Gorgeus new apogee interface

mobobog

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is Apogee
that
prejudiced where their willing to forsake a boat load of sales?

What do you mean "prejudiced"? Apogee has been in strategic alliance with Apple for some time now. Their eight-channel interface, the Ensemble, was also a product specifically designed for Mac interaction.

In terms of "sacrificing a boatload of sales", Apogee's customer base is comprised mostly of higher-end (i.e. non-hobbyist) users, and in that world, the Mac still reigns supreme. Apogee's customer base has always been more Mac-based, so all they're doing is catering to their existing customers. Apogee's CEO and co-founder is a very smart lady, and I doubt she's doing anything that doesn't make good business sense for the company.

Back to topic: yeah, the Duet looks cool as hell. At $495, I think it'll be a good product for them.

• Members

Hi all,

I'm a newbie...posted once or twice here before. I'm finally trying to finish up my "research" stage before pulling the trigger on my little home recording setup. This setup will be used mostly for demo-ing and songwriting on my own...so probably no more than 2 tracks input at one time, though that could change if I have a few bandmates over to do maybe a couple guitars/vocals at once... I also have an Alesis Fusion that I would like to use....not as a controller for soft synths, but actually use the sounds/samples from that unit (which has been my main "workstation" recently).

My plan is to go with a new iMac with an external firewire drive for recording, along with some low end, but decent sounding monitors like maybe the KRK RP5's (seem to get good "bang for the buck" reviews here?)....although I'm also told the Event ALP-5's are nice in this price range.... anyhow, my main questions is on the audio interface choice:

Right now, my plan is to use Garageband for most of my work, as I am a newbie and I think it will be plenty good for my use....I was set on going with the MOTU Ultralite as my interface, as it gets good reviews with Mac users, has alot of additional inputs for instruments that I could use if needed, and I have a GC gift certificate and could put that towards it However, I saw that Apogee has released the Duet interface...and talking with my Sweetwater rep, he says that, though the number of inputs is lower, it's a bit less expensive and provides what he considers to be superior sounding preamps, etc. Plus it's supposedly designed specifically for mac users. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Apogee interfaces or any info on this new product that might be helpful in making my decision. Right now, the main concern I have with the Duet is just the number of simultaneous inputs. Apparently I can do any combination of 2 inputs from their total of 4 xlr/analog i/o's, and that should be plenty 95% of the time for me, but I'm thinking that the extras might be nice in the event that I have bandmates over to jam simulataneously on some tracks. Any/all thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Z.

• Members

What do you mean "prejudiced"? Apogee has been in strategic alliance with Apple for some time now. Their eight-channel interface, the Ensemble, was also a product specifically designed for Mac interaction.

True, but their higher end gear works with Windows and they still update Windows FW drivers, so unlike Logic this doesn't seem to be the same type of marrige, but I could be wrong.

In terms of "sacrificing a boatload of sales", Apogee's customer base is comprised mostly of higher-end (i.e. non-hobbyist) users

Uh, we are talking about $490.00 unit here, besides I know plenty of Windows users who use their higher and lower end gear. Either way, they are sacraficing a load of sales on this untit no matter how you slice it, especially in that price range. This Apple allience will cost them a lot of sales on this unit. Too bad for them and the Windows users who want to buy it. It's that simple.

• Members

They have a couple of products (miniDAC, MiniMe) that are not Mac-specific, although those are admittedly noticeably more than the Duet. At any rate, it seems they have their bases covered.

BTW, the Ensemble's converters are not as high-quality as, say, the Rosetta 800. So if you are a really high-end user, you're still probably not going to pop for the Ensemble. Apogee seems to be going for this "in between pro-sumer" market by making stuff that's not quite as good as their high-end stuff, but still high-quality.

• Members

Apogee seems to be going for this "in between pro-sumer" market by making stuff that's not quite as good as their high-end stuff, but still high-quality.

Which seems like a great idea to me. And yes, given the choice (i.e. without money consideration), I'd prefer to use a higher-end Apogee converter. But they still have those, and are covering different segments of the market well with products like these.

I also like the way it LOOKS, though that shouldn't matter much and still seems to. And if the audio quality is in line with the Ensemble, for example, most people (like me) would still be really happy with it.

• Members

I was set on going with the MOTU Ultralite as my interface, as it gets good reviews with Mac users, has alot of additional inputs for instruments that I could use if needed, and I have a GC gift certificate and could put that towards it However, I saw that Apogee has released the Duet interface...and talking with my Sweetwater rep, he says that, though the number of inputs is lower, it's a bit less expensive and provides what he considers to be superior sounding preamps, etc. Plus it's supposedly designed specifically for mac users. Just wondering if anyone has experience with Apogee interfaces or any info on this new product that might be helpful in making my decision. Right now, the main concern I have with the Duet is just the number of simultaneous inputs. Apparently I can do any combination of 2 inputs from their total of 4 xlr/analog i/o's, and that should be plenty 95% of the time for me, but I'm thinking that the extras might be nice in the event that I have bandmates over to jam simulataneously on some tracks. Any/all thoughts appreciated.

I have experience with a MOTU 828 MKII and an Apogee Ensemble, both on the Mac. These aren't exactly the 2 units you're talking about, but are similar enough that I think my view is valid.

I have found the MOTU interface is more reliable on the Mac. MOTU has its own firewire driver that seems to work better. Still, for me, I'd rather deal with the occasional hiccup from the Apogee in order to get the better quality preamp and A/D. The sound quality advantage of the Apogee is noticable, especially if you use the built-in preamps.

• Members

Looks cool, but I wish it had MIDI I/O.

At some point, I'll probably dedicate a computer to Logic Audio so I can play its instruments (especially Sculpture) into Pro Tools. A small box that gives me basic, good quality audio/MIDI I/O would be just the ticket. This unit looks like it would cover the audio well both in terms of sound and form factor.

If they add MIDI I/O in a version 2 release, I'll give Duet a serious look.

Best,

Geoff

• Members

arent you doing USB midi with software samplers/sound devices? i have completely rid myself of hardware midi sound modules now. they seem so 1990. unless you have to have that analog synth [which i always track live... some dont have midi even], current software ones are just KILLING anything recent. and all controllers it seems are USB interfaced, and im REALLY suprised things like the moog stuff isnt.

• Members

Which seems like a great idea to me. And yes, given the choice (i.e. without money consideration), I'd prefer to use a higher-end Apogee converter. But they still have those, and are covering different segments of the market well with products like these.

Exactly. Dang, you seem like a really bright guy. They have all their bases covered. I'm sure this cheaper stuff still sounds quite good.

• Members
They have all their bases covered.

Not really, as Lee pointed out the Mini Me and Dac were discontinued so they only have their bases covered one platform, their specifically lacking the lower end for Windows. Maybe at this level it doesn't matter as there are plenty of choices in this price range for both platforms. Time will tell. Either way, I see no logic in this decision whatsoever. Eliminating a major platform = less money, a lot less, not more. It's funny,all their products from top to bottom were cross platform until the last 2. I hope for their sake that Apple is compensating them for the financial loss.

• Members

Apogee's customer base is comprised mostly of higher-end (i.e. non-hobbyist) users, and in that world, the Mac still reigns supreme.

On Pro Tools only. And it seems their left out too with no digital out on this unit. I actually feel better now. :D

• Members

I believe you can use the Ensemble with DAWs other than Logic. However, I believe it does not have the interaction that you would have with the Mac/Logic combo (interaction, etc.), but that you would still be able to use the Ensemble's preamps and converters. If someone knows for sure, please lettuce know.

you can! :D

I found out in my sweetwater catalog, but as you say you dont get the interaction of within the daw as with logic.

About them not supporting windows... well is like apple using the iphone solely with at&t... what about users from other companies? what about latin america, canada, europe, asia!?.... i guess they know what they are doing...

I am remaking my studio, i just bought kore, and komplete... was trying to decide what my next computer would be, and i was 80% sure it would be a pc desktop... now this thing put me thinking again :confused:

But, for the price it has to have outstanding preamps/converters, and i mean GREAT!!! It is in the price range of the tc elecronics Konnekt 24D wich has received great reviews about it

• Members

I am going to keep an eye on how this unit performs.Coming out so late, I would think it should have been tested with the upcoming Leopard OS. If things work out, I may get an Apple computer when finances permit.

I guess it was tested... i went to the "duet users" page and i thought there would be something like "in construction", but no, there are users and opinions already:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/duet.php?section=users

Archived