No announcement yet.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
    View Post

1) Does the NEXUS app always sync to the ipb-10 as soon as you connect it? ....or is there a function to essentially "apply my Nexus setup to the ipb-10 now"

2) When you use functions such as Quick Save, Save New, Delete, are you affecting the tone shown under the Assinged Tabs? the Factory Tones Tab? or the My Library tab? or all the above?

4) Under the Factory Tone tab. the manual statess "touching this tab displays all factory tones." I see them all (alphabetically), but they show no pre-assignment (even though there are all assigned on the unit itself) Why is that? Also, is there a way to accidentally delete a factory tone from this tab? I dont see a delete icon, so thats good.

5) under the My Library tab, the manual says "touching this tab dispalys all your custom use tones." Out of the box, this appears to be the same list as the Assigned list, but its sorted alpahatically, So what is the main difference between this tab, and the highly functional Assigned tab?

Tx

1) The iPB-10 always syncs to the iPad - there is no option for not syncing or syncing the other way. What this means is that you cannot consider your patches "backed up" on the iPB-10 - they only reside on your iPad and whatever backup you might have done of it. What this meant for me was that when I upgraded to the iPad 3 and didn't want to restore all my old cr@p to the new device, I had to find a utility that allowed access to the hidden data files associated with Nexus, and manually save and restore those. This also means that if your iPad dies while on tour, you cannot grab a new one or a friends and transfer your settings from the iPB-10 to it - you'll have to restore from iTunes on your PC.

2) A Preset, or tone (why two names?), only exists once, but can be assigned to multiple bank/positions. You get the option when saving changes to "Update All" positions, or save with a new name to the current bank/position. I regularly encounter a bug where a tone assigned to multiple bank/positions doesn't ask me whether I want to save as new - sometimes it asks, sometimes it doesn't, leaving me with the uneasy feeling that Presets with the same name, but assigned to different positions, have different settings (I don't think this has happened, though).

4) I've deleted all the factory tones, so I don't know much about managing them. I do know you get the option to restore a bank/position to its factory tone when you unassign one of your own tones from that position.

5) I just use those tabs as a way to see my tones organized alphabetically or by position, both of which come in handy when creating a set list for a gig.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Guitfiddl
      View Post

...what have you folks come up with for a really nice basic clean tone? Kind of a strat or tele+deluxe reverb thing with the full range of bass to treble getting through? No effects, but strips the hum (or most of it) from the single coils out. Maybe a slight touch of reverb that can be switched on, but is not a big part of the sound. I'm going to work on nailing this today.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan09
      View Post

Let me know what you come up with! For now, I found I tend to use the 18 :1 preset ( Arch Top - Jazz style clean for semi-hollow electric)

I posted my first audio clip, using the 18:1 preset. Style here is the complete other extreme of the patches to date .. an attempt at Don McClean's VIncent !

http://soundcloud.com/mediaman09/vin...on-mclean-18-1
      iPB-10 Ready Reference Web Site
      My new home for forum discussions : DigiTech iPB-10 USER FORUM (at TGP)

Comment

View Post

I posted my first audio clip, using the 18:1 preset. Style here is the complete other extreme of the patches to date .. an attempt at Don McClean's VIncent !

http://soundcloud.com/mediaman09/vin...on-mclean-18-1

Sounds great MediaMan! Thanks a lot for posting.

I wasn't happy with my efforts yesterday. I was thinking in bed last night that what I was missing could be due to my strings being a bit old on the guitar I was using. I wasn't getting enough "liveliness". I'm going to put new strings on a guitar this evening and try again. I'll start with your 18:1 recommendation.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by RickyKeith
          View Post

1) The iPB-10 always syncs to the iPad - there is no option for not syncing or syncing the other way. What this means is that you cannot consider your patches "backed up" on the iPB-10 - they only reside on your iPad and whatever backup you might have done of it. What this meant for me was that when I upgraded to the iPad 3 and didn't want to restore all my old cr@p to the new device, I had to find a utility that allowed access to the hidden data files associated with Nexus, and manually save and restore those. This also means that if your iPad dies while on tour, you cannot grab a new one or a friends and transfer your settings from the iPB-10 to it - you'll have to restore from iTunes on your PC.

I bought my iPB-10 used and when I connected my iPad, it restored all of the previous owner's patches/banks from the iPB-10 to my iPad. It was interesting to see how the previous owner used the banks. I've edited patches offline and when reconnected it would apply my changes to the iPB-10. So far it appears that Digitech has done proper versioning when syncing patches.

I only wonder which one has precedence in the end. If an iPB-10 has one iPad's patches and I connect a different iPad with another set of patches, which will be considered the correct set? Will I be prompted to decide for myself? I don't know on this one, but it appears so far that the banks on the iPB-10 have precedence from my experience.

Comment

View Post

if your iPad dies while on tour, you cannot grab a new one or a friends and transfer your settings from the iPB-10 to it - you'll have to restore from iTunes on your PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Reposed Roller
            View Post

I bought my iPB-10 used and when I connected my iPad, it restored all of the previous owner's patches/banks from the iPB-10 to my iPad. It was interesting to see how the previous owner used the banks.

Could be just me, but the above two experiences sound inconsistent, in the first scenario, ipb-10 settings could not restored directly to the ipad ; in the second, they could.

It would be great if at some point DigiTechRep could clarify the sync procedure, ie
            • does one need or not need itunes?

• in what direction does it sync? ( or is it bi-directional)

• which takes precedence when there is a conflict?

• what happpens ( or is supposed to happen) when a borrowed ipad is connected to an ipb-10.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Reposed Roller
              View Post

I bought my iPB-10 used and when I connected my iPad, it restored all of the previous owner's patches/banks from the iPB-10 to my iPad. It was interesting to see how the previous owner used the banks. I've edited patches offline and when reconnected it would apply my changes to the iPB-10. So far it appears that Digitech has done proper versioning when syncing patches.

I only wonder which one has precedence in the end. If an iPB-10 has one iPad's patches and I connect a different iPad with another set of patches, which will be considered the correct set? Will I be prompted to decide for myself? I don't know on this one, but it appears so far that the banks on the iPB-10 have precedence from my experience.

That's interesting. With a new iPad and install of Nexus, I had the opposite result - my iPB10 was overwritten with factory defaults. I restored them by plugging in my old iPad. I've never seen a prompt giving any options. Later I transferred the hidden Nexus data files from the old iPad to the new one to remedy the situation.

Comment

View Post

That's interesting. With a new iPad and install of Nexus, I had the opposite result - my iPB10 was overwritten with factory defaults. I restored them by plugging in my old iPad. I've never seen a prompt giving any options. Later I transferred the hidden Nexus data files from the old iPad to the new one to remedy the situation.

Maybe there was a fundamental change in syncing behavior between firmware and/or nexus revisions.

I bought mine in April of this year and had the latest firmware and nexus installed before connecting the two. When did you get yours and (if applicable) did you update the firmware/nexus since then?

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by Reposed Roller
                  View Post

Maybe there was a fundamental change in syncing behavior between firmware and/or nexus revisions.

I bought mine in April of this year and had the latest firmware and nexus installed before connecting the two. When did you get yours and (if applicable) did you update the firmware/nexus since then?

This was all with the latest release, from Feb 2012

Comment

View Post

.....A Preset, or tone (why two names?), only exists once, but can be assigned to multiple bank/positions. ....

That's a very important point and helpful to better understand what the tabs represent.

So in my mind,

- the ASSIGNED tab mirrors what is currently applied to the ipb-10. Contains up to 100 presets. Editing a preset followed by Quick Save, saves it here.

- the FACTORY tab is a reference only, in case one needs to restore back to a factory preset. Contains the 100 factory presets

- the LIBRARY tab is just that, a user library/collection of potentially hundreds of presets. Editing a preset followed by Save New, saves it here. The DT web page acutally descibes it well, saying " The iPB-Nexus app includes the My Tones library where you store, organize, and rate all your favorite presets. My Tones allows you to store an unlimited number of presets and group them any way you want. For example, you can make preset lists for certain sets or specific music genres"

As to your other questions/observations raised in your post 1422 reply, I hope they can be answered eventually.

Comment

View Post

This was all with the latest release, from Feb 2012

Weird.

Syncing data is a classical programming problem and there are lots of approaches to the problem. As mentioned, maybe DigiTechRep can get us some info in how the syncing works with the iPB-10 so we know what the expected behavior should be.

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by thebioguy
                        View Post

He's lying to buy time.

I am curious to know the basis of your stating that as a fact. According to the Electronic Frontier Foundation that would seem to meet the requirements a defamatory statement, and unless you can show that you have incontrovertible knowledge that he is in fact "lying to buy time," it looks to me that you have made a libelous statement that is actionable. I doubt that DigiTechRep would bother to pursue it in a court of law, but Harmony Central does not approve of people making libelous statements within this forum and has a propensity to ban those who do. You can read up on the subject here. In a nutshell:

The elements that must be proved to establish defamation are:

1. a publication to one other than the person defamed;

2. a false statement of fact;

3. that is understood as

• a. being of and concerning the plaintiff; and

• b. tending to harm the reputation of plaintiff.

Your statement meets all those requirements, unless you can prove your statement that he is "lying to buy time" is NOT false. I highly doubt you can.

Anyway, I prefer facts to speculation, so here are some facts regarding approval time for apps.

http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment....end-graph.html

As you can see, average times have been creeping up since January. The chart shows them trending back down to around a week recently, but remember, that's an average.

Now take a look at the tweets that provided the raw data, and from which the average figures were derived.

http://reviewtimes.shinydevelopment....tter-data.html

The numbers, which cover only the last 30 days when wait times started to improve compared to a few months prior, speak for themselves. Go to the earlier part of September, and lots of people were reporting delays of 14 days. One reported 17 days and one reported 33. There are also quite a few 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 day waits.

Also note that the 14 day wait noted by chris0241 was the time it took for his app to be rejected, not accepted. Therefore he will go to the back of the line, and the actual time to acceptance will exceed that, should he decide to re-submit.

However, you'll also see a lot of 3, 4, and 5 day turnarounds, and even several 1-day turnarounds. This accounts for the average time. But if you look at the numbers, you'll see there's quite a wide variance among approval times.

Also note that these figures specifically do not include the unusually short times for expedited reviews, nor the unusually long times for "needs additional time to review" cases. Now, here's my one piece of speculation: it would not surprise me if an app that involves substantial and complex integration with an entirely separate piece of hardware not made by Apple would take more time to review than an app that is solely iPad-specific.

As to why an app was rejected, DigiTechRep is prohibited by NDA about giving any information about why an app was rejected. This is Apple's policy.

On the other hand no matter how long it takes to get the Nexus app through, it will likely be nowhere near as long as the amount of time it may take Apple to approve Google Maps.

And in response to a question in Stackoverflow regarding average waiting time for iPhone app approval, Jasanen stated "This question is unanswerable. The review time depends directly on a closed process within Apple that no-one outside of Apple can talk about. The waiting times vary wildly from anything between an hour and a month or even longer. Just sit tight. It'll happen when it happens."
                        CHECK IT OUT: Lilianna!, my latest song, is now streamable from YouTube.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

Comment

• It occured to me that as we (the user community) figure things out, and get our own questions answered, it would be helpful to summarize them in a user based FAQ.

So, yah, I added a User FAQ section to the ready reference.

I've popluated some, but it's a long thread, so for those inclined to help, please feel free to flip me suitable Q & A's and I'll get them posted.

Comment

View Post

It occured to me that as we (the user community) figure things out, and get our own questions answered, it would be helpful to summarize them in a user based FAQ.

So, yah, I added a User FAQ section to the ready reference.

I've popluated some, but it's a long thread, so for those inclined to help, please feel free to flip me suitable Q & A's and I'll get them posted.

Once again we all have to Thank You for your excellent ideas and work.

It's sad that this work has to be done by users instead of Digitech.

I really hope that Digitech didn't gave up iPB-10 by now...

Comment

• Quote Originally Posted by nmaia
                              View Post

Once again we all have to Thank You for your excellent ideas and work.

It's sad that this work has to be done by users instead of Digitech.

I really hope that Digitech didn't gave up iPB-10 by now...

Thanks for comments. Glad to help the cause!

As to this type of work falling to the users , I'm really not too concerned on that point, given that:
                              • I'd much rather DT focus on support of the core product, for as long as possible, via application and firmware updates, tech support, documentation, new functionality, companion products, market share, setting standards, etc., etc.

• They have been completely supportive of the ready reference work.

• As a user-based initiative, we, the users, in theory, have infinite resources available us to work on the r/r site, and can evolve in any direction we like.

As to the concern that "hope that Digitech didn't gave up iPB-10 by now.", they of course have not given up on the product at all...I think those concerns really refer back to the anxiety for the next update. My opinion there is:
                              • if it’s a large update, they should indeed take all time they need in getting it right as no one wants a flawed version of Nexus that would prevent changes from being made, or worse affect the operation on the iPB-10 once connected for the first time.

• it’s not really late - no date was ever promised.

• we know its coming, as its in the final Apple approval process stage

On the flip side:

• while there is no promise of future udates, and while products are purchased based on current functionality , this unit is ipad-configurable and firmware upgradaable ; there is a natural expectation that it will evolve.

• I dont like the big-bang updates ; Would much rather see more frequent, incremental, slow-but-sure updates. I think this is a safer route, and would result in a quantum leap is user confidence. Much of this thread is devoted to perceived delays. That would all disappear with smaller more frequent updates. Users are simply naturally anxious to see updates because they see them for all other apps, and because its a proxy for "good to see the product is still being supported". Perhaps this is a lesson learned, and going forward in 2013, we will see smaller and more frequent updates.

Comment

• I like the way you see things.

I also hope for small frequent updates. Small fixes and a couple of new stuff that would keep us happy and waiting for the next one.

The only thing for me is that a "Huge" product like the iPB-10 surely deserved a bigger team.

Comment

Working...
                                X