Concert ticket prices...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I saw Styx for $4.50 in 1976.

Van Halen in '84 for $11.50.

I think part of the difference today is how many people are involved in these shows.

Years ago you had the band (3-5 guys), a few roadies, a couple sound crew. One bus and a truck. They hired some college kids at each stop to do bull work & security.

Now these bands have 8-9 people playing instruments, 3 backup singers, 20 stage crew, their own security guys, 3 buses, 3 semis, etc.

It's ridiculous. And it goes into the cost.

The hell with them.

• Members

My girlfriend, (god love her) paid $150.00 a PIECE for us to see Aerosmith and Motley Crue.

I believe I paid about $200 per ticket for my lady and I to see the Police last year. It was a birthday present for both of us (we share a b-day).

I"ll tell ya what: it was a great show, but I've also seen plenty of great shows in local bars and clubs and coffeehouses too, that cost me the amount of the tip I gave to the band/artist. And a latte that I would have bought anyway. :)

• Members

I've never been dissapointed in Vai's shows. Did you see him at the HOB Chicago on the Sound Theories tour? That show was really worth the money.

I did indeed. He tore it up! I was expectin an hour, maybe an hour and a half, but he played TWO AND A HALF hours! Totally worth it.

There are very, very few artists / bands I'd pay $150 - $200 to go see... McCartney would be one of them. Both times I went to see him (1976, 1989) he absolutely slayed me. Great shows, good sound, no disappointment. Even got to see Ringo walk out and wave at the first one - nearly gave me a heart attack, considering some of the Beatles reunion rumors that were going around at the time...

• Members

I am lucky that I very rarely have to pay to see show, usually I get paid to see great shows...and its very rare that I can't find a way in if I really want to see someone.

Matter of fact I just ended up with two tickets to see Aimee Mann at the Wiltern...

• Members

Too much.
:(
Not all of them, but some of them...

I got a email from House of Blues today with their upcoming shows. The Blind Melon show is $17.50. A couple of other bands were in the $15 - $17.50 range. Not bad at all, but other than B.M., I hadn't heard of any of them before...

But on the same email "flyer", they had one that left me scratching my head. Foreigner - $57.50. Nearly $60 for FOREIGNER? Same venue, nearly 4X the price?

For a washed up band that hasn't had a hit in decades? One that I didn't really LIKE, even when they were popular?

Whoever determines prices on some of these shows really needs to reconsider...

I don't mind paying $50 for tix to see someone I really like. I think I dropped that on Aimee Mann tickets at HoB, but it was a great show, with a great artist, backed up with a KILLER band. Well worth it. But I wouldn't have tossed $200 on that show... and had it been someone of even greater fame and notoriety, it would have / could have been much more...

And don't get me started on Ticketmaster...
:facepalm:

Sorry for the rant.
:o

First rule, never apologize for a rant. It detracts from the effectiveness. ;)

Archived