She finally came home...

philboking

• Members

I originally got this guitar from a kid around 1982 in exchange for a Hammond L50 organ. He gave me the guitar and a couple hundred bucks for it.

About 30 years ago a good friend of mine needed a guitar due to losing everything in a divorce. I loaned it to him, asking only that he return it when he was done with it.

Last weekend I got it back. He had loaned it to a nephew (who had Dimebag Darrel sign it somewhere along the way).

Yesterday I cleaned it up, put on new strings, did some mechanical work on the bridge, and reset the intonation. I haven't plugged it in yet, but it plays like a dream. There are a few worn frets, but raising the action slightly took care of the slight buzzing.

This morning I was researching the serial number. According to http://www.guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx it was made in Kalamazoo in 1965.

I thought I'd share...

I'll post a photo or two. I was wondering if anyone on the forum knows the name of the model?

Awesome story!

A buddy of mine spotted a Les Paul Firebrand I owned back when I was in my late teens in a music store in Orange County not too long ago, but the store went out of business and it's long-gone now. He recognized it by the outline of a sticker I had on mine - this one had the outline of the sticker remaining, in the same size and place. I'd love to have that guitar for nostalgia if nothing else. It was a good guitar. Glad you got yours back!

Archived