DigiTech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard

Anderton

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Received my IPB today and I've been messing around with it. Pretty cool out of the box. Got it running in with the 4CM but the cool thing is that if your amp goes down, all you need to do is step on the AMP switch in the upper left of the board and it'll switch you over to a model setup. Another cool feature I didn't know about is that if you don't have the ipad in the tray, you can still access and use the tuner. the notes show in the upper right corner 2 digit display and the stomp switch lights actually act as a strobe. Nice hidden feature that isn't in the manual.

• Members

Gave a try at recording a video for the new Digitech IPB-10 to showcase the tuner function. I plan on doing more videos in the future but this was kind of a dry run with my iphone and not much else. There's not really any playing as it's more for showing people how to access certain functions within the board. Anderton I hope you don't mind me posting this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhighRocks

View Post

Gave a try at recording a video for the new Digitech IPB-10 to showcase the tuner function. I plan on doing more videos in the future but this was kind of a dry run with my iphone and not much else. There's not really any playing as it's more for showing people how to access certain functions within the board. Anderton I hope you don't mind me posting this.

SWEET!! Feel free to contribute to the thread, that's what makes pro reviews cool.

It's particularly appreciated now, because my main music computer went down last week. I had to scramble to put together a "Frankenputer" out of various components while the old one is being repaired, and it's definitely impacted my productivity...so it's great having some cover smile.gif

OTOH I do have a functional computer now, so I can get back into the swing of things.

• Members

Nice job on the video. I's been difficult to find many examples of the tones the IPB-10 can make. Mine is currently on the big brown truck. Hope to have some time early next week to fire it up. Thanks for sharing this!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

Don't miss Post #21, there's quite a wide variety of tones in there too.

Thanks Craig ... your tones in that video were what convinced me to order an IPB-10 to try out. Much appreciated. Here's another video that offers some more examples:

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Will Chen

View Post

You guys ready for the iPad 3 lauch? Looks like its thicker than the 2 is and Apple is planning a late 1st quarter/early 2nd quarter launch...

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/...l-report-says/

Yep, from what we can tell, the iPad1 trays that we ship with along with the Pad2 trays for the iPB-10 will fit the iPad3 quite nicely!

• Members

The iPB-10 has a nice problem: It's easy to figure out. Easy enough, in fact, that it's equally easy to overlook some of the deeper functions, and I thought that's what should be next for this Pro Review. So, it's time to look at the documentation, and find out what I don't know about the iPB-10. And then it occurred to me that it's worth talking about the documentation.

The main documentation is available from the DigiTech web site as a downloadable PDF file. This has 74 pages and covers everything, including lists of presets and such. Because it's a PDF file, you can click on items in the contents page and jump to them, or select from the "sidebar" to the right of the document.

The documentation is graphically intensive, with text connecting to arrows that point at what's being discussed; with step-by-step sections, numbers are used as well. As someone who's written quite a few manuals in my time, the iPB-10 documentation is transparent, the text is written compactly, and the use of graphics makes it dead simple to understand what's going on. The following is one of the most complex pages in the manual--assigning the expression pedal--but as you can see, it's still easy to understand, and takes you through the process step-by-step.

1yPUU.jpg

20 pages of this documentation, sort of the "greatest hits," is built into the application itself, and shown on the iPad; you access it by touching the Help button. This opens up the "mini-manual." You move from page to page with your typical iPad "swipe the screen" movement.

The help starts off with iPad tweaks you might want to make to optimize it for use with the Nexus-iPB app. Next, it describes the icons at the top menu bar, and what they do. It then goes through the app, one window at a time, and includes descriptions for the elements being described.

For example, the following image shows the help for the My Tones Window. Note the label in the lower left identifying what's being described; as there's no index or way to jump to a particular topic in the Help (unless DigiTechRep knows some technique I haven't figured out yet), these help you find the right page when scrolling through rapidly. For most pages this label appears in the upper left of the screen.

S9ltn.jpg

Once the basic "operating system" is covered (Bank selection, choosing tones, saving and editing, etc.) the Help progresses to highlighting specific elements of the pedals and amps themselves. This starts simple, as you'll see in the following image. Note the tip in the lower left.

Jx9Mx.jpg

One aspect of the Help that has both advantages and disadvantages is that it isn't context-sensitive. On the negative side, if you have (for example) the My Tones or Tuner window open, you'd expect that touching the Help icon would open the help page relating to My Tones or Tuner respectively. But, that's not the way it works; instead, calling up Help takes you back to the last page you had opened in the Help. The positive aspect is that if you're trying to figure out, for example, how programming pedals work, you can check out that section in the help, exit, try out what you've learned, then return to where you came from.

So overall, the iPB-10 documentation deserves high marks, and obeys Anderton's Law of Documentation ("Equipment that's easy enough to figure so you don't really need a manual usually have the best manuals") and also, Anderton's Corollary ("If you want people to think you write good manuals, document a good operating system"). However, you definitely want to download the full PDF manual from the site--the Help is useful, but doesn't tell the whole story.

• Members

So what's next? I want to cover the GUI further, and hopefully before too long my main music computer will be back. However, it needed a clean install of Windows 7 so there's all the copy protection/entering serial numbers stuff...oh well.

Meanwhile, I do have a functioning Frankenputer I cobbled together out of an old ADK desktop (dual AMD Athlon X2) and it's certainly good enough for recording audio examples. So, if y'all want me to emphasize more recording of the various sounds this can do, let me know and I'll do that next, then get more into the GUI.

• Members

Anderton, I read your excellent thread about dialing out unwanted frequency with full parametric EQ. I don't mean to stray from your current focus here , but ......

It would be great if Digitech would add this to the EQ option. I am not sure if this is a "costly" addition or it is something that is easily done. It would be great to "sweep" the frequency on the higher gain models !

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Anderton

View Post

You mean I have to sit here, come up with cool sounds, and play guitar? Well, I guess I'll cope somehow smile.gifsmile.gif

You are living a life of pain! No one should have to fool around with all of this awesome new gear ... but we do appreciate the sacrifice. smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jerryratpack

View Post

It would be great if Digitech would add this to the EQ option. I am not sure if this is a "costly" addition or it is something that is easily done. It would be great to "sweep" the frequency on the higher gain models !

It took hours of arduous effort but we were able to add what you need (it was already in the iPB-10) wink.gif. Since the iPad can't take screen shots, here is a craptacular cell-phone pic:

2v10tjd.jpg

The EQ is found under the "Other" pedals menu.

This gives me the opportunity to let everyone know that they can download our iPB-Nexus App from the Apple App store for free. Having the App under your fingertips will help solidify a lot of the GUI/NAV concepts that Anderton and I have been discusssing ITT.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

It took hours of arduous effort but we were able to add what you need (it was already in the iPB-10)

Beat me to it. The High band is the one that covers the right frequency range, and use the sharpest notch.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

It took hours of arduous effort but we were able to add what you need (it was already in the iPB-10) wink.gif. Since the iPad can't take screen shots, here is a craptacular cell-phone pic:

2v10tjd.jpg

The EQ is found under the "Other" pedals menu.

This gives me the opportunity to let everyone know that they can download our iPB-Nexus App from the Apple App store for free. Having the App under your fingertips will help solidify a lot of the GUI/NAV concepts that Anderton and I have been discusssing ITT.

Hey Digitechrep, I appreciate your answer, but maybe I should of been more detailed.

In Anderton's article on EQ, "How to make amp sims more Analog" http://www.harmonycentral.com/docs/DOC-1652

He mentions to dial out unwanted frequency(s), you need a "full Parametric" not a semi parametric which I believe is in the Nexus app. After reading his article, I was reading how some people are using inside their daw, or on a competitor MFX , a full parametric eq which they can actually "sweep" . It would be great if you had a 4 or 5 or 10 band planned for the future upgrade. At least it seems good on paper .

• Members

Hi everyone.

Just joined. Got my IPB-10 last week and used it live the first night. Pretty much kept it to 3 factory settings to see what it can do. Used patch 5:2 Metal Head for distortion, 7:3 Funky Clean, and 9:2 Stevie Ray for blues. I am blown away by the sound and how easy setup is. I am interested in this forum because apparently you have a digitech reps ear. Two suggestions for digitech. Foot pedal access to the tuner and the ability to link more than 2 distortion pedals in the chain, maybe i can do this haven't figured it out yet. I am also completely paranoid about my ipad being on the ground. I am gonna talk to a plastics guy about a cover, I'll let you know how that turns out. I already know that magnets won't work to secure it so I'll have to go with some kind of posts. It does work fine without the ipad, but when turning pedals on and off the visual is convenient. I bought a 6 foot dock extender for my ipad and am convinced this is a must! Would like to know if people have gotten any cool sounds out of this. Trying to get a Tom Schulz Boston Sound, any help would be appreciated. Cheers!

Archived