Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really disappointed with some oversights in the transition form 3-4, and 4-5. Chief among these is that the removal of the "select on launch" option in the preferences menu since version 4.

In the "Misc" tab under preferences, there's a Select on Launch option.

Please click on Attachment to see the Preferences menu, and what the Info section says about "Select on Launch."

Is this what you're looking for?
    CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Before proceeding -- I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent opinions and insights. Your contributions are what makes the whole "Pro Review" concept work.

I also look forward to more comments from Ableton's Dave Hill once he gets over his jet lag

I just had to say thanks for making this happen. Back to our regularly scheduled programming.
      CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Hi everyone. Been reading this excellent review very closely as I am about to drop the bomb and sell my E-Mu command station and Akai sampler to help finance an iMac G5 with Live 5. I've used Live 1 awhile back and I realllly dug it. I've been using the Live 5 demo and it is so much more fun to me than the tweakability of the E-mu and akai. Even the most basic loop/beat can be transformed into the most insane variations. Thank you Ableton.

Has anyone actually used these Faderfox controllers with Live?

http://www.faderfox.de/Faderfox-Homepage_english/faderfox-homepage_english.html

I'm really excited about getting some cool new controllers to use with Live.

Does Reason Rewire into Live well? I need a softsampler to replace the Akai and Reason is so easy to use.

Comment

Ortho,

check the ableton.com forums and search for faderfox--many satisfied users. Things may have changed, but I think you cannot buy them directly from the company in germany. Seems most US users either bought them in europe, or had european friends buy and ship. couldn't seem to find a definitive answer after searching their website for all of a minute just now.

Ryan

Comment

A question about live sequencing.

When you tell Live5 to go to a different section of the song like the bridge does it go immediately or is there some lead in time?

On my electribe it will wait till the current pattern is finished (up to 4 measures) and on my Motif it will wait up to one measure and switch regardless of where you are in the pattern.

It would be nice if it was more like the Electribe and would wait for the current song section to finish.

Comment

Hey there Craig - Jamsire ERNOIR here.

Live is great. I will say that the upgrade situation is - what it is. But I feel that if you make a program on MSExcel or use Quickbooks, you can see where you have made money against your expenses - per project. The whole "other" point about making music for fun - is making money. You are supposed to also find a way to make money!!!

When I was first going to college back in 1983, I complained that I was going to have to pay back student loans when I graduated 4 years later - at $110 a month!!! Then a boss I had once said - they expect you to WORK after you graduate! In ten years, $110 a month will mean nothing to you - and he was right.

$119 - adds up to the following:

1. 10 bad dates

2. Drugs and alchohol you really don't need

3. 12 bad movies (no popcorn)

4. No Starbucks for two weeks (for you "need to have coffee people")

5. One parking ticket (in NY) because you were too lazy to look at the sign.

6. Insanely high cell phone bill because you went to NAMM before the weekend.

7. More bad dates

8. Girlfriend/ boyfriend guilt presents

I could go on. Once I make the money back - I see the profit margin in the reprot - and I move on. With regards to features, GET THE DAMN DEMO FIRST!!! And always remember - Windows people - to use the "Restore Point" feature. You may just not like it after all.

I remain.
              I am Jamsire

Comment

Originally posted by therabbit
                A question about live sequencing.

When you tell Live5 to go to a different section of the song like the bridge does it go immediately or is there some lead in time?

On my electribe it will wait till the current pattern is finished (up to 4 measures) and on my Motif it will wait up to one measure and switch regardless of where you are in the pattern.

It would be nice if it was more like the Electribe and would wait for the current song section to finish.

You can set this in Live with the global quantize. Most people use the "bar" setting--this means that when you press a new "scene" button in live (or trigger a clip), Live will wait until the next measure ("bar") to start the new scene/clip. You could also set it to 2, 4, 8 bars, 1/4 notes, none at all (immediate triggering), whatever. Clips even have their own quantize settings for trigger that you can set independantly from the global if you want. Very flexible and intuitive.

Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by rdh3t
                  You can set this in Live with the global quantize. Most people use the "bar" setting--this means that when you press a new "scene" button in live (or trigger a clip), Live will wait until the next measure ("bar") to start the new scene/clip. You could also set it to 2, 4, 8 bars, 1/4 notes, none at all (immediate triggering), whatever. Clips even have their own quantize settings for trigger that you can set independantly from the global if you want. Very flexible and intuitive.

Ryan

Great! I can work with that!

I'm way overscheduled right now and I don't mind getting the demo and working through it, I just want to know that the program will do what I need.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton

In the "Misc" tab under preferences, there's a Select on Launch option.

Please click on Attachment to see the Preferences menu, and what the Info section says about "Select on Launch."

Is this what you're looking for?

DAMN, I got excited there for a second. Sadly, this feature apparently only applies to launching via a mouse, and supposedly the "select on launch via midi" is still not working. I haven't tested it with the demo yet, but the most recent reply in this thread confirms the lack of of "select on launch" when launching with midi (which is crucial for people trying to loop on two-handed instruments...the mouse is worthless for looping live instruments):

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=170204#170204

Also see this thread about the feature making it back just to get cut again:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23799

And this one touting live looping (notice it doesn't reference a version, because he's probably using 3):

http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=artists⊂=kid-beyond

Thanks for getting my hopes up This oversight not only hurts live loopers, but is totally counter-intuitive to the new midi control of the transport. This long-requested feature was implemented in such a way that you only have one set of hardware midi controls for the clip transport--these same midi knobs effect whichever clip is selected--they are global, not clip-specific. However, most performers launch clips via midi and key mappings, and thus their clips aren't "selected on launch". Thus, if you want to effect a clip with any of your midi transport assigned knobs, you have to first select the clip with the mouse--waste of time and energy on stage. Its sad that a seemingly simple feature, which is present and flawless in 3.0.2, gets removed in 4 and now 5, and totally ruins live as a looping device, and makes anyone gigging with 4 and 5 have to use the mouse much more often to select clips. What is the point of having key and midi mappable clip slots when they don't select the clip??? May as well remove this feature (just kidding!) and require the use of the mouse to trigger clips, becuase only it can select clips, which is what 99% of people want to happen when they trigger a clip. I hope Ableton can give us this option back. Whoever decided to take away an option that probably 80+% of version 3 users used was not thinking straight.

Ryan

Comment

mmm.

what if you buy a car. would you ask for more chairs AFTER you have bought it?

with software, people tend to believe they can ask for features, but why's is that.? because it's easier to change software maybe?

one thing that annoys me is software which is changing all the time, which is never finished. as a customer you will always feel it can be better etc. because of this. that's not good. it's not about the features, it's what you do with it.

I also see a shifting focus with Live. Live used to be a musician's program, but they are shifting to DAW. although they did it nicely, I can see certain issues which might become a problem when Ableton really thinks they should add video support too. I hope they consider a separate application for video. I mean, so people only use Live on stage, and who always felt it was meant for this. why should they need video. they would buy Cubase if they want that.

Please explain to me, why is there a Notepad program and why is their this program called Word?
                      Regards,

Marco Raaphorst
                      http://melodiefabriek.nl

Comment

Thanks for the kind introduction Craig. It is an honor to participate in your forum and this review of Live 5. I am again impressed with the helpful posts in just 24 hours or so! Great stuff going on here.

I’m going to try and keep the forum organized by posting several byte size replies. Hope this is clear and please let me know if I missed someone's remark or question with an email and I’ll reply (after a nap).

cheers,
                        Dave
                        Dave Hill Jr.
                        Public Media and Artist Relations Manager

Ableton AG
                        dave@ableton.com
                        www.ableton.com

Check out Live 5!
                        Create. Produce. Perform.

Comment

Originally posted by sunsinger
                          I'm running into some stumbling blocks though, about saving clips or loops. There does'nt seem to be any clear menu command regarding this. Sunsinger

Hi Sunsinger,

Sorry if this is at first unclear. Simply drag the clip to the browser (then rename), then press return / enter. Saving songs is done through the file menu and I recommend to always use Save As Self-Contained if hard drive space isn't an issue. By the way, while our manual is designed to be a reference guide, the best way to learn Live (for many) are the built in tutorials, complete with sound examples found inside Live’s lessons. To see Live’s lessons, go to the View menu and select Lessons. We’ve worked really hard to make learning Live as fun as possible (not that I don’t dive into new software sans manual too!).

Cheers,
                          Dave
                          Dave Hill Jr.

Ableton AG
                          dave@ableton.com
                          www.ableton.com

Check out Live 5!

Comment

Originally posted by rdh3t
                            What is the point of having key and midi mappable clip slots when they don't select the clip??? May as well remove this feature (just kidding!) and require the use of the mouse to trigger clips, becuase only it can select clips, which is what 99% of people want to happen when they trigger a clip. I hope Ableton can give us this option back. Whoever decided to take away an option that probably 80+% of version 3 users used was not thinking straight.

Ryan

Yo Ryan,

Select on Launch: I am sorry for your frustration on this feature appearing to disappear. Craig is right that you can still activate Select On Launch, but I understand it doesn’t work with outside MIDI controllers. This is a confirmed bug that will be fixed sometime in the future. However, you can have hope once again! I caught up with Kid Beyond today and he says that doesn’t need that feature to do his looping (and is loving Live 5 by the way). He turns his MIDI commands into keystrokes by using a free application called MIDI Translator http://www.bome.com/midi/translator/. I understand there is a similar application for the Mac called Control Aid but someone please jump in if you know better. Thanks also for posting this item in detail here and for the ableton forum links. We are indeed aware of the mighty loop / looper community and we do value your input greatly. We want Live to be the perfect tool for Live looping and thank you for bringing this again to our attention!

Cheers,
                            Dave
                            Dave Hill Jr.

Ableton AG
                            dave@ableton.com
                            www.ableton.com

Check out Live 5!

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Raaphorst
                              mmm.

what if you buy a car. would you ask for more chairs AFTER you have bought it?

Great point. Here are my thoughts on limitations in general. First of all, we need them. Limits create structure and for me add focus. One of the things I have found fascinating about working with Live is that by having less windows and views, I actually get more music done and spend more time listening (and mixing). That said, those of you in love with another DAW, please keep on loving it! I would never suggest anyone cancel out all those precious hours spent trying to learn another way of doing something you already know how to do. However, my boss would like me to suggest that you might still have a helluva lot of fun inside Live land. As Craig says, ReWire makes is easy for all of us to get along with whatever tool you like to work with. So give Live a try and see if music comes to thy ears . . .

all best,
                              drowsy dave
                              Dave Hill Jr.

Ableton AG
                              dave@ableton.com
                              www.ableton.com

Check out Live 5!

Comment

Good points made here by all. For a minute, please allow me to take off my Ableton hat and speak about my personal experience with Live. For me, it is all the DAW I need and a whole lot more. But all of us work differently and need different tools so let me quickly fill you in on where I’m coming from. I am a drummer who uses Live to sketch, produce, multi-track record, edit, and perform. I use Live like an MPC-style beat maker / phrase sampler/sequencer on the airplane, an HD editor/recorder in my living room, and performance instrument in “da club” or studio jam session. My two favorite features are that Live records all my automation moves without even thinking and can record perfectly cut loops quickly while I continually work on the mix. I also love the warp marker technology for massaging my drums where I, ahem, meant to play them. Speaking on Ableton’s behalf (placing Ableton hat back on head now), I would add that for many of our users, Live is a DAW and luckily a DAW that works great with other DAWs . . . but I am sure it is assuredly different things to different users. So please don't let me force my drummer ways on you! Oh wait, which hat did I have on there?

Cheers,
                                Dave
                                Dave Hill Jr.

Ableton AG
                                dave@ableton.com
                                www.ableton.com

Check out Live 5!

Comment

Working...
                                X