No announcement yet.

DAWs are Not Sports Teams...Are They?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Etienne Rambert View Post
    Prediction: Stand-alone DAW's are dinosaurs. The future will see plug suites with built-in DAW's.
    Eventually, both DAW and plug will be folded into the roms of various devices. The process will be
    automated. Devices like this have been for a long time. Look for a Zoom-size recording studio.
    I dunno... for the most part "devices" are history. Roms that you can get to and otherwise. If you go out far enough.

I wouldn't look for a zoom-size anything once mixed reality, holographic, cloud-only-daw-plugs-ya-wanna-render-a-file-well-wait-a-sec-for-the-cloud-to-download-it-cuz-you-don't-own-the-daw formats hit.

If anything, that'll make standalone daws more coveted and in-demand by those who want control. IE.... I don't see Justin losing any demand for Reaper any time in at least the next 15 years.

(unrelated aside.... Gibson will you STOP plastering that pic of the red,blue,green, and sunburst Les Pauls below this screen...it's making me drool !!!!!!!!!)

Comment

I started with a DOS version of Cakewalk (MIDI only) on an XT clone using an MPU-401 interface and synced it with a tape machine. I graduated to Cakewalk for Windows and started doing a bit of Audio editing but worked mostly with tape.

I dove into it when I got a job working in a studio with a ProTools III TDM system. I did not want to have my face in a computer screen for my own use so I got a Yamaha AW4416 stand-alone unit which was essentially an O2R digital mixer with a built in 16 track hard disk recorder.

I used that for a number of years and got back into ProTools 7. I was using a MacBook and because ProTools was tied to the Digidesign hardware I began to explore Reaper which I had learned about on this forum.

I have become a big fan of Reaper and haven't really used anything else for the last eight years. I like Reaper because it is lean (doesn't take up a lot of computer resources) and because it is easily customized depending on what is needed.
      As a human being, you come with the whole range of inner possibilities
      from the deepest hell to the highest states.

It is up to you which one you choose to explore

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post

I'm curious if any of you started with one DAW, weren't happy, switched to something else, and in the process found a program that really works for you?
        I began with SAW+. I switched both because I wanted a more powerful DAW, but also because the OS at the time, Windows 95, was driving me insane and was extremely unstable and slow. SAW+ was always quick and stable, though.

I switched to Pro Tools based on the advice of a friend who was using it extensively. I still use it, although in many ways, it is a dinosaur of a DAW and has its own issues.

I've tried to switch to Reaper, but I dunno, it made me feel stupid. There's so much configuration to make it do my bidding and such. I really wanted to use it, but due to lack of time and maybe my little peabrain is not very technical, I've struggled with it. When I learned Pro Tools, I had a lot more free time, which is important for learning a new program instead of doing it haphazardly every couple of weeks.
        Ken Lee on 500px / Ken's Photo Store / Ken Lee Photography Facebook Website / Blueberry Buddha Studios / Ajanta Palace Houseboat - Kashmir / Hotel Green View - Kashmir / Eleven Shadows website / Ken Lee Photography Blog / Akai 12-track tape transfers / MY NEW ALBUM! The Mercury Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Anderton View Post
          Has anyone else noticed in DAW forums that people become partisans about DAWs? Like that "We're #1!" mentality of sports teams. I dunno, always seemed to me that the music one creates with the software is more important than the software itself.
          Well yeah, I don't want them to be sports teams, but they kinda are spots teams. Firstly once again Beck pushing back against a misdirected flow of information to remind the world that DAW software is not a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). A Digital Audio Workstation includes all the software and hardware you have in a system. Wiki is mistaken and continues to revise history in this matter and most other areas of interest. Read books and paper journals or you will lose your perspective. Your safety-net is people like me, my memory, and a collecton of fine music oriented magazines going back to the late 70s.

But we're obviously talking about DAW software here, so...

I started with Cool Edit Pro as well and moved along with it into Adobe Audition and have kept an older version of everything, software and hardware that is basically frozen in time. I had access to early Cakewalk but it just didn't fit me well at the time.

An underlying theme in web forums is one vs the other, whether that's Ruger Mini-14 carbine rifle vs Olympic Arms AR15 or other brands etc, or it's an old music forum... TASCAM vs Fostex, Digital in general vs Analog in general, etc.

We've been setup for that by the commercial side of music creating a sort of political or religious zeal among purchasers. Ir started in music magazines and naturally evolved as the web evolved. Combine that with a young argumentative DOS vs Windows vs Mac crowd often with little musical talent without these tools and you do have a partisan divide on your hands. I always thought the music was more important than the tools as well, but I don't think the revenue generating side of all this could do that and still survive.

That side is just a part of a studio with multitrack and half-track analog decks, lots of outboard gear, a big analog recording console, guitars, keyboards, lots of NOS analog tape with no Sticky-shed (Because I know how to avoid that etc).

So in short, people in the computer/electronic music scene have been arguing about which is best since the day I was born.

Is it a bad thing? I don't know. If it keeps people engaged and interested in music creation then maybe not so bad.

Last edited by Beck; 04-12-2017, 11:31 PM.
          <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

“Music is well said to be the speech of angels... nothing among the utterances allowed to man is felt to be so divine."

~Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
          X