Wow...Hardly Any Announcements from Musik Messe in My Mailbox

Anderton

• Members

Well, a Yamaha sales rep who shall remain nameless said the foot traffic was really slow, they were basically the only major brand there, and wondered if Yamaha would even bother to exhibit next year. I also talked to a software developer...apparently the Superbooth people with all the cool synths and stuff pulled out, and is having their own show which is getting a lot of buzz.

The times they are a-changin'...

• CMS Author

Geez, I wonder what they did to lose so many exhibitors. Could be too many people who are reluctant to travel outside of their own country these days, plus the high cost of hotels and econonic uncertainty in Europe fueled by Brexit v1.0.0.

• Members

I don't personally understand how any manufacturer can (or wants to) pull new products out rabbit-like every year 11 weeks after Namm. Yeah, I know winter Namm isn't where the world flocks..... but.... winter Namm is where the world flocks. It's just the way it is.

Maybe if Musikmese were in July and summer Namm didn't exist .......

• CMS Author

I've always thought of Mese, at least for the tire kickers, as the European NAMM show. It's not unusual to get e-mail about "new" product announcements for the same products at AES, NAMM, and MusikMese.

New product announcements begin as soon as they get an idea for a new product, and they often come around a few times in a year before we actually see the real thing. You know that. ;)

• Members

Musikmesse is phasing out, well less exhibitors are showing up, the crowd will follow

2015 : 108400 visitors from 146 countries and 2257 exhibitors

2016 : 110000 visitors from 130 countries and 2043 exhibitors

2017 : 100000 visitors from 144 countries and 1922 exhibitors

MI growth opportunities are in Asia,

Music China show is growing, seeing year on year 12% increase

2015: 80500 visitors and 1782 exhibitors

2016: 90000 visitors and 1900 exhibitors

2017 : if this trend continues Music China will have more visitors and exhibitors this year (October 2017) than Musikmesse 2017

• CMS Author

And while we're at it, NAB seems to be having trouble filling the hotel rooms that they have at a special show rate. The cut-off date for the NAB rate was a couple of weeks ago, and now a couple of times a week I get an e-mail inviting me to book at the special rate by [fill in a date a week or so away that will be extended for sure].

The travel industry must be doing pretty well (except for little blips like with United Airlines the other day). I usually book a room for the Winter NAMM show in May or June before the rush, and when I looked at the cheap places where I usually stay in Anaheim just a couple of weeks ago, they're up by 50% over last year. I may not be able to justify going to this coming show. And forget Nashville. Hotels near the Convention Center for the NAMM dates have been sky high for years.

Archived