Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Mr. Knobs: Eugene Goostman has a guinea pig, so I guess you're wrong about AI

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Knobs: Eugene Goostman has a guinea pig, so I guess you're wrong about AI

http://www.zdnet.com/computer-chatbo...st-7000030312/

Turing was a very, very smart man, but fooling 30% of any random collection of humans is pretty damn easy. I mean, 30% of people are as dumb as rocks anyhow.
    Last edited by blue2blue; 06-08-2014, 04:41 PM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

And...............they made the AI a foreign child who would be forgiven for grammatical errors. Which made it even easier to fool.

Dan
      http://musicinit.com/fastfingers.php An Experiment in 80's Technology
      http://teachmedrums.com/simplemachinesforum/ MACHINE DRUMMERS FORUM AND CHAT
      http://youtube.com/techristian My YOUTUBE channel
      Music videos at http://musicinit.com/video.php

Comment

People -- make that most people -- don't want to hurt the feelings of foreign child whose English isn't so great. Seems like kind of a cheat.
        Last edited by blue2blue; 06-09-2014, 11:09 AM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blue2blue View Post
          Turing was a very, very smart man, but fooling 30% of any random collection of humans is pretty damn easy. I mean, 30% of people are as dumb as rocks anyhow.
          Please see my sig...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Carlin.

Speaking of conversabots and 60s/70s humor... The Breaking of the President.
            (7'31" excerpt via YouTube)

from the Firesign Theatre's 1971 album, I Think we're All Bozos on This Bus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Think...os_on_This_Bus

(Amazingly, it's only now, 43 years later, that I get the bus pun.Maybe if they'd used the old fashioned buss spelling. Of course, there is also a vehicular bus and that is, indeed, what the title bit of dialog refers to.)
            Last edited by blue2blue; 06-09-2014, 05:52 PM.

Comment

We once dreamed of the day when a computer AI would be indistinguishable from a human. We've reached that day, but, unfortunately we've accomplished it by making people dumber, not computers smarter. See any random Facebook wall or Plurk timeline for confirmation.

Terry D.
              Last edited by MrKnobs; 06-10-2014, 03:53 AM.
              Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

Originally posted by blue2blue View Post
                People -- make that most people -- don't want to hurt the feelings of foreign child whose English isn't so great. Seems like kind of a cheat.
                the excercise is to form an opinion about the interaction -- no feelings would be hurt either way.

however, making the kid foreign excuses linguistic wrinkles that you wouldn't expect from a native speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKnobs View Post
                  We once dreamed of the day when a computer AI would be indistinguishable from a human. We've reached that day, but, unfortunately we've accomplished it by making people dumber, not computers smarter. See any random Facebook wall or Plurk timeline for confirmation.

Terry D.
                  Classic, Terry. Or, should I say: classic Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by Goober(s) View Post

the excercise is to form an opinion about the interaction -- no feelings would be hurt either way.

however, making the kid foreign excuses linguistic wrinkles that you wouldn't expect from a native speaker.
                    Of course, got that, I just think people would also be less probing if they thought they were dealing with a real child.

Comment

The AI That Wasn't: Why 'Eugene Goostman' Didn't Pass The Turing Test Best, Geoff
                      Enthusiasm powers the world.

Comment

I'm pretty sure I've spoken to it online numerous times. Seriously though, it will always come back to interpretation. In our day more people are going to be convinced because people are more easily convinced than they used to be. That is to say, pretty much what Terry said.

"Turing test." Hmmm... seems like its being used too much like "Nyquist Theorem" already. We're doomed for sure.
                        "Everybody loves you when you're six foot in the ground."
                        ~John Lennon

Comment

Maybe a better takeaway from the results is that 1/3 of the participants don't expect much intelligent conversation from a 13-year old Ukranian.