No announcement yet.

Piper at the Gates of Dawn

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Piper at the Gates of Dawn

I just got a page proof of the article on recording Pink Floyd's "Piper at the Gates of Dawn" that will be in the December issue of EQ. It's freakin' fascinating. One thing I didn't know was that a 3-CD set of Piper (stereo, mono, and miscellaneous material - singles etc.) was released last year. I zipped over to Amazon.com as fast as my mouse could click and ordered one...if this thread is still alive when it comes, I'll post reactions.

Somehow Jeff Touzeau got Norman Smith to open up about the recordings, something I understand he hasn't really done up until now. It's so cool, especially because out of the thousands of albums and CDs that I have, I've probably played "Piper" more than any of them.

Cool beans.
    N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Subscribe, like, and share the links!

More than any other album?
    RIP: Nite Owl Jazz

Comment

Well, I have it from confidential sources that Craig has played "Abba's Greatest Hits" a couple more times than "Piper"...

HAHAHAHAHA...
      My Space

Comment

Freakin great record, and you'll love the box set.
        What The...?
        http://www.what-the.com
        http://www.facebook.com/whattherock
        http://www.myspace.com/whattherock

Comment

Yes. I'm pretty sure second would be Miles Davis' "In a Silent Way," third, Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, and fourth, "Are You Experienced."
          N E W S O N G ! To Say 'No' Would Be a Crime (Remix) is now streamable from my YouTube channel.

Comment

5th would be that Poison album with the 4 transvestites on the cover

Maybe we can all just agree that Bush was stupid and Cheney was lying and call it a day. - guitarcapo

Originally posted by Grumpy_Polecat View Post
            For the record: Hitler using gas to exterminate his presumed enemies does not equal the use of chemical weapons.
            Reprehensible as it was, gassing was a conventional and accepted method for execution at the time. It is a stretch to equivocate the two.

Comment

Oh man, am I the only one here that had never heard of this CD until you posted about it?

[COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"](And no blushing smiley to make my point.)
              My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

So far, Rabid.

I'm guessin' you're just not old...

It's a mighty fine record, if you like your rock on the outside side of progressive.

The All Music write-up might give you a hint of what's up: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:h9frxqr5ldje

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Well, it is 40 years old, so you probably missed it the first time around. But it's considered a true classic, so it's the obligation of those who know about it to turn new generations on to a truly unique recording. Love it or hate it, there's been nothing like it before or since.

Comment

I remember going to EJ Korvette's in Paramus, NJ, just after I got into high school and saw Piper in the bin and thought...hmm...I wonder if it's psychedelic, and if it is, is it good? I had limited funds to buy albums that I was not familiar with at the time. My paper route did not pay much.
                    SPAM - Spunkytoofers Rabbit Hole (circuitbent PS-2) $300 shipped CONUS
                    E-Mu Ultraproteus, power cord, good shape (minor rack wear) $225 + shipping

Comment

Ah... Piper... takes me back to my first experiments with peyote & such, around '67 or so.

Comment

Great Floyd piece in the latest Guitar World
                        http://www.crazydeliciousband.com/

Comment

I remember going to EJ Korvette's in Paramus, NJ, just after I got into high school and saw Piper in the bin and thought...hmm...I wonder if it's psychedelic, and if it is, is it good? I had limited funds to buy albums that I was not familiar with at the time. My paper route did not pay much.

But at Korvette's you could always wait for the label sale!

Comment

Craig, the Piper box is really great. You will enjoy it!

Don't hate the game - hate the player!

Comment

Working...
                            X