synth 2 :: Ravenscroft Piano :: Komplete 9 Ultimate :: VB3 :: Just Way Too Many VST's

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
      View Post

The X100 The camera that showed the light at the end of the tunnel for a more tradition camera

I LOVE the X100. I stopped using my Panasonic GF2 not long after i got it. I just sold both my m4/3 lenses and trying to sell the GF2 body. Ultimately, i'd like the Leica M8.
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed"><u>Synths:</u></font> <font face="Lucida Console">TT-303 . Analog Four . Octatrack . uWave II . Monotribe . Monotron Delay . Monotron</font></font><br><br><br><br><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed"><u>Drum Machines:</u></font> <font face="Lucida Console">Machinedrum UWmkI . Vermona Kick Lancet<br><br><br><br><br><br>New DJ Mix - <a target="_blank" href="http://www.mixcloud.com/ComputerControlled/acidted-question-everything/">AcidTed - Question Everything</a></font></font></div>

Comment

• I don't know how I have lurked around the KSS forum for so long now and didn't realize there is a photography thread. I have a little bit of a side business going in portrait work--it's my "other" main hobby besides music...kids, senior pics, family pics, that kind of stuff. You can see some of my work here: http://www.zenfolio.com/treylawrencephotography

As far as gear, mine is pretty modest. I have (all Canon) a 50D that I bought used (previously had a Digital Rebel XT). For lenses, I have the 85 1.8, the 50 1.4, the 50 1.8, the 28-105 3.5-4.5, and on the way, a 135L. I just sold off a 16-35L 2.8 to pay for the 135. Also have a Speedlite 420EX, a couple of Yongnuo speedlites, a cheapy set of Cowboy Studios wireless triggers, and some other basic lighting equipment (a couple of stands with umbrellas, a no-name softbox, and a couple of reflectors).
        <div class="signaturecontainer">My gear list:<br />
        <br />
        Guitars: Epi Les Paul w/ BG Dark Buckers; '06 MIM Fender Strat; '89 MIJ Fender/Squier Tele; '90 MIJ Fender Strat; Seagull S6<br />
        Amps: Vox AC30; Fender Champion 600; Vox Pathfinder 15<br />
        Pedalboard: CS-2/Fulldrive II/SD-1/DD-20/DD-5/Behringer verb/Fish &amp; Chips/Ernie Ball VP/TU-2<br />
        <br />
        Mandolin: Loar LM-520<br />
        <br />
        Keys/Synths: Korg Triton; Korg TR-Rack; Roland SH 201; Yamaha MM6; Yamaha DX7; Mac Powerbook w/ Komplete Elements 7, Vanguard; Reaper; Reason; Korg Electribe ES-1</div>

Comment

• Canon 10-22mm lens abuse on T3i in a total noobs hands

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by zzzxtreme
            View Post

what's your dream camera bernard? me likey Leica Monochrom

Saddly it does not exist ;-)

I will PM details...

For fun I like that little SONY more and more...
            世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• SONY's new 24 Meg Sensor - Image from the new NIKON D600 - NICE! :

http://chsvimg.nikon.com/lineup/dslr...1/img_02_l.jpg
              世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• Wow, even full on 100% that image is clear as a bell.
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed"><u>Synths:</u></font> <font face="Lucida Console">TT-303 . Analog Four . Octatrack . uWave II . Monotribe . Monotron Delay . Monotron</font></font><br><br><br><br><font size="1"><font color="DarkRed"><u>Drum Machines:</u></font> <font face="Lucida Console">Machinedrum UWmkI . Vermona Kick Lancet<br><br><br><br><br><br>New DJ Mix - <a target="_blank" href="http://www.mixcloud.com/ComputerControlled/acidted-question-everything/">AcidTed - Question Everything</a></font></font></div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Acid Hazard
                  View Post

Wow, even full on 100% that image is clear as a bell.

Like I said earlier in this thread 24 Meg on full frame seems to hit a sweet spot.. The new SONY sensor is better still so I look forward to more great samples/tests...
                  世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202
                    View Post

..and on the way, a 135L. I just sold off a 16-35L 2.8 to pay for the 135..

If you had the equivalent lens on a full frame it would be big heavy and painfully expensive... On the 1.6 crop factor it becomes a 216mm F2

If you ever get a Full Frame Camera it will be at its best for the work you mention...

Good move..
                    世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Bernard
                      View Post

If you had the equivalent lens on a full frame it would be big heavy and painfully expensive... On the 1.6 crop factor it becomes a 216mm F2

If you ever get a Full Frame Camera it will be at its best for the work you mention...

Good move..

Yeah, eventually the goal is to go FF. For now, the 135L will be good for stuff like my kids' volleyball and basketball games. The long length (counting the crop factor) combined with f2 should work really well for not-perfectly-lighted gyms where I am a little distance away from them. Also, since I do the vast majority of my portrait work outdoors, I will be able to use it some for that too...just need to stand really really far back!

In reality, though, I have found that for some types of portraits, like engagement and kids, there are times when I want to get more candid shots (for instance, a couple interacting with each other rather than a pose oriented toward the camera). I have found my 85 1.8 to be a little short for these, as I like to stay as out of the way/not noticeable to them as possible. I have used my 24-105 on 105 for this on occasion, but the IQ on that lens is just average. There are several photographers whose work I really admire who use their 70-200s on the 200 end for FF portrait work outdoors, and I have really liked what I have seen of this.

So, for now the 135L should be a fun diversion, and when I eventually go FF, I anticipate it will be my main portrait lens.
                      <div class="signaturecontainer">My gear list:<br />
                      <br />
                      Guitars: Epi Les Paul w/ BG Dark Buckers; '06 MIM Fender Strat; '89 MIJ Fender/Squier Tele; '90 MIJ Fender Strat; Seagull S6<br />
                      Amps: Vox AC30; Fender Champion 600; Vox Pathfinder 15<br />
                      Pedalboard: CS-2/Fulldrive II/SD-1/DD-20/DD-5/Behringer verb/Fish &amp; Chips/Ernie Ball VP/TU-2<br />
                      <br />
                      Mandolin: Loar LM-520<br />
                      <br />
                      Keys/Synths: Korg Triton; Korg TR-Rack; Roland SH 201; Yamaha MM6; Yamaha DX7; Mac Powerbook w/ Komplete Elements 7, Vanguard; Reaper; Reason; Korg Electribe ES-1</div>

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by plawren53202
                        View Post

Yeah, eventually the goal is to go FF. For now, the 135L will be good for stuff like my kids' volleyball and basketball games. The long length (counting the crop factor) combined with f2 should work really well for not-perfectly-lighted gyms where I am a little distance away from them. Also, since I do the vast majority of my portrait work outdoors, I will be able to use it some for that too...just need to stand really really far back!

In reality, though, I have found that for some types of portraits, like engagement and kids, there are times when I want to get more candid shots (for instance, a couple interacting with each other rather than a pose oriented toward the camera). I have found my 85 1.8 to be a little short for these, as I like to stay as out of the way/not noticeable to them as possible. I have used my 24-105 on 105 for this on occasion, but the IQ on that lens is just average. There are several photographers whose work I really admire who use their 70-200s on the 200 end for FF portrait work outdoors, and I have really liked what I have seen of this.

So, for now the 135L should be a fun diversion, and when I eventually go FF, I anticipate it will be my main portrait lens.

Your logic is spot on, well done!

On Full Frame, for candid even 135 is a tad short, but on your cropped frame it will be perfect and so much less obvious and painful to use that a honking great big 70-200 on the DSLR (assuming those of whom you speak use the F2.8's which is a bad as it gets for carrying)...

The 135 is the most beautiful lens. One of the best ever made. I have never shot one on Digital but it seems to hold up very well in samples on the latest DSLR's, it should do given it can be so sharp when you want it to...
                        世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• I'm enjoying shooting into the sun

and LOVING this program Photoscape

Comment

• did I kill this thread with my crappy cheat programs?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by wwwjd
                              View Post

did I kill this thread with my crappy cheat programs?

No, I was giving everyone a break... ;-)

The Canon EOS 6D was announced this week... Price performance looks good enough for me.. It will be nice to use some lenses I have on that as I have no digital camera to date !
                              世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYw5E5pbLhM

Hasselblad are teaming up with Sony by buying their camera parts and putting Hasselblad exteriors on them for the luxury market...

Nex7 on this one and the new A series it appears on another up coming product.

Not my cup of tea, but live and let live I say... ;-)

Seems a lot of companies jumping on the Sony supply chain....
                                世界で最高のシンセはmicroKORGにある

Comment

Working...
                                X