Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Sent an Email to Rick Wakeman

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse









X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Just Sent an Email to Rick Wakeman

    I know it's a long shot, but...

    I've asked him if he'd like to help me re-record a tune I wrote a while ago. It won a songwriting competition. But I used a preset piano-rhythm pattern on my keyboard, so it sounds a bit stilted

    Here's the tune: http://soundcloud.com/songwriter101/you-call-to-me

    I'll let you know if he writes back  :smileyembarrassed:


    a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

    my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

  • #2
    Oh, I just wrote a letter to Katy Perry , asking her ifshe'd be inetrested in dating a fat, poor, balding 54 year old.
    Not a speck of cereal

    Comment


    • UstadKhanAli
      UstadKhanAli commented
      Editing a comment

      Balthazar Munoz wrote:
      Oh, I just wrote a letter to Katy Perry , asking her ifshe'd be inetrested in dating a fat, poor, balding 54 year old.

      While hanging with her by the jacuzzi this weekend, she told me to tell you that she got your letter and says hi.


    • AlamoJoe
      AlamoJoe commented
      Editing a comment

      Oh I don't know...I mean you've seen Russell Brand haven't you? Poster boy for "Homely" magazine. She MARRIED him. Hope springs eternal in the breasts of the hopeless miscreant.

       


  • #3

    Good for you! Sometimes people say yes, and you're doing the right thing by contacting him directly. A lot of famous people have written forewords for my books, and I didn't have compromising pictures of them or anything...I just asked and as luck would have it, I asked nice people. But it seems every time I tried to contact someone through their management company, I never got a response, not even a rude "No, f*ck off."


    I wanted to do a cover of a Julian Cope song to deconstruct the parts as a sort of educational thing about multitracking, and asked through his management company if they would consider it fair use as I wouldn't make any money from it. Never heard a word back.


    OTOH, I'd heard about an up-and-coming songwriter in the UK and asked him directly if I could do a cover version of one of his songs, and he said sure. I'm positive if I'd gone through his management, I would have been blown off and I never would have been able to do a cover of "Black Market Daydreams."


    Here's one more story about the power of just asking. Once I met John Cage after a lecture, and I said "Hey, you want to come over to my apartment and have lunch?" He seemed slightly taken aback, but then said "Sure." So he came over and had lunch. And I realized THAT'S why he was so cool: Some kid he didn't know from Adam could ask if he wanted to come over and have lunch, and he figured hey, why not. That was an important lesson to me about coolness - always say yes, you never know what interesting things might happen as a result.


    Let's see if Rick Wakeman is cool or not.

    _____________________________________________
    There are now 14 music videos posted on my YouTube channel, including four songs by Mark Longworth. Watch the music video playlist, subscribe, and spread the links! Check back often, because there's more to come...

    Comment


    • blue2blue
      blue2blue commented
      Editing a comment

      One of my 3DW friends was working a club here in town and Donovan played that night. After the show Don was kind of hanging around, said to my pal, Look, I don't want to go back to the hotel, how about we go out drinking? 


      These folks are (often) regular human beings (particularly after their fifteen minutes fades and they have a chance to breathe).


      My friend didn't want to go out and went home to bed but, hell, I would have gone out and drank near-beer all night to pick through some of the stories that guy must have. "Tell me about the night at the hotel in Don't Look Back, Don..."


    • UstadKhanAli
      UstadKhanAli commented
      Editing a comment

      Anderton wrote:

      Good for you! Sometimes people say yes, and you're doing the right thing by contacting him directly. A lot of famous people have written forewords for my books, and I didn't have compromising pictures of them or anything...I just asked and as luck would have it, I asked nice people. But it seems every time I tried to contact someone through their management company, I never got a response, not even a rude "No, f*ck off."

      I wanted to do a cover of a Julian Cope song to deconstruct the parts as a sort of educational thing about multitracking, and asked through his management company if they would consider it fair use as I wouldn't make any money from it. Never heard a word back.

      OTOH, I'd heard about an up-and-coming songwriter in the UK and asked him directly if I could do a cover version of one of his songs, and he said sure. I'm positive if I'd gone through his management, I would have been blown off and I never would have been able to do a cover of "Black Market Daydreams."

      Here's one more story about the power of just asking. Once I met John Cage after a lecture, and I said "Hey, you want to come over to my apartment and have lunch?" He seemed slightly taken aback, but then said "Sure." So he came over and had lunch. And I realized THAT'S why he was so cool: Some kid he didn't know from Adam could ask if he wanted to come over and have lunch, and he figured hey, why not. That was an important lesson to me about coolness - always say yes, you never know what interesting things might happen as a result.

      Let's see if Rick Wakeman is cool or not.


      Exactly right.  Great attitude.

      And wow.....you got to hang out with John Cage. 

      Oh, and this is actually true.  My friend was on the game show (the one with the letters, I forget the name) and I was in the audience and came down after filming.  I met Vanna White, talked for a while, and...I'm not usually this bold, but for some reason, I blurted out, "May I kiss you?" and she said yes (and interestingly, didn't visually react to it as an odd request!).  Go figure.  I realize this is on a much smaller scale than having lunch with John Cage, but i thought I'd mention the power of positive thinking nonetheless. 

       


  • #4
    my brother became good friends with John Cage. 1 day they were talking and Jim invited him to dinner and John Cage said, yeah that sounds like fun. I'll bring the mushrooms....
    Kenny Begun
    www.begunaudio.com
    www.kbgunn.com

    Comment


    • #5

      Just received a reply

      "Rick thanks you for approaching him, but sadly isn't taking on any projects
      like these for the foreseeable future. He wishes you well with the
      project...

      Best regards,
      Wayne
      RWCC"

      Oh well, there's always Tony Banks....


      a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

      my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

      Comment


      • UstadKhanAli
        UstadKhanAli commented
        Editing a comment

        MarkydeSad wrote:

        Just received a reply

        "Rick thanks you for approaching him, but sadly isn't taking on any projects
        like these for the foreseeable future. He wishes you well with the
        project...

        Best regards,
        Wayne
        RWCC"

        Oh well, there's always Tony Banks....


        Yes, try him.  Or Vanna White.


      • Geoff Grace
        Geoff Grace commented
        Editing a comment

        MarkydeSad wrote:

        Just received a reply

        "Rick thanks you for approaching him, but sadly isn't taking on any projects
        like these for the foreseeable future. He wishes you well with the
        project...

        Best regards,
        Wayne
        RWCC"

        Oh well, there's always Tony Banks....


        I'd reach out to Kerry Minnear next. Good try though.

         

        Best,

         

        Geoff


    • #6

      Good for you for trying.  Next time I hope you get a yes!

      Comment


      • #7

        I sent out a load of emails last night to American female pianists. Just seemed like a good idea

        One just replied, saying that my song was 'beautiful' and I have some 'Sting' in my voice. That gave me a lift


        a selection of my songs: https://soundcloud.com/songwriter101

        my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SaulTiberiusNads

        Comment


        • UstadKhanAli
          UstadKhanAli commented
          Editing a comment

          Cool, hopefully something good will work out with her or some other pianist.


        • blue2blue
          blue2blue commented
          Editing a comment

          MarkydeSad wrote:

          I sent out a load of emails last night to American female pianists. Just seemed like a good idea


          One just replied, saying that my song was 'beautiful' and I have some 'Sting' in my voice. That gave me a lift




          If you hit the Canadian female pianists, watch out for that Krall dame. I hear her (older) husband gets a bit touchy...  grin 

          Attached Files

      • #8

        Vis-a-vis celebrities:  It really is true that "The bigger they are,  the BIG-ger they are."

        Every paint-stroke takes you farther and farther away from your initial concept. And you have to be thankful for that. Wayne Thiebaud


        Friend me on FACEBOOK!

        Comment



        Working...
        X