CAKEWALK SONAR 7 - NOW WITH CONCLUSIONS!

Anderton

• Members

Hello,

When I press a key on my keyboard there is about a 1/2 second delay before I hear the sound come out through my PC speaker. This makes it a bit of an inconvinience when I'm playing back a song and trying to add another track via MIDI. Is this delay something that can be adjusted in SONAR 7 or is that just something you have to live with when using MIDI?

Thank you.

Rigoberto

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hello,

When I press a key on my keyboard there is about a 1/2 second delay before I hear the sound come out through my PC speaker. This makes it a bit of an inconvinience when I'm playing back a song and trying to add another track via MIDI. Is this delay something that can be adjusted in SONAR 7 or is that just something you have to live with when using MIDI?

Thank you.

Rigoberto

Sounds like you have a high amount of latency on your sound card. What kind are you using? It's likely you're not using the low-latency ASIO drivers. Go to Options/Audio. On the general page, the mixing latency is near the bottom. If this is high, about 15ms or more, you're going to start hearing delays.

Go to the advanced tab. Under the Playback and Recording, make sure your driver modes is set to ASIO. Once set, go back to the General tab and you should see the latency lowered significantly if it wasn't previously on ASIO. If it is, adjust the buffer size lower if possible to get a lower latency. Just know if you go to low, you'll start getting pops and crackles. The faster your processor, the lower you can get your latency before this crackling starts.

• Members

Sounds like you have a high amount of latency on your sound card. What kind are you using? It's likely you're not using the low-latency ASIO drivers.

It was not set to ASIO. I set it to ASIO and it sounds perfect now.

Thank you so much.

Rigoberto

• Members

Good information in this thread and a great review Mr. Anderton. However, I have a couple of questions (I have Sonar 7 Producer Edition):

1. When using soft synths, changes I make to the synth from the synth's properties view don't seem to "stick" to the settings on the MIDI track. So, for example, let's say I have some MIDI sequence in the track and I decide that I don't like the current instrument I'm using. So I play through a couple of other instruments and find one I like. When I hit play, it immediately reverts back to the first instrument. Essentially any changes via the property window don't stick. If I change it in the track view, it sticks. Am I missing some controller event or something?

2. When recording multiple takes in an audio track, is there any way to automatically mute previous takes without having looping on? I thought I had this working in the trial version, but so far if I don't setup loop extents and turn looping on, the previous takes are not muted. Am I missing something here?

Other than that, great software so far.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

1. When using soft synths, changes I make to the synth from the synth's properties view don't seem to "stick" to the settings on the MIDI track. So, for example, let's say I have some MIDI sequence in the track and I decide that I don't like the current instrument I'm using. So I play through a couple of other instruments and find one I like. When I hit play, it immediately reverts back to the first instrument. Essentially any changes via the property window don't stick. If I change it in the track view, it sticks. Am I missing some controller event or something?

2. When recording multiple takes in an audio track, is there any way to automatically mute previous takes
without
having looping on? I thought I had this working in the trial version, but so far if I don't setup loop extents and turn looping on, the previous takes are not muted. Am I missing something here?

1. Set the track Patch parameter to None and then it will not change the preset that you choose in the synth window.

2. You can choose Transport > Record options and activate Auto Punch, set the range to the entire track, and activate the Mute Previous Takes option. Now when you record your takes in a single track, previous takes should be muted. You can then expands the track via Layers and see the individual muted clips.

Scott

--

Scott R. Garrigus - Author of the Cakewalk Sonar and Sony Sound Forge Power book series. Get Sonar 7 Power & Sound Forge 8 Power - Today! Go to: http://www.garrigus.com/ - http://www.musictechshop.com/ - http://www.cooltechshop.com/

Publisher of DigiFreq - free music technology newsletter. Win a free SoundTech Vocal Trainer Package, go to: http://www.digifreq.com/digifreq/

Publisher of NewTechReview - free consumer technology newsletter. Win a free i2i Stream Wireless Music Pack, go to: http://www.newtechreview.com/newtechreview/

• Members

Thanks for the reply. I've been meaning to post about the recording part.

I think I may have indirectly discovered the solution to the soft synth problem, but I'll make sure it's set to none.

For the audio recordings, what I was really looking for is a way to record multiple takes for multiple tracks while recording a band. Since Sonar basically has no limit on the length of a track, I decided to just never stop recording and just hit the save button between takes. This seems to work pretty well and feels a little more "organic" since one of us who is playing usually presses the save button and there is only one button push instead of three (btw, that's via a control surface). It should be just as easy to set up another MIDI controller just for this purpose, such as a foot controller.

We recorded about 1hr 50 min using this method with no issues. Later I just went back through and divided up the takes and copied them to their own separate projects.

• Members

I really like the audio loops included with Cakewalk's Music Creator 3 and Home Studio 6, and I assume Sonar 7 Pro (especially the funky Wurly and Rhodes loops).

Does anyone have a clue as to what company developed these? Loopmasters?

Given the names like "373_105Wurlitzer_Amin9.wav", I can only imagine that they are part of a larger collection, which I'd love to get my hands on.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I came very close to buying Sonar 7 because I wanted good recording software with the capability for using in Vista 64 bit that I have on the same computer with the Vista 32. I decided at the last minute to just get a Boss BR-600 because at the time Sonar 7 would work fine in Vista 64 bit but the Interface units that would work in Vista 64 were very few and pricy.

If everyone would finally get on to the 64 bit wagon it would be great as it works more efficiently than 32 bit. Notice I did not say twice as fast because it isn't. At the most maybe 50% faster but the CPU runs significantly cooler as it "twiddles it's thumbs" while doing most stuff.

• Members

I came very close to buying Sonar 7 because I wanted good recording software with the capability for using in Vista 64 bit that I have on the same computer with the Vista 32. I decided at the last minute to just get a Boss BR-600 because at the time Sonar 7 would work fine in Vista 64 bit but the Interface units that would work in Vista 64 were very few and pricy.

If everyone would finally get on to the 64 bit wagon it would be great as it works more efficiently than 32 bit.

Line 6, PreSonus, MOTU, and several others have 64-bit interface drivers at this point. A lot of programs work native in 64-bit as well. It has indeed been a slow process, but regardless of whether or not Vista ever becomes big for music, the future is 64-bit computing (also note Leopard!) so it's important for companies to start developing for that type of platform now.

• Members

Line 6, PreSonus, MOTU, and several others have 64-bit interface drivers at this point. A lot of programs work native in 64-bit as well. It has indeed been a slow process, but regardless of whether or not Vista ever becomes big for music, the future is 64-bit computing (also note Leopard!) so it's important for companies to start developing for that type of platform now.

Yes, true. At the time I was looking Cakewalk was the one and only to use 64 bit technology (4-5 months after Vista came out)

• Members
I love your (craig) color scheme for Sonar 7 from the pic i've seen in sound on sound. Is it possible do download your scheme?

Stian

Well, I've used several different schemes in my Sound on Sound articles...and I use three different color schemes on a regular basis, one for classical work, one for audio-for-video, and one for regular ol' recording. If you can point me to an issue and which image, I'll attach it as a file and post it here :)

• Members

I've bought Cakewalk 7 about a month ago. Currently on Win XP x64 so was looking to use the 64bit optimization to its fullest extent.

What I am noticing so far (since ver. 4 I ran few years ago) - the interface design couldn't make up its mind from the new black interface (Vista-style) and the old school Cakewalk 9 interface. Some things look really well polished and other parts really clunky. Functionality is the same but I wish I can actually go back to the older interface look instead as it seems that this hasn't caught up fully.

My midi (with Firepod) is really buggy - I get dropouts all the time. I tried tweaking latency and such but so far no luck.

For what I do I haven't seen any huge improvement since version 4 but I am just getting back to Sonar after Cubase dropped Direct X support with their new version 4.

• Members
Well, I've used several different schemes in my Sound on Sound articles...and I use three different color schemes on a regular basis, one for classical work, one for audio-for-video, and one for regular ol' recording. If you can point me to an issue and which image, I'll attach it as a file and post it here
:)

Sound on Sound Aug 2008 has a kind of grey Sonar background that I like. And if you have variations of that theme Im intererested in those as well...
http://img3.harmony-central.com/acapella/ubb/thumb.gif
:thu:
Stian

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

I have an opportunity to obtain either Cubase SX3 or Sonar 7 (I currently use Samplitude 9SE - love it but full versions are VERY costly) I am wondering if Sonar 7 supports a Mackie HUI natively. Earlier demos of Sonar I tried did not. I either had to use it as a CH MotorMix (with no transport controls) or go thru the learn process, which is a pain and caused jittering faders and still no transport control).
I know Cubase handles the Mackie HUI almost as if you were using ProTools. I dont need to get the meters moving on the HUI, but I do want all channel strip functionality and transport control. I'm hearing that Sonar 7 is better, but I cannot buy another control surface.
Any thoughts?

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey Craig.

First of all, thanks for all your amazing work over the years - truly inspiring and helpful - you totally rock. I 've been a CW user since DOS days!!

My question is (and I'm sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself - I have not read through this whole thread yet), are you doing a SONAR 8 Review [for HC or anyone else]? Or have you done one somewhere, and I'm just missing it?

Thanks,
Joseph Briggs - Producer, Composer
Wired Planet Music, NY
SONAR 6.2.1 / Dimension Pro / Rapture - Tape Op Review 9/2007

• 1 month later...

Archived