strings rusting over

mike-o

• Members

So all year my guitar strings have been building up gunk very quickly. My guitar stays in the case under the futon in our dorm room. Back home, I live a few houses down from the beach, keep the windows open a lot, and keep the guitar on a stand and I've never had this problem. What should I do?

• Members

So all year my guitar strings have been building up gunk very quickly. My guitar stays in the case under the futon in our dorm room. Back home, I live a few houses down from the beach, keep the windows open a lot, and keep the guitar on a stand and I've never had this problem. What should I do?

So you mean in its case the strings are gunking up quicker than when its not? Weird...Try leaving it out of the case, but I guess this may be sketchy in a dorm room(Radford?)...Maybe clean them really well before putting it in the case? Maybe wipe with some naptha (lighter fluid)

I live in Ocean Lakes and leave my guitar on its stand 24/7 with no problems either.

• Members

Which is it? Gunk or rust?

Perhaps one of your roommates messes with your guitar when you are out.

Maybe having the guitar out of the case with the windows open all the time at home prevented the oils and goop off your hands from congealing or eating into the strings by drying away into the circulating air.

• Members

Use Finger Ease on the strings before you even install them. Wipe down the strings after you play and give a shot of Finger Ease up the fretboard and over the strings before you case the guitar.

That silica gel packet idea is a great one too and would work well in conjuction with the above.

Archived