Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dude ,
    You quit wasting time on the web and get the version 7 guide out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hurry!!

(kidding)oke:

Hey Flatfinger,

Ha! Yeah man, I'm workin' on it. It'll be out around mid-November. You can be sure I'll be spreadin' the word as soon as the book is ready. Actually, maybe sooner... It should be up on Amazon for pre-order very soon.

Thanks!
    Scott

--
    Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.
    ** Get Sonar 6 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! **
    http://www.garrigus.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:
    http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Comment

Also, can someone talk about keying and ducking with compressors and gates. I can't for hte life of me figure out how to do this in previous versions of Sonar, and I"m just wondering if it's very easy to do it in version 7.

Comment

Yes, this is a new feature in Sonar 7. It is called side-chaining and it is now built-into Sonar. Previous versions did not have this ability.

Scott

--
        Scott R. Garrigus - Author of Cakewalk, Sound Forge 6, 7/8 and SONAR 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Power books.

Publisher of DigiFreq. Win a free Absynth 3 or Kontakt 2 DVD Tutorial and learn cool music technology tips and techniques by getting a FREE subscription to DigiFreq... over 20,000 readers can't be wrong! Go to:

Comment

As long as we're still on midi..

There is a midi feature buried deep within Sonar 7 called Pattern Brush. It's for creating drum tracks. Craig, would you look at this and comment? It seems simple enough, but I could not conceive a way to use Pattern Brush effectively. I know Pattern Brush is dated; it was introduced in Sonar 2. Still, I'd love for you to have a go at it, just to see how you would break it down and put it to use.
          Perhaps more interesting than Pattern Brush itself is seeing how Craig Anderton would put Pattern Brush to work. This, I'd love to see!
          Craig, will you please give it a go? Thank you. Leonard

Comment

Sonar now has specific tools for split (scissors tool), glue notes (glue tube), and mute.

Split works the same way as placing the cursor on a clip and typing S, but it can also be assigned as a mouse tool (as can the other new tools). Glue (which of course applies only to notes of the same pitch) is something I've been wanting for a while, and I'm glad it's here. When you choose the Glue tool, you just drag it over the notes you want to glue and they become one note. However, unlike Mute (described next) this works only on notes: Gluing controller events together produces a "fatal error" screen, and Sonar crashes after asking you if you want to save your work before it goes bye-bye.

Oops! We'll try to fix that in the first patch.
            Alex Westner
            Director of Product Management
            http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

A quick Pattern Brush primer...

1) Assign a Drum Map to your MIDI track and open that track in the Piano Roll View.
              2) Choose the Pattern Brush tool.
              3) Click the down arrow next to the tool and activate the following options: Use Pattern Velocities and Use Pattern Polyphony. Using these options will make your 'painted' parts conform exactly to the data in the pattern.
              4) Click the down arrow again and choose a pattern from the list.

Now just click/hold the left mouse button (starting at the point you want the pattern to be created) and drag to the right. Also, you don't need to line up your mouse with a particular drum instrument because Sonar will automatically fill in the notes with the appropriate instrumentation (as per the previous activated options and the pattern you selected).

The patterns included with Sonar conform to the General MIDI standard so you can use any GM synth (that includes drum kits) to generate sound (like the Cakewalk TTS-1 or Session Drummer 2).

Scott

--

Comment

Thanks Scott! My main use fot the pattern brush has been to create 16th-note high-hat patterns for techno tunes. I draw the 16th notes at a relatively low velocity, then use the filter to selectively boost velocity for all notes that hit on the beat. Then I use the filter again to boost velocity for all notes that hit on the beginning of a measure. Sometimes I'll randomize VERY slightly the start time of those notes that don't land on a beat...adds a little more interest.
                Simplicity, my new album project, is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

Oops! We'll try to fix that in the first patch.

One of my favorite Pro Review moments was finding a bug in Sonar 5, and you fixing it before the review was over! Makes me feel useful

Comment

Lots more flexibility, but you can't call up the erase simply by moving the draw button over the note (auto erase) in context as in SP6. There is an "auto sweep", but it is no accurate for individual notes, unless there is something I'm missing in the PRV Tool Configuration.....

I much prefer that; no big deal, but for quick correction of mistakes, that was the fastest, IMO.....

Chuck

Sonar has always had three main MIDI tools you could select with key commands: Select, Draw, and Erase. But Sonar 7 beefs up these three tools so you can add functions by using modifier keys (Ctrl, Shift, and Alt, singly or in combination) and mouse buttons (Left, Middle, Right).
                    "Flamenco Chuck" Keyser
                    http://www.flamencochuck.com

Comment

Thanks Scott! ..then use the filter to selectively boost velocity for all notes that hit on the beat. Then I use the filter again to boost velocity for all notes that hit on the beginning of a measure..

Thank you, Scott. I'm looking forward to Sonar 7 Power.

Craig-Thank you for showing how Pattern Brush can be effectively used. Your detailed description on how you go about subtly breaking up static rhythm is particularly useful. Thank you. Leonard

Aha!! So that's what you can do with midi filters! Man, that filter interface has always looked stiff and foreboding. But, now that I have a better understanding..

Comment

Thanks, Leonard! I'm workin' on it.

If you have one of my previous books... for example Sonar 6 Power... check out pages 95 to 98 and 233 to 235 for info on the select filter and the Interpolate function.

Scott

--

Comment

One of my favorite Pro Review moments was finding a bug in Sonar 5, and you fixing it before the review was over! Makes me feel useful

Haha, excellent, I'm up for a repeat.
                          Alex Westner
                          Director of Product Management
                          http://www.cakewalk.com

Comment

Hey Alex - another heads-up - if I try to insert Steinberg Hypersonic as a soft synth using the insert > soft synths menu, it crashes Sonar. If I insert it by right-clicking in the effects bin and choosing Hypersonic, it loads okay.

Comment

Probably not the place, but this is one bug I'm in the middle of crushing - been around since Sonar6. Names missing from Plugin Menus!

I'm not sure when it began to rear it's ugly head, but sometime last year certain VST plugins just wouldn't show up in any Plugin Manager menu, no matter what I did. I first noticed with microTonic, a plug I use a lot. I can see it in the list of installed VSTs, and it's in the menu editor. But where it counts it just doesn't show up. Oatmeal & V-Station are two others I know of off the top of my head that have gone MIA. I can get to some through track templates (yea for remembering to create them), but I can't figure out how to get V-Station into a Sonar Project.

I was hoping 7 would be the magic number and it would all be good. Nope.

In frustration, I ripped all my versions of Sonar off the computer, along with a whole lot of old software. Old Project 5. Gone. I didn't touch my plugins too much, including Dimension Pro and Rapture, but all those versions of Sonar I had going back to version 2 - outta there. I washed the registry several times with two different registry cleaners, including by hand. I was careful but thorough. But no luck.

So today I'm thinking of strategies to clean out my plugin folder. Granted, there's a lot of detritus in there. I'm pretty good at deleting what I don't want, but there's freebies I thought were cool, mag-ware I might have used once or twice, some of the lesser SynthEdit creations. I'm going to whittle it down to just the commercial plugins and the free/donation-ware I know works and use a lot. I guess I'll create a 2nd vst foler that sits right next to the current where I'll move most of this stuff, so I can still use it in other programs; perhaps bring it into Sonar with eXT as a plugin. I also think I'm going to toss any overall folder structure ("c:\program files\audio_plugins\instruments\samplers\..") and go with just splitting them up by developer and project ("c:\program files\audio_plugins\u-he\zebra2\..").

Anyway, I just needed to rant. If anyone knows where exactly in the registry I could look to see what's not show up that would be great.
                              --
                              digital lo-fi: A computer full of software and the truth.

Comment

Hey Alex - another heads-up - if I try to insert Steinberg Hypersonic as a soft synth using the insert > soft synths menu, it crashes Sonar. If I insert it by right-clicking in the effects bin and choosing Hypersonic, it loads okay.

I heard about someone having the same problem with Session Drummer 2 over on the DigiFreq Forums, but I haven't experienced it myself. Bugs are weird little critters, aren't they?

Scott

--

Comment

Working...
                                X