Is this a trend?

Hard Truth

• Members

I swear I saw this twice this week on different women: Spike heal boots and crutches!

As someone who's spent the better part of a year (total) on crutches, I'd say such a combination is asking for serious trouble.

I nearly learned the hard way not to dick around with crutches. One of the first things the physical therapists are supposed to do before they release you into the wild on your crutches is to drill it into your head to put both your crutches under one arm when you're going up and down stairways. But I was (relatively) young and (quite) foolhardy back then and ignored the warnings. For a while.

One morning going down the steep, rickety, uneven wooden stairs of my GF's little over-garage apartment where I was staying in after getting out of the hospital, a crutch under each arm, I somehow managed to get it wrong, really wrong, and tipped over -- as though I were hinged at the angle --still propped up over the crutches like a tin soldier falling over -- and down... happily, a couple of guys from my old band were taking me out to breakfast and ended up breaking my fall.

All of a sudden, I remembered I was down to about 105 pounds and pretty damn frail and that my leg, ankle and hip were put together with hardware store items.

It was a valuable lesson in perspective.

Archived