DigiTech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard

Anderton

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by schnizeer

View Post

I use the dock extender during rehearsal and set the ipad on a music stand in front of me so it is easy to edit and save the sounds without bending over or putting the whole pedal on a table in front of you. Once you save your sounds you are ready to go. Put the ipad back in the pedal for performance

Almost exactly the way I've mentioned in the past that it should be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Den

View Post

I highly encourage anyone to sit down and give this amazing unit a try. I think too many have dismissed it without giving it a chance.

I agree and I don't even own one.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow Den, thanks for doing my job - uh, I mean, for the great comments. smile.gif Interestingly, I was planning on doing a sort of "half-time" report before the next batch of sounds, but you basically took the words right out of my mouth. I am indeed finding this to be an extremely transparent piece of gear. It really comes closer than anything else to providing the "pedalboard experience" in a virtual context.

Quote Originally Posted by Den

View Post

What don't I like? I find it amazing that a unit so well designed on so many levels does not include a tap tempo footswitch. How could something so fundamental have been overlooked? I sure hope a firmware update in the very near future corrects this omission.

I'm also surprised that there's only a single 3-band EQ available. An 8 or 10 band would be so much more useful. It would also be cool to have an EQ that can be used on a global basis. When I run through my StudioLive mixer, I have EQ there I can use to adjust globally for the room, but for small gigs it would be cool to run directly to a powered speaker and have a global EQ for those situations, no mixer required.

Another great feature to have would some tone and sweep controls to apply to the wah pedals since it's great to be able to shape the highs and lows to better work with each patch.

I don't know if you followed the Eleven Rack pro review, but it was sprinkled with comments similar to yours about what people wanted. Guess what? When Avid came out with the expansion pack, the list of features looked just like the wish list in the pro review. For the obvious reasons Avid wouldn't state on the record that they just basically adopted the suggestions from the pro review, but I know the review had a profound influence on the feature set.

All it took was someone who was really into the product following the review. Seems we have one of them here smile.gif So who knows? Maybe someone at DigiTech is working on the code for tap tempo as we speak...

Thanks again to Craig, DigitechRep and the others contributing to this thread.

And thanks to everyone making all these great contributions to this thread. This pro review is definitely what the pro review concept is all about! But there's still plenty to cover...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mannydingo

View Post

Almost exactly the way I've mentioned in the past that it should be done.

Didn't mean to step on your toes, if I did I aplogize. Word is that you know digitech sounds. Looking for a

Schultz Boston sound and a May Queen Violin Sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Members

View Post

Didn't mean to step on your toes, if I did I apologize.

Oh, I didn't mean that it bothered me: just that we thought the same way on that issue.

View Post

Word is that you know digitech sounds. Looking for a

Schultz Boston sound and a May Queen Violin Sound. Any help would be much appreciated.

Me? I don't know a lot about anything and Digitech sounds is on that llist. As for a Scholz sound, maybe my patches are as close as you can get to that sound but not there either. They work good enough, though compared to others I've heard and that's only my opinion. However, one guy heard my Rock and Roll Band recording over a backing track and was wondering when I was going to start playing over the studio guitars. He later read the notes I put that he missed and was surprised to hear it was the Digitech unit right from the start. The backing track is the original song minus guitars. The only time guitars come in is when I would be doing a lead part. Now not everyone is going to agree with that guy. Oh, and I have never attempted a violin sound on the unit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by East Ender

View Post

I just bought this for my son for Christmas and was hoping that someone here could recommend a good gig case for this unit. It appears that he is turning me into a professional roadie and now I need the right equipment to do my job well! Thanks!

We've been using the large Warwick RockCase here at the factory.

DV016_Jpg_Large_158008_small_and_large.j

I have all of the DigiTech clinicians outfitted with them. It is kind of big, but it holds the iPB-10, cables, and PSU perfectly.

For gig bags, personally I've been using the Chrome Citizen with some closed-cell foam on the inside:

CitizenHero_BlackRed_Enlarge_9.jpg

• Members

Christmas came early - unboxed this iPB 10 yesterday. So far the sound is amazing, and the controls are pretty intuitive. Be quick when selecting a new bank of presets - you have about 3-4 seconds to select the band before the iPB reverts back to the preset you were coming from. Sound quality so far is great & for the price it's an economical way to expand your tonal range.

rIMaW.jpg

• Members

Great review & participation by DigiTechRep as well as the community. Its always refreshing to see this level of manufacturer support. New IPB-10 user here. Bought it yesterday so no comments yet on the sound quality or included pedals, amps etc. Initial impression is very very positive though!

Not trying to beat an old horse but the iPad as control panel concept IMHO is a winner. Kudos to DigiTech for building a very robust (physically) product with a well thought out interface. It does appear that there might be some planned feature updates along the way as well which is wonderful.

I have 3 early gripes and I will shamelessly air them here :

1) ipb-Nexus crashes frequently for me on IOS5. Nothing else running on my 32gb iPad 1 and yet I change from patch to patch and down goes the app... The last update to the app was sometime in October and I see others complaining of these crashes in other forums including DigiTech's own. I find it a little hard to accept that a flagship product like the ipb-10 might be allowed to have such a glaring Achilles heel... Apologies to DigiTech if indeed the issue is resolved and somehow my iPad is not picking up the latest update...

2) ipb-Nexus should be allowed to expose its user preset files in the iTunes file sharing area. This would be the easiest way to open the app up for community sound sharing. More eloquent options such as upload/download to a cloud-based repository could be envisaged but at the very least please do allow File Sharing in iTunes.

3) User interface could be improved to make better use of screen real estate. For example, if you are not using any amp & cab simulation the upper screen portion is still blocked by the empty amp & cab placeholders and you have to scroll up & down to see the additional pedals other than the lower 5 that you can see by default. If like me you want to mainly use the pedalboard running in the loop of your tube amp and not worry too much about the amp simulations this could be important for you as well.

Thanks once again for all the assistance. I look forward to getting an update to the IOS app hopefully soon from DigiTech. Season's greetings to all of you. Cheers

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

IR's

Thanks for the quick reply! Can you describe how this is all implemented?

Specifically on the 1/4" ouput jacks, with the switch on the AMP setting? No cab processing or IRs. and are they different IRs than the ones on the XLR outs?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Controverse

View Post

Thanks for the quick reply! Can you describe how this is all implemented?

I can't go into tech specifics, sorry.

Specifically on the 1/4" ouput jacks, with the switch on the AMP setting? No cab processing or IRs. and are they different IRs than the ones on the XLR outs?

They are the same cab models. When you select the AMP setting it removes the cab models, when you select MIXER it applies the same cab models that you have on the saved pedalboard setup to the 1/4" outputs.

• Members

I had an odd error last night...The iPB 10 was powered on and when I plugged my iPad I got a connection error along with an error number. Unfortunately I was not fast enough to grab paper and ink to write it down. During this time the unit would not switch banks or allow any editing of any kind - it was "stuck" on the preset that I had left off using the night before. I eventually powered off the iPB 10, disconnected the iPad, reconnected the iPad and then powered on the iPB 10 I had no further issues. Sounded and worked great from that point on! If it happens again I'll try to grab the error code.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by kwicker

View Post

I had an odd error last night...The iPB 10 was powered on and when I plugged my iPad I got a connection error along with an error number. Unfortunately I was not fast enough to grab paper and ink to write it down. During this time the unit would not switch banks or allow any editing of any kind - it was "stuck" on the preset that I had left off using the night before. I eventually powered off the iPB 10, disconnected the iPad, reconnected the iPad and then powered on the iPB 10 I had no further issues. Sounded and worked great from that point on! If it happens again I'll try to grab the error code.

Had this same problem a couple of weeks ago. It may have been from moving and the app too quickly. I'm pretty quick!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by mck

View Post

Great review & participation by DigiTechRep as well as the community. Its always refreshing to see this level of manufacturer support. New IPB-10 user here. Bought it yesterday so no comments yet on the sound quality or included pedals, amps etc. Initial impression is very very positive though!

Not trying to beat an old horse but the iPad as control panel concept IMHO is a winner. Kudos to DigiTech for building a very robust (physically) product with a well thought out interface. It does appear that there might be some planned feature updates along the way as well which is wonderful.

I have 3 early gripes and I will shamelessly air them here :

1) ipb-Nexus crashes frequently for me on IOS5. Nothing else running on my 32gb iPad 1 and yet I change from patch to patch and down goes the app... The last update to the app was sometime in October and I see others complaining of these crashes in other forums including DigiTech's own. I find it a little hard to accept that a flagship product like the ipb-10 might be allowed to have such a glaring Achilles heel... Apologies to DigiTech if indeed the issue is resolved and somehow my iPad is not picking up the latest update...

2) ipb-Nexus should be allowed to expose its user preset files in the iTunes file sharing area. This would be the easiest way to open the app up for community sound sharing. More eloquent options such as upload/download to a cloud-based repository could be envisaged but at the very least please do allow File Sharing in iTunes.

3) User interface could be improved to make better use of screen real estate. For example, if you are not using any amp & cab simulation the upper screen portion is still blocked by the empty amp & cab placeholders and you have to scroll up & down to see the additional pedals other than the lower 5 that you can see by default. If like me you want to mainly use the pedalboard running in the loop of your tube amp and not worry too much about the amp simulations this could be important for you as well.

Thanks once again for all the assistance. I look forward to getting an update to the IOS app hopefully soon from DigiTech. Season's greetings to all of you. Cheers

Welcome to the forum, MCK!

Can't comment on crashes as I'm not experiencing them, but I like your comments about community file sharing. I'm sure if DigiTech has plans along those lines, DigiTechRep can enlighten us!

• Members

Mck-great suggestions @ file sharing and custom screen real estate settings. No crashes here ( see earlier post @ funky error MSG) & so far having a blast. At some point would like to see additional pedals and perhaps cabs/amps. Would it be possible to build your own of these in the future? Just thinking of how to make an excellent app that much better!

• Members

We need to get you in contact with TCS (Technical Customer Service) right away. what you are describing isn't normal. We have gotten reports of a few iPad "sleep" issues. But nothing like you are describing. Call 801 566 8800 or email support@digitech.com and we'll get you sorted.

We've started getting requests for more community oriented stuff and rest assured we are listening. Be patient with us though, we are in the middle of a revamp of the Sound Community Forums and while we have big plans, it won't be quick.

We've been discussing different schemes to alleviate the problem you are describing. While the pedalboard view can be expanded (and the amp model section reduced) by clicking on the bar that separates the amp models from the pedals, I think we can do better.

• Members

Hi there. I am intrigued by this device but I have a fundamental question. After reading everything posted here, I don't believe anybody has mentioned using this box through a guitar amplifier. I have seen mention of using it through a powered PA system, but nothing about use through a traditional guitar amp. In my case, I have a 1974 SF Deluxe Reverb. This amp sounds great of course and takes to pedals well. So I guess the question is really seeking opinions on the utility of this as part of a live performance rig sitting in front of an amp. Before laying out $500 clams, I would like to hear from folks on this subject. I am sure this sounds great as part of a home studio rig, but am wondering how any of you live performance guitarists out there think. I have never tried ANY multi-effects device, am an old school stand alone pedal sort of guy and am worried about losing the inherent great tone of my amp.

Perhaps a very naive question on my part, but hoping to hear from folks with more experience with this type of rig. Thanks!!

• Members

Craig, Kwicker, thanks for your warm welcome. Its great to be here.

DigiTechRep, thanks for your kind replies. I will do a full hard reset on the iPad thing before calling support. Lets see if its something on my iPad causing this issue. Appreciate your help though.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DigiTechRep

View Post

They are the same cab models. When you select the AMP setting it removes the cab models, when you select MIXER it applies the same cab models that you have on the saved pedalboard setup to the 1/4" outputs.

Ok, thanks. Seems like the IR block is always the last item in the signal path and not movable, or else there would have to be 2 instances of each post-cab FX block running in parallel...is that correct (if you can talk about it)?

Archived